NY1 and FiOS1

Smitha A

I don’t think NY1 should be merged with WNBC. NY1 should only be meant as a news channel. Although I wish they had coverage for all cable companies and not just Time Warner Cable and Optimum.

I would not support that a merger I am glad Charter bought it out

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but I've noticed that NY1 is now on Ch. 98 on Optimum here in NY.

Somebody mentioned that on this thread a while back. Although, it reminds me that Spectrum should have all cable systems get NY1 in every area of New York City.

Somebody mentioned that on this thread a while back. Although, it reminds me that Spectrum should have all cable systems get NY1 in every area of New York City.

I live in NJ. Work in NJ. It is a wasted station and has poor production values. I checked it out and it looked very amateurish during the day.

I live in NJ. Work in NJ. It is a wasted station and has poor production values. I checked it out and it looked very amateurish during the day.

Well, I don't really think that it should be in areas within New Jersey. I mean it would've been difficult considering some areas of NYC are near New Jersey, but it could be possible if you could get NY1 in NJ.

Mornings on 1 open:

Thank Goodness the Format isnt that much radical change besides being a live newscast however I cant stand Shupak NY1 Traffic Reports prior to 2010 was much better and infomative eventhough they were automated

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

NY1 and the Spectrum News NY stations have upgraded the their weather graphics icons last week.

Old:

[GALLERY=media, 1032]NY1 7 day forecast 9-29-17 by RGSJenkins posted Sep 29, 2017 at 9:24 PM[/GALLERY]

New: (NY1 still uses the percentages on the forecast.)

725366411_bandicam2018-01-2009-21-29-849.jpg.8190b4d7aeab2b77760e5fd680edfbee.jpg

I forgot to add this, four weeks ago NY1 has outsourced their sports highlights to their sister station (27%) SportsNet New York. http://www.publicnow.com/view/C77891E373F93858D660FFBA7A4FA5143FFF29E8

The recorded 5 minute segment called "SNY on NY1" for the first week aired only during the 11pm update Monday to Friday, they now moved it to "NY1 Live at Ten" the week after. This segment (recorded on NY1 because SNY SportsNite airs live at 10:30pm) only airs around 10:50 pm Monday to Fridays only, this doesn't airs on mornings, evenings, or weekends because the main anchors handle it.

The first two weeks SNY used their own L3's (seen below) before switching to NY1's L3's.

IMG_0574.thumb.PNG.45be90fff6d329659c4946bd12970967.PNG

IMG_0573.thumb.PNG.d1fa503d4b0dc3702f35766284a3529e.PNG

• 6 months later...
Another re-cycled weather person re-appears.

Sally Ann Mosley, former of WNBC 4, on the news live at noon, anchored today by Kristen Shaugnessey. Normally Roma Torre is the anchor.

She had also been on News12 New Jersey.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 4:01 PM, mooneyhill1 said:

What if FiOS1 News Lower Hudson Valley, Spectrum News Hudson Valley, Spectrum News NY1, and Spectrum Noticias NY1, be available in Putnam County (NY) on Xfinity/Comcast Digital Cable?

I think FiOS1 News Lower Hudson Valley to be on Channel 1845, Spectrum News Hudson Valley on Channel 1899, Spectrum News NY1 on Channel 2009, and Spectrum Noticias NY1 on Channel 2010.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Fios 1 News is ending: https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/2019/08/18/verizon-shutter-fios-1-news-costing-150-jobs/2029818001/

Nearly 150 people will lose their jobs by November 16th.

They should have put FiOS1 in New York City, especially if they had NY1 exclusive for Time Warner Cable subscribers. I seriously hope they consider that in the near future, even though they just ended their broadcasting in New Jersey.

Perhaps Fios 1 isn't going away? Verizon is ending its contract with RNN but it looks like something else will be there:

Verizon will replace its FiOS1 News channel with a new local television news channel this fall, a company official said Monday afternoon.

"We understand this content is important to our customers and plan to continue to offer hyperlocal news, traffic, weather, high school sports and other fan-favorite local content," said company spokesman Tony McNary. "Those plans will be announced shortly."

McNary's comments came hours after he sent an email Monday morning saying Verizon was shutting down  FiOS1. He did not mention any plans for a successor channel at that time. 

Will it be Fios 1 but produced by someone else? Will it be more in the way of the new News 12+ route?

2 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Perhaps Fios 1 isn't going away? Verizon is ending its contract with RNN but it looks like something else will be there:

Will it be Fios 1 but produced by someone else? Will it be more in the way of the new News 12+ route?

I hope this new local channel is available towards everybody who has FiOS subscribed, instead of a local area that's only available towards a specific cable network. Or at least have different regions for said news network. I really would want that for FiOS.

I always found it odd that FiOS 1 never launched in NYC proper, only in LI, NJ, and LoHud. I know NY1 is king, but it seems to be a major competitive disadvantage. I wonder who Verizon will contract this out to - certainly not NBC or ABC, but I wonder if some link to an Oath Media property would be at play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMA said:

I always found it odd that FiOS 1 never launched in NYC proper, only in LI, NJ, and LoHud. I know NY1 is king, but it seems to be a major competitive disadvantage. I wonder who Verizon will contract this out to - certainly not NBC or ABC, but I wonder if some link to an Oath Media property would be at play. 

NY1 wasn't really king in New York City. Heck, even the local television stations like WNBC or WCBS seems to be king because not only it is widely available towards everyone who lives in the NYC area, but it was also loyal to people for decades. NY1 is still good if you want to listen to local news in the area, but unless you don't have Spectrum cable, then you're out of luck. Which is sad because NY1 used to be one of my favorite channels when I had Time Warner Cable in the 2000s.