News 12 Networks

Smitha A

I say Queens and Staten Island get underserved by the local Newscasts NY1 does a great job covering those areas for TV only way to get Queens or Staten Island News besides NY1 is the Staten Island Advance or Queens Tribune

Well, NY1 treats all boroughs of New York City. So it wouldn’t be like it’s a big deal for anybody outside of Brooklyn and Queens to get News12. Especially when a lot of Staten Islanders still get the Staten Island Advance.

Well, NY1 treats all boroughs of New York City. So it wouldn’t be like it’s a big deal for anybody outside of Brooklyn and Queens to get News12. Especially when a lot of Staten Islanders still get the Staten Island Advance.

NY1 feeds a Queens and Staten Island Newscast every half hour to Cable headends in Queens and Staten Island

Well, you're right. I'm from Staten Island and I don't even have News12 on my cable package. So it doesn't really cover all of the boroughs in NYC.

If Staten Island is not an Altice (Cablevision/Optimum) territory, there is no News12 Staten Island. The News12 stations were placed where the old Cablevision had their systems: Long Island, a good portion of NJ, Bronx, Rockland/Westchester and Connecticut. Altice has extensive coverage in NJ, and made deals for Comcast areas in Essex and Middlesex County and TimeWarner/Spectrum in eastern Bergen to carry News12NJ. No deals with Verizon or satellite. Optimum only just added NY1 to their lineup in NJ, and it is no where the quality of News12 plus only reports NYC news, which is not as important as having a NJ based broadcast.

If Staten Island is not an Altice (Cablevision/Optimum) territory, there is no News12 Staten Island. The News12 stations were placed where the old Cablevision had their systems: Long Island, a good portion of NJ, Bronx, Rockland/Westchester and Connecticut. Altice has extensive coverage in NJ, and made deals for Comcast areas in Essex and Middlesex County and TimeWarner/Spectrum in eastern Bergen to carry News12NJ. No deals with Verizon or satellite. Optimum only just added NY1 to their lineup in NJ, and it is no where the quality of News12 plus only reports NYC news, which is not as important as having a NJ based broadcast.

I'm probably not hoping that Verizon would bring in News12 for their NYC citizens, since the city already has too much local news stations within the area. All of which are covered by all 5 boroughs.

NY1 was in NJ for a while but in Bergen County and had a local NJ newscast until 2014

I'm probably not hoping that Verizon would bring in News12 for their NYC citizens, since the city already has too much local news stations within the area. All of which are covered by all 5 boroughs.

Doubtful tho I heard Fios 1 is carried in Brooklyn in areas served by Altice

Verizon and TWC sighed a agreement not compete with NY1 in TWC areas

So... they don't have it anywhere in most of New York City (considering every borough is a TWC area)? Well that sucks. Well, at least News12 would probably become a better alternative that don't have TWC, even though it's not NYC-oriented.

It is more like belt tightening by Altice. Remember, they combined all the micro regional operations to the LI or Edison NJ studios.

They have really been cutting back on local news content on News 12. Most of the reporters seem to be gone as well. It's mostly National News headlines. The new promo they have even says "bringing the National News home to your town". Honestly don't blame Drew Scott from retiring and there will probably be more retirements coming. Altice ruined what was once a really decent news operation. And it's quite short-sighted, as News 12 was a major selling point of Optimum. Fios 1 News is doing alot better lately.

They have really been cutting back on local news content on News 12. Most of the reporters seem to be gone as well. It's mostly National News headlines. The new promo they have even says "bringing the National News home to your town". Honestly don't blame Drew Scott from retiring and there will probably be more retirements coming. Altice ruined what was once a really decent news operation. And it's quite short-sighted, as News 12 was a major selling point of Optimum. Fios 1 News is doing alot better lately.

Why would anybody need to watch national news coverage from a local news station, if most of them could already get national news from their cable news channels?

What I think they should do.. instead of airing "nightside" ALL night.. They should do a national/tristate news newscast to all of their stations. They can do it at 7 or 8.. base it out of Long Island and on the rest of the newscasts stick to LOCAL news.. obviously talk about what's going on with national stuff here and there.. but go back to LOCAL and have a newscast dedicated to other news.

Why would anybody need to watch national news coverage from a local news station, if most of them could already get national news from their cable news channels?

Because with a stupid slogan like "bringing the National News home to your town"...they figure you will be just stupid enough to think they can do a good( or better) job at presenting national news....on the cheap.

Thus you will sit on your ass all day watching the national news on 12...and eat bon-bons...and buy all that stuff they are advertising.

It's a simple concept eh?

Because with a stupid slogan like "bringing the National News home to your town"...they figure you will be just stupid enough to think they can do a good( or better) job at presenting national news....on the cheap.

Thus you will sit on your ass all day watching the national news on 12...and eat bon-bons...and buy all that stuff they are advertising.

It seems simple, if you don’t have cable or don’t have an Internet TV subscription. I’ll rather go watch cable news if I wanted national news, not from a local news station that wouldn’t get everything.

• Like 1

Compared to the current NY1 graphics I like News 12 better in that dept Fios 1 is eh

To me, NY1's graphics has been the same since 2013. News 12 has been okay from what you've been saying. However, I can't access News 12's coverage because I don't have the channel in my area. Same with FiOS 1, despite having the cable system in my house.

Well here's a photo of their latest News 12 promo, "Bringing the National News Home"

IMG_0075.JPG.12dff2c67bbe95540b4032fc659648a4.JPG

• 6 months later...

Here is the actual press release from Altice:

http://alticeusa.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Altice%20USA%20News%20Release%20%281%29.pdf

Reading through it, it seems they are moving News 12 networks and the US operations/distribution of i24News (it has expanded to Charter Spectrum and one other MSO) into its own division. Nothing indicates there will be any other changes to News12 operations other than moving Patrick Dolan more out of the picture (which should be no surprise). It will allow Altice USA, which is being separated from the parent company, to push for more i24 News carriage across the US and probably some sharing of i24 content on News 12 networks.

• Like 2