NY1 and FiOS1

Smitha A

4 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

Thinking the same thing.  I can't see someone starting up, staffing up something new in this day and age when there already is one available.  It would represent a long standing change in policy that the Dolans had against Verizon.  I suspect it also will include Verizon adding i24News and perhaps Cheddar Business.

I can't imagine News 12 being available on Fios based on Cablevision's longtime strategy.

But Cablevision doesn't exist anymore.  It seems Altice views News 12 as an opportunity to make a profit and not just serve as a loss-leader. So maybe there is potential for something!

3 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I can't imagine News 12 being available on Fios based on Cablevision's longtime strategy.

But Cablevision doesn't exist anymore.  It seems Altice views News 12 as an opportunity to make a profit and not just serve as a loss-leader. So maybe there is potential for something!

The Dolans no longer own or are involved with News12.  It is a different day.  As I mentioned, I suspect this is tied into getting distribution of i24News which Altice also owns and Cheddar Business which they just bought.  In fact the founder/head of Cheddar is now the CEO of the News networks division so gaining more distribution is probably a priority.  It all is beginning to make sense.

10 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

It makes a lot of sense. Comcast makes NECN available to competing cable operators in New England, so this isn't unprecedented.

2 hours ago, newsbot said:

It makes a lot of sense. Comcast makes NECN available to competing cable operators in New England, so this isn't unprecedented.

News12 has been available to Charter and Comcast for many years.  NY1 has been on Optimum for over a year now.  The only competition the Dolans did not allow to carry News12 was Verizon (and of course satellite providers).  Altice clearly has a different objective if our speculation is correct.  Makes sense.

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

News12 has been available to Charter and Comcast for many years.  NY1 has been on Optimum for over a year now.  The only competition the Dolans did not allow to carry News12 was Verizon (and of course satellite providers).  Altice clearly has a different objective if our speculation is correct.  Makes sense.

NY1 was also available on Cablevision systems- BK/BX during the mid-90's and early 2000's until they discontinued it. Can't remember the year when Cablevision disbanded NY1.

Also, I smell a News 12 Westchester-Hudson Valley on Verizon systems to keep up with the current climate of hyper-local news. 

Just wondering what's going to happen out in Long Island since Fios Channel 1 is in New York City, Long Island, and I can't see News 12 Long Island being on Verizon.

UNRELATED DOLAN TALK:  MSG STOCK DOWN 10% at the close of trading yesterday and unrelated talks about selling 1/3 of Knicks & 1/3 of the Rangers.

First reported by Crains Business: https://www.crainsnewyork.com/markets/msg-stock-falls-hopes-dolan-selling-knicks-fade

56 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

NY1 was also available on Cablevision systems- BK/BX during the mid-90's and early 2000's until they discontinued it. Can't remember the year when Cablevision disbanded NY1.

I think Cablevision->Optimum->Altice does in fact carry NY1 in NYC, the reason being that Spectrum and Optimum territories do NOT overlap, so there's no disincentive for Spectrum to license it out. Not sure about RCN though. 

Before Cablevision/Optimum/Altice had all of the systems on Long Island on board, News 12 was offered to any systems that Cablevision didn't own. I know the then-TCI headend in Brookhaven carried News 12 for years until Cablevision took over that system in the late 90s. I think the distinction is more competition.

The NECN example is a bit different as even now Comcast still misses fair chunks of New England - most of Fairfield County, some other splotches of Connecticut, the Worcester area, the Berkshires, northern New Hampshire, most of Maine, and all of Rhode Island. The last one has never been rectified as Cox still refuses to add NECN for unknown reasons. In that case, the competition (FiOS, Hulu, YTTV, PSVue) has the leg up on the legacies.

17 minutes ago, DMA said:

I think Cablevision->Optimum->Altice does in fact carry NY1 in NYC, the reason being that Spectrum and Optimum territories do NOT overlap, so there's no disincentive for Spectrum to license it out. Not sure about RCN though. 

That is correct..

Spectrum: Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island. Parts of Brooklyn: Downtown, Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Gravesend, and parts of Coney Island.

Cablevision/Optimum: Central Brooklyn, and all of The Bronx.

RCN: Manhattan only. Uncertain about outside of Manhattan.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:55 AM, NowBergen said:

NY1 has been on Optimum for years now. They only recently picked up the HD feed and moved NY1 to channel 8 to make way for the Optimum Channel

5 hours ago, NYTV said:

NY1 has been on Optimum for years now. They only recently picked up the HD feed and moved NY1 to channel 8 to make way for the Optimum Channel

Not everywhere.  It was only added in NJ a year ago (not impressed).  It moved to Ch 64 a few months ago.  NJTV is on Ch 8. 

• 2 weeks later...

NY1's morning meteorologist Stacy-Ann Gooden has left the station after 2 years. I don't know if former News 12 full timers Mike Favetta or Sally Ann Mosey will convert full time to NY1 and/or move chief meteorologist John Davitt (who works midday) or evening meteorologist Erick Adame to mornings or hire a new person. (No listings have been posted.)

As I expected including the addition of Cheddar and i24 News. Altice is about distribution for their news networks.  This is not the old Dolan controlled Cablevision anymore.  The “only on cable” & “only on Optimum” branding will go away.  

8 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Does anyone know if News 12 Varsity still exists or are they done doing high school sports?

FiOS1 had been broadcasting high school sporting events and I wonder if they are done in November?

I believe News 12 Varsity vanished as a channel a few years ago. They streamed a smaller selection of games online using a bare bones staff. They then decided to put some games back on TV on News 12 Traffic and Weather, which is now News 12+. I am unsure of the current situation. Their Twitter account hasn't posted since the end of June, though maybe that's just because school was out.

I don't think Fios 1 is doing anything come November. 

This is why they should have a cable access local news station in the tri state area (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut), since many people do want to see their local news from where they live. Especially if it's from a certain cable company that keeps doing this crap since the early 90s (*cough* Time Warner, now known as WarnerMedia *cough*).

20 hours ago, DellFan3030 said:

This is why they should have a cable access local news station in the tri state area (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut), since many people do want to see their local news from where they live. Especially if it's from a certain cable company that keeps doing this crap since the early 90s (*cough* Time Warner, now known as WarnerMedia *cough*).

Do you mean Time Warner Cable that is now Charter Spectrum?  TWC was separated from TimeWarner years ago.  And to your point, I prefer news coming from Edison NJ (News12)  than on in Rye Brook NY.

Just now, NowBergen said:

Do you mean Time Warner Cable that is now Charter Spectrum?  TWC was separated from TimeWarner years ago.  And to your point, I prefer news coming from Edison NJ (News12)  than on in Rye Brook NY.

Oh, if that's the case, then at least have a local news station channel that could run 24/7 (much like NY1, but for anyone who has a television), so at least there would be people who would watch something that came from their area rather than catch up around a specific time for the news slot.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

In the ongoing NY1 lawsuit, a federal judge ruled "Mornings on 1" anchor Pat Kiernan does not disclose his salary to five veteran female reporters [Roma Torre (weekday afternoon anchor), Kristen Shaughnessy (weekend morning anchor), Jeanine Ramirez (reporter and Sunday evening anchor), Vivian Lee (weekend afternoon anchor)and Amanda Farinacci (reporter)] suing the network for age and gender discrimination.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/23/pat-kiernan-doesnt-have-to-disclose-salary-to-anchors-suing-ny1/

5 hours ago, RGSJenkins said:

In the ongoing NY1 lawsuit, a federal judge ruled "Mornings on 1" anchor Pat Kiernan does not disclose his salary to five veteran female reporters [Roma Torre (weekday afternoon anchor), Kristen Shaughnessy (weekend morning anchor), Jeanine Ramirez (reporter and Sunday evening anchor), Vivian Lee (weekend afternoon anchor)and Amanda Farinacci (reporter)] suing the network for age and gender discrimination.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/23/pat-kiernan-doesnt-have-to-disclose-salary-to-anchors-suing-ny1/

*does not need to disclose

And he shouldn't. That's Spectrum's responsibility to do that not his.

• Thanks 1