WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

He seems like a nice guy, but Ben Simmoneau is a brutal watch. No personality, not suited for morning show small talk, particularly when he fills in on GDNY.

I agree. I could see him getting bumped to the 6pm "more serious" newcast if/when Ernie retires. They need a lighter personality for GDWU.

Ben and Taresa would make a great 6pm team. I honestly don't see the format they have now lasting much longer unless sweeps results prove me wrong

Definitely agree; Ben is a great hard news anchor and Teresa deserves the promotion. The Ernie Anastos format is something that they should stick on Sundays like WABC, WPIX, and WCBS does with Diana Williams, Marvin Scott, and Dana Tyler respectively. I also noticed that Ernie Anastos still does the live teases for the 5pm show during the 3pm hour, instead of Steve or Dari.

I'm sure in due time we'll see Ben anchoring the evening news. And would a station in the #1 market really hire someone who was a street reporter in Philadelphia to anchoring a prime time newscast? I think WNYW played it safe by placing him in the mornings before promoting him to evenings (That's if he actually stays around long enough to find out)

I'm sure in due time we'll see Ben anchoring the evening news. And would a station in the #1 market really hire someone who was a street reporter in Philadelphia to anchoring a prime time newscast? I think WNYW played it safe by placing him in the mornings before promoting him to evenings (That's if he actually stays around long enough to find out)

He was actually a anchor/reporter in Philly. He anchored weekend mornings and was a fill-in on weekday mornings.

I actually happen to like Ben, a lot, so maybe I am biased. I will however say, he is not someone who does well with a not so great co-anchor. He is fantastic IMO with Juliet and with Teresa Priolo, who are both fantastic.

I cannot watch the pairing of him and Kerry Drew... But Kerry is the real issue, dry as a bone with a forced fake personality there.

And, watching Friday was rough, I am not a huge fan of Alison Morris, something about her doesn't work with me

Yes, Morris was awful paired with Ben, and she is a Juliet look alike with the short hair but with no personality (as opposed to Juliet who you either love or hate - I think she's great). Very unimpressed by Morris on Friday.

Why don't they ever allow Juliet to appear on GDNY as fill in anchor? She will work the wake-up shift and then be sent to the street to report while somebody else (e.g. Drew, Priolo or this Morris) fills in.

As stated before, I do not see Ben as morning show material where you need to be a bit looser and able to banter back and forth. Greg does it in his own awkward way which makes the show what it is..... Again while Ben seems like a nice guy, he comes across as a boring wet noodle type.

Also, I brought it up in the past, but Mike Woods seems to take many many days off..

Obviously Steve was excellent in the GDWU role (which is why he was promoted to the top spot). Antwan should have been left on GDWU/GDNY where his outgoing personality would shine.

Yes, Morris was awful paired with Ben, and she is a Juliet look alike with the short hair but with no personality (as opposed to Juliet who you either love or hate - I think she's great). Very unimpressed by Morris on Friday.

Why don't they ever allow Juliet to appear on GDNY as fill in anchor? She will work the wake-up shift and then be sent to the street to report while somebody else (e.g. Drew, Priolo or this Morris) fills in.

As stated before, I do not see Ben as morning show material where you need to be a bit looser and able to banter back and forth. Greg does it in his own awkward way which makes the show what it is..... Again while Ben seems like a nice guy, he comes across as a boring wet noodle type.

Also, I brought it up in the past, but Mike Woods seems to take many many days off..

Obviously Steve was excellent in the GDWU role (which is why he was promoted to the top spot). Antwan should have been left on GDWU/GDNY where his outgoing personality would shine.

Good point; maybe they should've had Ben anchor with Christina instead of Antwan? But I still think Antwan and Christina are great together. Ben and Juliet are OK, but not my favorite. All along I've been thinking it's Juliet that's been turning me away from GDWU, but maybe it's Ben's dry personality and I'm not realizing it. I'll have to see how Juliet does with another male co-anchor and decide from there. Haven't seen Morris fill in but based on the work I've seen from her she doesn't see like that great of an anchor.

From what I found seems he only anchored on Sunday Mornings and reported the rest of the time.

I think at the time he anchored weekend mornings was during the era where CBS3 had cut Saturday mornings. He may have left before Saturday mornings returned. As for filling in, he's filled in for Ukee weekday mornings and also for Natasha on weekend evenings. Regardless of what you "found", I live in the Philly DMA and have seen it with my own eyes.

What I would love to see happen to GDWU that would probably never happen is this...

Antwan has proven how great he is on GDWU... And I think Christina was fantastic when she was on GDWU years ago with Reid Lamberty.... And, they have shown they are amazing together... It should be a no-brainer, Christina and Antwan for GDWU!

I have to say, Fox 5 is so lucky that they, in my opinion have 2 fantastic perspectives to take on major anchor roles in the years to come if any leads are to leave - Teresa Priolo and Christina Park... I think those two are just too great to be a reporter/fill in anchor and weekend anchor.

I think at the time he anchored weekend mornings was during the era where CBS3 had cut Saturday mornings. He may have left before Saturday mornings returned. As for filling in, he's filled in for Ukee weekday mornings and also for Natasha on weekend evenings. Regardless of what you "found", I live in the Philly DMA and have seen it with my own eyes.

Good for you :rolleyes: And I found my info from the CBS philly website itself wasn't that hard to do.

Good for you :rolleyes: And I found my info from the CBS philly website itself wasn't that hard to do.

It just seemed like you were questioning my initial post, as if I was imagining things or making them up. I am sorry if I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

I completely disagree about the Ben/Juliet Good Day Early Call/Wakeup team. I am a longtime viewer of CBS 2's morning newscast, but I've recently made the switch to GDWU, and find Juliet and Ben to be a great team. Juliet has really loosened Ben up quite a bit, and they seem to be having a lot of fun in the morning (although I agree that people seem to either love or hate Juliet - there's no in between). I, too, wonder why Juilet never fills in for Rosanna on the main show.

I completely disagree about the Ben/Juliet Good Day Early Call/Wakeup team. I am a longtime viewer of CBS 2's morning newscast, but I've recently made the switch to GDWU, and find Juliet and Ben to be a great team. Juliet has really loosened Ben up quite a bit, and they seem to be having a lot of fun in the morning (although I agree that people seem to either love or hate Juliet - there's no in between). I, too, wonder why Juilet never fills in for Rosanna on the main show.

While I prefer WABC if I'm up earlier I do agree.. I find my self watching them more often.. I wish Juliet would fill in for Rosanna.. I feel she and Greg would get along... Maybe she goes and does other stuff at FNC or something?

While I prefer WABC if I'm up earlier I do agree.. I find my self watching them more often.. I wish Juliet would fill in for Rosanna.. I feel she and Greg would get along... Maybe she goes and does other stuff at FNC or something?

No, many times when Rosanna is out, Juliet does GDWU and then is sent to do field reporting with another sub stepping in for Rosanna. Whereas Ben will do GDWU and cover for Greg until 10. Seems like somebody does not want Juliet on the GDNY show. I think she'd be great. Her old show with Jerrick and on Fox News Channel was great - when she was able to interview and chat as opposed to read news.

I hope that Fox 5 gets these fill in anchors right, with so much talent (Priolo, Park, even Drew and Crowley) Alison Morris should not be allowed to sit at the anchor desk. Last week with Ben Simmoneau, and last night with Steve Lacy, she is just unwatchable, more that any other anchor I have seen on WNYW. I'd rather Dari!

I hope that Fox 5 gets these fill in anchors right, with so much talent (Priolo, Park, even Drew and Crowley) Alison Morris should not be allowed to sit at the anchor desk. Last week with Ben Simmoneau, and last night with Steve Lacy, she is just unwatchable, more that any other anchor I have seen on WNYW. I'd rather Dari!

Agreed I don't know what they see in morris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...