News 12 Networks

Smitha A

15 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Longtime News 12 Long Island morning anchor is leaving the morning show to focus solely on News 12’s “The New Normal” show which airs live at 9am and repeats at 4:30pm. The show airs on all N12 networks. 

I assume you’re referring to Elizabeth Hashagen?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, civic110 said:

You can surely make the case it should have been on their main channel, it did air on News12+ on cable.

Did they ever? Not the channel I would go to to watch.  It was on 2, 4, 5, 7 and 11.  NFL pregames moved to 9 for Fox and 10/55 for CBS. 

39 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

Did they ever? Not the channel I would go to to watch.  It was on 2, 4, 5, 7 and 11.  NFL pregames moved to 9 for Fox and 10/55 for CBS. 

Yes they did. Westchester even used to do an entire tribute and the end listing then names and pictures of those from the viewing counties. They covered ground zero in full every year 

• 4 months later...

Former News 12 Long Island meteorologist Bruce Avery passed away on Saturday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnhYqtnu59_/

Bruce retired last summer from being the general manager of WRHU 88.7 Radio Hofstra University, where I first worked with him as a student. I posted this on my social media accounts and figured I would share it here as well:

Back in 10th grade, I think, my school had "career day" and I was assigned to the broadcasting room. I was excited to see Bruce was one of the guests invited to speak -- I recognized him from doing the weather often on News 12 Long Island. I wanted to say "hi" but I was too nervous to go up to someone I recognized from TV, so I didn't.

Fast forward to my sophomore year at Hofstra when I belatedly applied to join 88.7 FM. Bruce led my interview to see if I'd get into the spring training class. I told him that story from four years earlier. He laughed at the idea of a kid being too star struck to say hello and responded: "Well, hello!" 

In that training class in the spring of 2006 and countless times after, Bruce spoke of wanting WRHU to be ranked as one of the best college radio stations in the nation. And in 2014, that dream reached its goal when The Princeton Review finally recognized WRHU as number one. The station would go on to win many Marconi Awards.

I was lucky enough to have worked with Bruce after school when I freelanced at News 12. He was always very proud to see the students he worked with at Hofstra grow up and find jobs in the industry.

I was always impressed by Bruce's patience with all the kids running around the station acting like they owned the place. Bruce, along his team of Ed Ingles and John Mullen, built the foundation for an environment where we were able to have a ton of fun but also grow and learn. (He also wanted us to be good at it so we could keep the station running and he could sleep nights, of course.) For many of us, it was our first real "job" where we had to learn how to be professional, report for duty on time, be responsible with what we were expected to do, and deal with superiors and colleagues. The skills and experience we developed helped us get internships and jobs, whether they were in broadcasting or not. Not to mention lifelong friendships we all came away with. And that's all thanks to Bruce and his vision.

Thank you for everything, Bruce. You will be missed and your legacy will live on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 10:15 PM, RealNews18 said:

Anthony Carlo (am anchor) had left news 12 the Bronx.. he posted “I’ll be seeing you soon” or something like that.. I guess he’s headed to one of the city channels. 

He’s started this weekend on WABC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 1:10 PM, anchorman said:

Longtime News 12 LI anchor/reporter Danielle Campbell is out at the station effective Friday of this week. Notably, she was part of the 2018 age discrimination lawsuit against Altice, who tried to layoff Campbell at the time. 

Also taking a buyout is station veteran Doug Geed. His last day will be in July.

Here's a full link to the story: https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/doug-geed-danielle-campbell-news-12-nt71t5wb 

With that, Doug and Danielle might be the last surviving true veterans of News12.

I also found this part interesting. I'm guessing this clause wasn't in place for the people who were let go earlier (Eileen Lehpamer wound up a PIX pretty quickly after): 

According to sources, some staffers who accepted the buyout — including Campbell — are also bound by a non-compete clause prohibiting them from working for any other broadcast news outlet within a 100-mile radius of Bethpage for at least a year. The non-compete clause also prohibits work on podcasts, or writing and reporting for internet-based news sites over that period, the sources said. 

What a shame for viewers to hear that Doug and Danielle are out.

Even though News 12 often felt like a cheaper version of the city stations, it was nice getting local news from people who know the island and you've trusted for decades. But with more and more veterans leaving, and the station apparently covering more city and national news, there's less of a reason to watch, unfortunately. Still plenty of good people in front of and behind the camera (and the new people may be fine as well!) but it's feeling much less familiar.

• Like 4

On 3/11/2023 at 1:36 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Here's a full link to the story: https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/doug-geed-danielle-campbell-news-12-nt71t5wb 

With that, Doug and Danielle might be the last surviving true veterans of News12.

I also found this part interesting. I'm guessing this clause wasn't in place for the people who were let go earlier (Eileen Lehpamer wound up a PIX pretty quickly after): 

Are News 12 anchors that well known to require a non compete clause?

I find those strange. We want you out because we dont want to pay you a certain amount, but we also don't want you working anywhere else.

32 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

What a shame for viewers to hear that Doug and Danielle are out.

Even though News 12 often felt like a cheaper version of the city stations, it was nice getting local news from people who know the island and you've trusted for decades. But with more and more veterans leaving, and the station apparently covering more city and national news, there's less of a reason to watch, unfortunately. Still plenty of good people in front of and behind the camera (and the new people may be fine as well!) but it's feeling much less familiar.

Agreed. NYC is a saturated media market. The entire appeal of News 12 was hyperlocal focus on overlooked areas in a massive media market. Now that News 12 has lost it's defining trait, the only reason to watch is a quick news update at anyhour.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MediaZone4K said:

Are News 12 anchors that well known to require a non compete clause?

I find those strange. We want you out because we dont want to pay you a certain amount, but we also don't want you working anywhere else.

Agreed. NYC is a saturated media market. The entire appeal of News 12 was hyperlocal focus on overlooked areas in a massive media market. Now that News 12 has lost it's defining trait, the only reason to watch is a quick news update at anyhour.

I guess it depends.. you had Eileen Lapalmer (not sure of spelling) go right to WPIX.. Anthony Carlo right to WABC.. 

• 4 months later...

News 12 Long Island original Doug Geed signed off from the anchor desk last night. He will continue hosting the taped/on location "The East End" weekend show until the end of the year to help transition it to new hosts.

Doug's also been using his Facebook and Instagram to showcase some of the behind-the-scenes people he's worked with.

https://longisland.news12.com/doug-geed-signs-off-from-anchor-desk-after-37-years-at-news-12-long-island

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

News 12 Long Island original Doug Geed signed off from the anchor desk last night. He will continue hosting the taped/on location "The East End" weekend show until the end of the year to help transition it to new hosts.

Doug's also been using his Facebook and Instagram to showcase some of the behind-the-scenes people he's worked with.

https://longisland.news12.com/doug-geed-signs-off-from-anchor-desk-after-37-years-at-news-12-long-island

Today was also Rich Von Holen last day (executive weather producer/on air meteorologist). I guess there was another round of buy outs. Sad the networks continue to lose the faces and talent everyone has come to know. Fact.. Doug mentioned he accepted a buy out.

Edited by RealNews18

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2023 at 12:28 PM, Geoffrey said:

Seems that she has something lined up… a lot of people seem to be showing up on NewsdayTV. I wonder if that’s where she’ll go 

• 2 weeks later...