Most Inane TV Market Blog Ever!!

jerseyfla

I have lived in Biloxi, Mississippi sandwiched between the New Orleans and Mobile markets for the last year and a half and I always get the TV happenings around NOLA thanks to a couple of board members here but I was looking for more info on the Mobile side. Well I found it, but geez does it look like it's written by a 5th grader?!! I mean this blog so Inane!! This blogger named Alvin Williams for the Mobile Examiner website (not a real paper, I don't think) blogs about the Mobile/Pensacola TV stations and some of the info is good but most of it is stupid stuff like....

- "A break for the WALA-TV newscast clock"- Apparently the lower third clock was malfunctioning during Fox 10 Morning News.

- "Campus Bookstore advertisement depicts a TV news report with actual call letters" - A college bookstore used the call letters WKTV, which he clarifies is not a REAL TV station in Mobile. DUH!

- "WKRG-TV delays 6:00 PM newscast to finish broadcasting a paid commercial program " - A college basketball game ran long on CBS so he clarified the obvious.

And another thing he does that's laughable is the fact that he has to clarify everything he talks about like ESPN (Entertainment Sports Programming Network) A Cable TV and Satellite programming service or Mel Showers a news anchor or WEAR an ABC station based out of Pensacola (southeast of Mobile).

Here is the link, enjoy!

http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-mobile

Wow. That's really, really bad. Painfully bad, even.

"Local TV stations promote their newscasts during other programs" Scandalous!

"An announcer and a former TV news presenter visit WPMI-TV for an interview" Because walking into a bar is so last year.

"WALA-TV gains rights to new talk show set to begin after another talk show ends" Well, that's good. We wouldn't want them talking over each other, after all.

I've seen this site (Examiner.com) before. From what I could tell, the blogs within it are focused on specific topics within a specific city, and their about page confirms that.

Unfortunately, I don't know if they screen for contributors who probably shouldn't be contributing to a site like that. (The guy's avatar is too small for me to be sure, but he looks like a teenager.)

I've seen this site (Examiner.com) before. From what I could tell, the blogs within it are focused on specific topics within a specific city, and their about page confirms that.

Unfortunately, I don't know if they screen for contributors who probably shouldn't be contributing to a site like that. (The guy's avatar is too small for me to be sure, but he looks like a teenager.)

They don't. Anybody can become an examiner about any topic on that site, whether it's becoming the Mobile TV Examiner or the West Oakland Canine Apparel Examiner. They're all "paid", though it's a very minimal amount (about a cent per page view). Still, I wouldn't be giving this guy money by clicking on his painfully awkward writing about local tv mishaps.

They don't. Anybody can become an examiner about any topic on that site, whether it's becoming the Mobile TV Examiner or the West Oakland Canine Apparel Examiner. They're all "paid", though it's a very minimal amount (about a cent per page view). Still, I wouldn't be giving this guy money by clicking on his painfully awkward writing about local tv mishaps.

Really!! I may signup to be the Biloxi TV Examiner and show this guy up. I can bring insight about the happenings at WLOX and WXXV, plus what's happening in the surrounding markets that the area gets on cable from New Orleans and Mobile.

Well I signed up and submitted an application to become "Biloxi's TV Examiner". Here is my sample article....

Western Harrison County viewers were not very happy to find one of their Fox stations disappeared off of the cable system. Cable One serves cable subscribers from Diamondhead to Pascagoula and those subscribers get some duplicate network affiliate stations such as WWL Channel 4 and WKRG Channel 5 for CBS out of New Orleans and Mobile, respectively. WVUE Channel 8, the Fox affiliate out of New Orleans, owned by New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, appeared on the Cable One lineups in the cities of Gulfport, Long Beach, Pass Christian, and Saucier along with Gulfport based Fox affiliate WXXV Channel 25. That was until New Year's Day when it was replaced by Local Access programming on channel 8, the reason behind it? The Fox television network is cracking down on duplicate stations in certain areas of the country. This is a move to protect the ad revenue for its local affiliates. Cable One had no choice but to follow orders from the network and cut off WVUE. Fox claims that WVUE and WXXV show identical programming, which is mostly true, but there are some factors that makes WVUE the more favorable Fox station in that area. For one, they produce 8.5 hours of news programming on weekdays and an hour or more of news programming on weekends which includes in depth coverage of the Saints, where WXXV hasn't produced a local newscast since December 2000. WVUE televises the popular syndicated game show Jeopardy! Where neither WXXV nor ABC affiliate WLOX televises the game show leaving viewers without Jeopardy!. I spoke with a representative from WXXV on Facebook and they say it was purely the networks decision and that they are looking into acquiring Jeopardy! for the coming Fall. That rep also told me that viewers in Eastern Harrison County and all of Jackson County may lose their secondary Fox affiliate WALA Channel 10 from Mobile if Fox continues to crack down on duplicate affiliates.

What do you think?

Guest Former Member 207

Remember the guy who went on a rant about WEAR being a "notorious ABC affiliate" and pre-empting the first hour of the "Ten Commandments" movie on Easter? I think it's the same guy!

By reading what's been said so far on this thread, I'm thinking it could be the same guy from that area who posts on the Radio-Info classic and national TV boards who goes under the alias "Mario-500". Seems like a nice enough guy, but he can get real annoying whenever he's chastiting fellow posters about writing out full names of people, or someone posts a negative comment. Real "Pollyanna-ish".

• 4 months later...

I'm going to start the Alvin Williams Inane Mobile TV Examiner Article of the Week. If anyone wants to check out my Biloxi TV Examiner articles on Examiner.com, feel free to do so. But just to give you fair warning, I'm not writing award winning material like this guy is.

http://www.examiner.com/article/eye-on-the-storm-program-was-shorter-than-originally-advertised-by-wpmi-tv

Archived