News 12 Networks

Smitha A

• 4 weeks later...

In Joe's own words from Friday on Facebook.

HERE IS THE "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" . . . I'M LEAVING NEWS 12.

Today is, in fact, my last day on the air from our studios on Executive Blvd in Yonkers.

I really did not want to make this move, but in the end it was a no brainer. In a couple of months, News 12 will undergo a "consolidation" and our Westchester studios will migrate to our flagship office out in Woodbury, Long Island. I was asked to continue with the company and I accepted (what else could I do?).

But . . . I would had have to more than double my commute to and from work. A 68-mile round trip would have turned into a 150 mile round trip -- plus two treks over the Throggs Neck Bridge. Ultimately, I would have had to uproot my family from bucolic Putnam County -- a place we have grown to love -- to Nassau County.

Completely out of the blue, another local cable news outlet based in lower Westchester called me a few weeks after the consolidation announcement and asked if I would be interested in joining their team?

Immediately, that arduous commute and the need to rapidly sell my home vanished. So it was obvious what I needed to do. If News 12 were staying at our current studios in Yonkers I would have thanked our rival for the offer, but would have remained with the company. So that was the reason for my making the move.

A friend of mine once told me that life is not what you anticipate . . . life is full of re-writes. And for me, this is the biggest re-write of my life.

I will be taking my final bow near the end of tonight's 10 p.m. Night Edition Newscast. It has been a pleasure!

• 8 months later...
Longtime News 12 Long Island anchor Drew Scott is signing off: http://longisland.news12.com/story/36440393/news-12s-drew-scott-signing-off-after-decades-of-sharing-li-stories

Looks like another victim of News 12 cost-cutting. Drew was a class act.

Ehh idk.. I think this actually was Drews choice. His teenage granddaughter recently died and I'm sure that played a major role in his decision

Longtime News 12 Long Island anchor Drew Scott is signing off: http://longisland.news12.com/story/36440393/news-12s-drew-scott-signing-off-after-decades-of-sharing-li-stories

Looks like another victim of News 12 cost-cutting. Drew was a class act.

:53 seconds to say good bye after 20 years of service...

He deserved a lot more time.

And to add insult to injury he has to toss back to the lady that was in diapers 20 years ago.

Good luck Drew...enjoy the normal life.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
:53 seconds to say good bye after 20 years of service...

He deserved a lot more time.

And to add insult to injury he has to toss back to the lady that was in diapers 20 years ago.

Good luck Drew...enjoy the normal life.

Looks like they’re going through financial troubles within their station. I’m not sure if it has to do with ratings, but it could be an important reason.

• Like 2

Looks like they’re going through financial troubles within their station. I’m not sure if it has to do with ratings, but it could be an important reason.

It is more like belt tightening by Altice. Remember, they combined all the micro regional operations to the LI or Edison NJ studios.

Well that’s financially reasonable for a struggling news network.

It does not mean they were struggling. Altice's history, like most acquiring companies, is to cut costs. Beef up the bottom line. With their IPO successful, and rumors of their shopping for another big buy (including Charter), I would not say that company is struggling in any shape or form.

It does not mean they were struggling. Altice's history, like most acquiring companies, is to cut costs. Beef up the bottom line. With their IPO successful, and rumors of their shopping for another big buy (including Charter), I would not say that company is struggling in any shape or form.

Well if they have enough money to buy another company, then they’re just okay.

• Like 1

I dont think NYC Franchise for Cable Systems would allow Altice to buy Charter that would mean Manhattan,Queens and Staten Island will be under Altice Thumb or heck the FCC now I recall Trump opposed the AT&T and Direct TV deal done under Obummer(sorry for getting political) during the campaign trail and Trump opposes Time Warner(Former Parent Company)-AT&T Deal as well

Again I have only seen NEWS 12 one time how is the channel like is it like NY1

I don’t watch News12, but it’s not like NY1 since that channel only broadcasts media to all boroughs of New York City (at least for those who have Time Warner Cable). News12 is more of a tri-state area news station.

I dont think NYC Franchise for Cable Systems would allow Altice to buy Charter that would mean Manhattan,Queens and Staten Island will be under Altice Thumb or heck the FCC now I recall Trump opposed the AT&T and Direct TV deal done under Obummer(sorry for getting political) during the campaign trail and Trump opposes Time Warner(Former Parent Company)-AT&T Deal as well

Not a lot of people in Staten Island that I know of really uses Charter (aside from their Spectrum cable boxes). Same for Manhattan and Queens. So it wouldn’t matter for the majority of those boroughs, but it wouldn’t be a good idea for a company like Altice.

I don’t watch News12, but it’s not like NY1 since that channel only broadcasts media to all boroughs of New York City (at least for those who have Time Warner Cable). News12 is more of a tri-state area news station.

Actually, the News 12 networks are hyper local. I can speak only for News 12 New Jersey and most of the news in NJ centric. Very little from LI, Bronx, Rockland/Westchester, or CT. They are regional, but not tri state, hyper regional in reality.

• Like 1

Actually, the News 12 networks are hyper local. I can speak only for News 12 New Jersey and most of the news in NJ centric. Very little from LI, Bronx, Rockland/Westchester, or CT. They are regional, but not tri state, hyper regional in reality.

Well, you're right. I'm from Staten Island and I don't even have News12 on my cable package. So it doesn't really cover all of the boroughs in NYC.

• Like 2

Not a lot of people in Staten Island that I know of really uses Charter (aside from their Spectrum cable boxes). Same for Manhattan and Queens. So it wouldn’t matter for the majority of those boroughs, but it wouldn’t be a good idea for a company like Altice.

What you mean by this are you talking about those bootleg Analog boxes from the 90s that TWC cracked down and shut down back in 2013 my uncle had one of those

Well, you're right. I'm from Staten Island and I don't even have News12 on my cable package. So it doesn't really cover all of the boroughs in NYC.

I think he meant that it could be tri state operation.News 12 is carried on TWC in Brooklyn also

• Like 2

What you mean by this are you talking about those bootleg Analog boxes from the 90s that TWC cracked down and shut down back in 2013 my uncle had one of those

I mean that not a lot of people that I know had Charter before it had Time Warner Cable. I didn’t mention anything about bootleg cable boxes.

I think he meant that it could be tri state operation.News 12 is carried on TWC in Brooklyn also

Yeah, I meant that it was a tri-state operation. However, it doesn’t carry every area of New York City (Staten Island and Queens) and most of upstate New York.

• Like 1

I mean that not a lot of people that I know had Charter before it had Time Warner Cable. I didn’t mention anything about bootleg cable boxes.

Yeah, I meant that it was a tri-state operation. However, it doesn’t carry every area of New York City (Staten Island and Queens) and most of upstate New York.

I say Queens and Staten Island get underserved by the local Newscasts NY1 does a great job covering those areas for TV only way to get Queens or Staten Island News besides NY1 is the Staten Island Advance or Queens Tribune

• Like 1