NY1 and FiOS1

Smitha A

Anyone aware of any details about this? I looked up NY1 on Wikipedia and it looks like they could be debuting a new local morning show called Mornings on 1.

Pat Kiernan mentioned on Instagram that Mornings on 1 is debuting around the same time as the new news set in October as they're using the new talk set temporary for the moment.

Update: Mornings on 1 will be a three hour live newscast from 6 to 9am weekdays starting around October 23rd with Pat Kiernan, Jamie Stelter with traffic, and Stacy-Ann Gooden with the weather.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/ny1-switching-live-three-hour-morning-show-article-1.3509485

Right now, the only live newscasts are a 30 minute 8am newscast every day, Noon (an hour weekdays, and an half-hour on weekends), and 10 minute update at 6pm on the weekends only. Only the live shot and sports are live during News at 11.

• 2 weeks later...

Good and bad news for NY1.

Good: Pat Kiernan celebrated 20 years as morning anchor today by handing out free breakfast to people and mentioned that Mornings on 1 will debut on October 23rd. And Optimum has finally starting broadcasting NY1 in HD (NY1 Noticias is still in SD).

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2017/09/29/pat-kiernan-20-years-at-ny1.html

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/special-reports/pat-kiernan-20th-anniversary.html

Bad: Sports on 1: The Last Word, a late night call-in sports show has been cancelled after 25 years yesterday, as FTV Live reported earlier this month that the entire sports department will be shut down.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/9/1/eliminating-sports-in-the-big-apple

[MEDIA=twitter]913563456913182720[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]913606957092700160[/MEDIA]

Good and bad news for NY1.

Good: Pat Kiernan celebrated 20 years as morning anchor today by handing out free breakfast to people and mentioned that Mornings on 1 will debut on October 23rd. And Optimum has finally starting broadcasting NY1 in HD (NY1 Noticias is still in SD).

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2017/09/29/pat-kiernan-20-years-at-ny1.html

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/special-reports/pat-kiernan-20th-anniversary.html

Bad: Sports on 1: The Last Word, a late night call-in sports show has been cancelled after 25 years yesterday, as FTV Live reported earlier this month that the entire sports department will be shut down.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/9/1/eliminating-sports-in-the-big-apple

[MEDIA=twitter]913563456913182720[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]913606957092700160[/MEDIA]

I don't post much on here but ever since Charter Communication took over, they've done an incredible job trying to destroy NY1. Them getting rid of The Call, firing all those reporters and now getting rid of the ENTIRE Sports Department? This is disgusting and I wonder how much longer this station will even be around. Just pitiful smh

• Like 3

I don't post much on here but ever since Charter Communication took over, they've done an incredible job trying to destroy NY1. Them getting rid of The Call, firing all those reporters and now getting rid of the ENTIRE Sports Department? This is disgusting and I wonder how much longer this station will even be around. Just pitiful smh

Sports is expensive to cover. Access to game highlights is expensive, access to technical facilities at NY/NJ stadiums and arenas is expensive and the NY teams and leagues have their own channels and networks so they virtually spit on the locals. Add to that, the locals are barred from using any of it online. Local stations everywhere have been cutting back on Sports for years because it's a pain in the ass and a (local) money pit. Viewers who care can get what they want elsewhere. And despite the predictions of doom, no station has fallen off the Nielsen map because they cut back or eliminated Sports.

NY1 has made a decision to concentrate on what their core viewers seem to turn to them for the most: Intense transit and commuter coverage; and hyper-local neighborhood and borough news that the broadcast locals can't/don't offer.

NY1 has a very loyal and committed New York audience that doesn't place Sports high on their priority list. I don't know what Charter has in mind for its future, but don't assume the end of Sports is a death knell. It could be quite the opposite: A decision to concentrate on why the channel has been successful for so long.

• Like 4

Sad to see how NY1 canned Sports on 1 I actually liked that show compared to anything on FS1 or ESPN these days.So many good programs have been canned The Call,One On One,NYT Close Up.I dont like the new Mornings on 1 format starting Oct 23 part of the reason why I loved NY1 so much it was Hyper Local and not Personality Driven if I want that I could watch GDNY on WNYW(FOX 5) or Eyewitness News on WABC(ABC 7). At this point I would prefer FIOS 1 or News 12 even though they been going through some issues.

100 Percent agree Charter is basically destroying the heart and soul of that Station its losing its quirkyness

• Like 1

Recently they seemed to hire a lot more sports people. Now that they canned "Sports on 1, the Last Word" after 25 years on the air, they all get canned. Including long time employees Budd Mishkin and Kevin Gerrity.

I agree that sports is expensive for them to cover and they only do it for an hour every night, but it will be missed after 25 years of it. Another enhcancement by Spectrum I suppose.

UPDATE(1)-Spectrum News for most of their networks has Updated their Website Design NY1 and NY1 Noticias were the first only channels left are Bay News 9 and News 13 that have not updated to the new design.

UPDATE(2)-NY1 Since its Launch back in 1992 can now be watched on Optimum systems in Long Island plus CT

• Like 2

UPDATE(1)-Spectrum News for most of their networks has Updated their Website Design NY1 and NY1 Noticias were the first only channels left are Bay News 9 and News 13 that have not updated to the new design.

UPDATE(2)-NY1 Since its Launch back in 1992 can now be watched on Optimum systems in Long Island plus CT

And NJ but who cares, we have News12NJ. I watched for a few minutes midday today, and sorry folks, it seemed quite amateurish.

Rockland County got it too.Watched it midday today.. wasn't impressed. News 12 is better

Rockland County got it too.Watched it midday today.. wasn't impressed. News 12 is better

News 12 seems to have much more staff than NY1 or the Spectrum News Networks.NY1 is only good if you want to follow City Politics like Inside City Hall or for News that occurs outside of Manhattan or the Suburbs.NY1 covers Queens,and Staten Island better than the Local O&O

• Like 1

And NJ but who cares, we have News12NJ. I watched for a few minutes midday today, and sorry folks, it seemed quite amateurish.

NY1 was already in New Jersey in fact until 2014 they use to have a short newscast called Your New Jersey News Now which aired after the main newscast.They canned it when they rebranded to Time Warner Cable News NY1.However it was only watchable on Time Warner Cable in Bergen County and Northern New Jersey

No we've never got that. I believe that starts in Dutchess or Ulster.. maybe even Orange

Yeah whenever I am Upstate to visit Family They have Spectrum News there they live in Sullivan County near Orange County I am guessing Charter does not carry News 12 there

Yeah whenever I am Upstate to visit Family They have Spectrum News there they live in Sullivan County near Orange County I am guessing Charter does not carry News 12 there

I looked at News 12's website and they usually do service for only the Bronx, Brooklyn, Connecticut, Long Island, Hudson Valley, and Westchester (the latter in which they're from New York). I guess that makes sense since my grandma lives in Northwest Connecticut and she might have the channel in her Charter package.

• Like 2

I looked at News 12's website and they usually do service for only the Bronx, Brooklyn, Connecticut, Long Island, Hudson Valley, and Westchester (the latter in which they're from New York). I guess that makes sense since my grandma lives in Northwest Connecticut and she might have the channel in her Charter package.

New12 New Jersey operates statewide, broadcast not just on Optimum, but also is carried by Comcast and the area that is CharterSpectrum. They still operate their own studio and newsroom in Edison.

• Like 3

New12 New Jersey operates statewide, broadcast not just on Optimum, but also is carried by Comcast and the area that is CharterSpectrum. They still operate their own studio and newsroom in Edison.

That as well. Although they still don’t bring in coverage for News12 in the entire NYC area. Especially in Queens, Staten Island, and Manhattan.

• Like 1

News 12 in Westchester and Hudson Valley is on Charter I heard

News 12 is carried by Service Electric in NJ and PA.NY1 in Brooklyn and Bronx is on Altice Optimum

• Like 2