NY1 and FiOS1

Smitha A

• 2 months later...

Sports on 1 has a new look and theme tonight. New York Tonight also recieved a graphics and theme refresh. Me thinks there's a complete rebrand on the horizon.

Well it's about time. They've been using the same graphics on NY1 for about 10 years now. They are WAY overdue for a new everything IMO.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NY1 reporter Vivian Lee was reportedly attacked Friday morning while preparing to do a story in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn by a woman adorned with a white sheet (with a T-shirt underneath it, as well as sweatpants and green flip-flops) who entered into a NY1 news van, who was caught using Lee’s make-up and eating snacks. Lee asked the woman to leave, and the woman allegedly swung at Lee and not long afterward, punched Lee in the neck. The driver of the vehicle apprehended the attacker until authorities arrived. The story Lee was working on at the time the incident occurred was about a 61-year-old man that died Thursday night after part of a church steeple fell onto a street after it was struck by lightning during a line of strong to severe thunderstorms that moved through the Tri-State area that evening.

• 1 month later...

Today is a big day for NY1 because today is NY1's 20th Anniversary. September 8th, 1992 was NY1's first day on the air. I remember how big a deal it was when it was coming on and in 1993 I was finally able to watch it cause my mom and I moved to Manhattan and I instantly loved it and it has remained one of my favorite networks. I'm looking forward to the next 20 years of NY1. I just wish TWC would let the station be on all cable systems but it is what it is.

Happy Birthday NY1!

• 5 months later...

They say it's always good to keep your face on tv to keep from getting rusty and in hopes of the next big opportunity. Jim Watkins is on FiOS1 News this morning, filling in for CJ Papa. That's really scraping the bottom although I applaud him for his tenacity. I really hope he does get something big since he's very good. How can he do this though? I thought he was on News12 Westchester. Cablevision and Verizon are direct competitors.

They say it's always good to keep your face on tv to keep from getting rusty and in hopes of the next big opportunity. Jim Watkins is on FiOS1 News this morning, filling in for CJ Papa. That's really scraping the bottom although I applaud him for his tenacity. I really hope he does get something big since he's very good. How can he do this though? I thought he was on News12 Westchester. Cablevision and Verizon are direct competitors.

He's freelancing.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FiOS1 is now broadcasting in HD.

Someone noticed a new FiOS1 Channel for the lower Hudson Valley.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Please-add-FIOS-1-501-HD-Lower-Hudson-NY-on-STBs-for-Downstate/idi-p/694494

I was able to detect it on my qam turner in the LI region. Here are some snapshots of the grahpics (from the LoHud feed)

[ATTACH]1344.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1345.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1346.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1347.IPB[/ATTACH]

img00032.thumb.png.24a9d18c14fa0bda0c214207c5617855.png

img00030.thumb.png.74eb47dc641e2b9aeb3a1f857e55107e.png

img00031.thumb.png.0c54a5cb835dff1b759cc6080be8a9ad.png

img00034.thumb.png.03e1df3f5830360ea823bb04af1f1bc4.png

• 5 months later...

FiOS is not on par with News12 yet but they are getting there.

The big difference between FiOS1 and News12 is that FiOS1 only does one live newscast at 5pm that is broadcast to all FIOS1 areas.

The other FiOS1 newscasts are regional for NJ, Hudson Valey & Long Island and they are recorded than broadcast.

When there is breaking news FiOS can go live to cover it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

NY1 has a new set, it premiered on September 6th first for "Inside City Hall". All programming now comes from this set since the 13th.

The walls do change color, blue for news, dark purple for "Inside City Hall", teal for "Sports on 1", and light purple for "In Focus with Cheryl Willis" (a new Spectrum News public affairs show.)

ee4cf1601555443.jpgc209ac601555573.jpg2686fb601555783.jpg

c039f6601555643.jpg1decd7601556043.jpg764dd9601556223.jpg

[MEDIA=twitter]907968329448640513[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

More of the new set:

[MEDIA=twitter]905563988569849857[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]908896634813210624[/MEDIA]

It replaces this main news set which was in use since December 16th, 2013.

P.S: NY1 finally added more in-house on-air meteorologists. Stacy-Ann Gooden (from WNYW & News 12) for mornings, and Erick Adame (from their sister station in Syracuse) in the evenings.

4cd004601554763.jpgeecbab601554853.jpg