News 12 Networks

Smitha A

On 1/16/2022 at 1:14 PM, nynewslover said:

“As a result, News 12 devoted more than 200 hours, including significant amounts of executive management time, to the process of securing coverage for McDonough’s sudden and unexpected absence,” and paid “premium compensation” to cover his on-air shifts, according to the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages."

Oh, boo hoo hoo. Station execs actually had to do some work?

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

“As a result, News 12 devoted more than 200 hours, including significant amounts of executive management time, to the process of securing coverage for McDonough’s sudden and unexpected absence,” and paid “premium compensation” to cover his on-air shifts, according to the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages."

Oh, boo hoo hoo. Station execs actually had to do some work?

Some of these big companies don't understand that people can quit and don't have to put up with their nonsense. This is why we have a "Great Resignation" in the first place. Who the hell wants to get screwed in the ass so much? He asked for a schedule changed. They refused and he walked. Easy as that. I hope this gets laughed out in court and they get to pay his legal fees...

16 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Some of these big companies don't understand that people can quit and don't have to put up with their nonsense. This is why we have a "Great Resignation" in the first place. Who the hell wants to get screwed in the ass so much? He asked for a schedule changed. They refused and he walked. Easy as that. I hope this gets laughed out in court and they get to pay his legal fees...

It's might not be as clear cut as that, as they mentioned there was a two-year contract involved. It might have included provisions of giving an x amount of days notice to quit and vice versa to fire. Or any number of provisions that protects either party from the other in regards to terminating the contract.

While New York is an at-will state, if a contract is involved, the contract's provisions trump certain employment regulations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thats what contracts are for. You cant just quit. He violated it, and a judge will side with the station for damages. Or likely, they will reach a settlement for him to pay back moving expenses etc. If they didnt enforce the contract, no one would take them seriously.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Based on the stories I'm seeing, is it not news 12 Brooklyn anymore, is it just generalized news from nyc or just Brooklyn & the Bronx?

It's a blend of News 12 Brooklyn/Bronx and some stories out of Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island.

I think News 12 NJ covers a bit of Staten Island

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

It's a blend of News 12 Brooklyn/Bronx and some stories out of Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island.

I think News 12 NJ covers a bit of Staten Island

I''ve never noticed any routine Staten Island news on News 12 New Jersey.  The channel is not broadcast there.  From what I read, the major changes are that all the NY stations are merging, with no mention of any changes in CT or NJ.  Time will tell.  If News12NJ becomes another NY centric station, that will become an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

TVSPY, citing TVNewscheck is reporting a wave of resignations at News 12 New Jersey due to a "toxic environment" 

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/mass-resignations-and-allegations-of-toxic-work-environment-at-news12-new-jersey/242201/ (pay wall) 

Here's the TVNC report:

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/article/at-news-12-new-jersey-a-staff-exodus-over-workplace-toxicity-claims/

7 minutes ago, NYTV said:

TVSPY, citing TVNewscheck is reporting a wave of resignations at News 12 New Jersey due to a "toxic environment" 

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/mass-resignations-and-allegations-of-toxic-work-environment-at-news12-new-jersey/242201/ (pay wall) 

Here's the TVNC report:

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/article/at-news-12-new-jersey-a-staff-exodus-over-workplace-toxicity-claims/

I know that Altice is horrific when it comes to how they run News 12, but to hire Audrey Gruber *after* the NY1 fiasco is a whole new level of incompetence. Then again, Altice probably doesn’t care. They seem to have been moving toward integrating the News 12 networks anyway, and these resignations will give their out-of-touch management team an excuse to move further with that effort.

As a NJ resident, without real local news - not filler crap that belongs on news 12 plus, the station is useless. It seemed to stay more local than it’s siblings but that trend has changed the last few months. 

I know NYC stations carry stories for northern NJ and I am sure Philadelphia that stations carry stories for southern NJ - that said, I am surprised that there is not a NJ news program that is produced by owner groups that have stations in NYC and Philadelphia - was this ever tried before? It can be run on one of their sub-channels

Edited by dabx

5 hours ago, dabx said:

I know NYC stations carry stories for northern NJ and I am sure Philadelphia that stations carry stories for southern NJ - that said, I am surprised that there is not a NJ news program that is produced by owner groups that have stations in NYC and Philadelphia - was this ever tried before? It can be run on one of their sub-channels

The deal that was made many years ago was that WWOR ch 9 would move to NJ, and be NJ centric with news.  That lasted a few years when they started to be more a tri-state newscast then dropped NJ coverage after being bought by Fox.  Eventually Fox closed their news department.  Several politicians want to challenge the license in saying Fox is in violation with the old agreement.   Thing is, Fox has closed and destroyed the former studios.  The channel today is of little value with judge shows, many hours of Family Feud and the My Network repeats.   NJPBS has an evening show, but its produced by Thirteen, and is only a half hour, so it scapes the surface of a few news stories.  When News 12 NJ started, it was co-produced with the state's largest newspaper.  That deal ended, and since then Optimum has diluted the effort, getting a lot worse the last few months.  It is a shame since there is a need despite the coverage of big stories by the NY flagships or Philly stations.

9 hours ago, dabx said:

South NJ used to have an NBC affiliate, WMGM 40, which produced local news until Comcast pulled the affiliation from there. WMGM was in the viewing area of their Philly duop of WCAU/WWSI. Members of WMGM would end up creating SNJ Today. 

Fox reneged it obligations on servicing NJ and Optimum must have some franchise obligations to the NJ town they service. How can they get away with this? Are they breaking agreements, of course they Are, any retribution no. Why is the happening? Politicians are being greased - both sides/ they all suck

49 minutes ago, dabx said:

Fox reneged it obligations on servicing NJ and Optimum must have some franchise obligations to the NJ town they service. How can they get away with this? Are they breaking agreements, of course they Are, any retribution no. Why is the happening? Politicians are being greased - both sides/ they all suck

The FCC repealed the "Main Studio" rule- where they had to have a physical location within the state they are licensed to. There were politicians like NJ Sentator Frank Lautenberg, who called for an investigation on Fox's ownership of WWOR, which did occur but Fox would keep ownership of the station.

In other News 12 news, Newsday has reported that Elisa DiStefano has left News 12 Long Island 

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/elisa-distefano-news12-long-island-nqse29gq

Edited by NYTV

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, NYTV said:

After the TVNC report regarding the workplace environment at News 12, owner Alice launched an internal investigation which led to GM Jacques Natz's ouster 

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/article/news-12-gm-jacques-natz-ousted-after-internal-investigation/

Hopefully this will result in N12 New Jersey becoming Jersey centric again with LI stories, paid for stories and other fluff kept to a minimum.  In its current state, it is no longer a go to for NJ news.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 3:35 PM, NowBergen said:

As a NJ resident, without real local news - not filler crap that belongs on news 12 plus, the station is useless. It seemed to stay more local than it’s siblings but that trend has changed the last few months. 

Yup really unfortunately that News12 NJ has fallen too. Its so bad here on Long Island they'll talk about sharks, fluff, with NYC centric and finance news, meanwhile they fail to report on actual news, such as an armed home invasion last night in Old Brookville. The FCC really needs jurisdiction over this situation and soon. These cable networks need to be regulated just like the broadcast stations, especially when areas like New Jersey and Long Island don't have any of their own broadcast TV stations. 

News 12 Long Island moved to Bethpage this week. I don't have access to the channel but one of the anchors posted this:

May be an image of 2 people, people standing, indoor and text that says 'news12'

There's also this mirrored vertical video tour of the studio where Samantha Augeri says this is a temporary studio, which makes me feel better because it definitely seems temporary or secondary from the little I've seen online.

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 1

She said that the main studio will be ready in a couple of months, and the current area they are in will be used for segments. She also said News12 Westchester will be broadcasting from there as well. Definitely seems like an upgrade from their old studios.

It seems like this was in the works since 2018, and likely got delayed with the pandemic considering construction is still ongoing.

https://libn.com/2018/09/13/new-studios-for-news-12/ 

Edited by NYNewsCoverage

• 2 weeks later...

Longtime News 12 Long Island morning anchor Elizabeth Hashagen is leaving the morning show to focus solely on News 12’s “The New Normal” show which airs live at 9am and repeats at 4:30pm. The show airs on all N12 networks. 

Edited by anchorman