WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

This is how he justifies giving away his small piece of the pie that he will NEVER get back again.

Why on earth would you even consider giving away just one viewer, when your viewers are eroding at a gigantic rate?

I bet not one cent of the money he "saves" goes to improving the news product in any way shape or form.

One thing I know for sure,..

This piece is written by one hell of an ass kisser trying to impress the suits at FOX.

You are not going to attract new viewers by cutting sports coverage.

You cannot keep viewers as it is anyway ...so why piss off more?

But hey Mr. Ass kisser...you keep telling yourself you are the "first" to suggest this concept...because you are not.

Many stations have tried this radical move only to rebound (catchy) a few months later with heavy late night and weekend sports commitments featuring local major and minor teams, along with heavy prep sports coverage that make them buko bank.

He should try to cut off a few toes to save room in his loafers...and see if those toes ever grow back on demand.

• Like 2

Please tell me I'm not the only one who is getting completely agitated by how all of the anchors, especially Juliet Huddy & Kerry Pinkcheeks, are being told to somehow express their opinions for each story. I don't mind the idea of it in theory, but just the fact that I know they're only doing it because they're TOLD to do it makes me absolutely hate it because it feels so forced. And it DEFINITELY doesn't help that their "opinions" never go far beyond saying simple crap that we don't need to be told, like "oh that's terrible" or "hopefully they catch this guy."

I know damn well how little my view counts in the grand scheme of things but I might stop watching the Fox 5 news simply out of petty spite.

• Like 1

Please tell me I'm not the only one who is getting completely agitated by how all of the anchors, especially Juliet Huddy & Kerry Pinkcheeks, are being told to somehow express their opinions for each story. I don't mind the idea of it in theory, but just the fact that I know they're only doing it because they're TOLD to do it makes me absolutely hate it because it feels so forced. And it DEFINITELY doesn't help that their "opinions" never go far beyond saying simple crap that we don't need to be told, like "oh that's terrible" or "hopefully they catch this guy."

I know damn well how little my view counts in the grand scheme of things but I might stop watching the Fox 5 news simply out of petty spite.

Pretty sure it's a group wide mandate. We are seeing the same thing at KTVU in Oakland with anchor Frank Somerville.

It's stepping off into the deep end of the cess pool.

There is NO way they can ever go back now.

• 3 weeks later...

This station is in shambles. Who would've thought Ben was the last good thing about it

Stop dedicating the second half of the morning news to food and chatty patty gossip about celebrities. Stop telling me to download your damn weather app.

• Like 1

This station is in shambles. Who would've thought Ben was the last good thing about it

Stop dedicating the second half of the morning news to food and chatty patty gossip about celebrities. Stop telling me to download your damn weather app.

They only want you to download the WX app for all the crap that's attached to it...

Tracking , malware, etc.

If you download that app beware it will eat all your pokemons...or pokemans whatever they are called.

• Like 1

Can they PLEASE get this jackass Curtis Sliwa off of the early morning segments? Oh my god, I can't even put into words how obnoxious he is. What is his purpose? He's not edgy, his fake dialect is annoying as hell, I can go on if I cared to. Get rid of him.

• Like 1

Can they PLEASE get this jackass Curtis Sliwa off of the early morning segments? Oh my god, I can't even put into words how obnoxious he is. What is his purpose? He's not edgy, his fake dialect is annoying as hell, I can go on if I cared to. Get rid of him.

That's just his personality. He does the same on his radio show on WABC-AM and all the national shows he's on. He's not a member of the team, he's just invited because of his personality.

• 1 month later...
Heard a rumor that Juliet Huddy is out from a fly on the wall. The timing of it (Ailes I believe is her godfather) is something.

I think you are correct. If anyone watched Good Day Wake Up on Thursday morning, Juliet made little throw-away comments during the whole show (and all week, for that matter) that made it pretty obvious to me that it was her last day on the show, even though she did not say anything definitive.

The crew also played her favorite music during each tease, which she alluded to in a tweet:

[MEDIA=twitter]771292380666425344[/MEDIA]

She also has made a few comments on Twitter over the past few weeks that seem to indicate that her contract may not be renewed:

[MEDIA=twitter]769115275664973824[/MEDIA]

Again, these tweets are not definitive proof, but I think if you read between the lines, it's very likely that she's gone (or, at the very least, not anchoring GDWU anymore).

Juliet was off Friday for vacation, but the fill-in anchors (Antwan and Kerry) did not mention that they were in for Juliet once all morning (again, not definitive proof, but one more piece of circumstantial evidence).

If she's really gone, this is a huge loss. GDWU was HER show for 4 years. It hasn't been the same since Ben Simmoneau left in May, but Juliet continued to make it fun and interesting, even with a rotating lineup of fill-in anchors beside her. Plus, if Thursday was her last morning and they didn't let her say goodbye, shame on Fox 5. After 4 years anchoring GDWU, she deserved to at least tell viewers she was leaving. I know this is common in TV, but it's still a slap in the face to viewers, plus Ben got a nice send off when he left after 3 years.

Ben and Juliet made an amazing team (one of the best AM teams this market has ever seen, in my opinion). Now the big question is what does Fox 5 do with the show? It's hard to weather the loss of both anchors, especially on such a personality-driven newscast. They didn't seem to be in a big rush to fill Ben's seat, so let's see whether or not they have a plan for GDWU.

I would like to see the GDWU become more traditional newscast and less "opinion based"(which should also be done with the 7&8am hours of GDNY) As for anchors if this is true I don't really care for any of the options with in however I'd much rather see Kerry Drew then Taresa Priolo.. I'd also like to see Joe Toohey get a shot at anchoring.. Otherwise their best choice would be to look outside for a new team.

Also, found this article from a few years back.. Wonder if more changes could be on the way (maybe at night?)

http://www.adweek.com/fishbowlny/former-staffer-alleges-a-string-of-poor-decisions-made-by-fox-5-management/77321

I would like to see the GDWU become more traditional newscast and less "opinion based"

I respectfully disagree. I know that the opinion-based Fox 5 News is not for everyone, but I find it to be a nice alternative in the morning. If you want a straight newscast, you can get that on WCBS, WNBC, or WABC. In this case, I think Fox 5's format is a good way to differentiate itself from the competition.

I do agree with you, however, that they are better off going outside to find a new early morning team (that is, assuming Juliet Huddy is actually gone). I honestly do not believe that any of the reporters who've been filling in are the permanent solution.

Wow, if Juliet is really gone, that is pretty remarkable. It's no secret that her and brother John (now a foreign correspondent at FNC) received preferential treatment by their godfather Roger Ailes, but Juliet was quite enjoyable on GDWU. This is a pretty decisive move by management. It makes you wonder what could happen to Dari Alexander (another one who was protected by Ailes) in the coming months.

I respectfully disagree. I know that the opinion-based Fox 5 News is not for everyone, but I find it to be a nice alternative in the morning. If you want a straight newscast, you can get that on WCBS, WNBC, or WABC. In this case, I think Fox 5's format is a good way to differentiate itself from the competition.

I do agree with you, however, that they are better off going outside to find a new early morning team (that is, assuming Juliet Huddy is actually gone). I honestly do not believe that any of the reporters who've been filling in are the permanent solution.

I see your point and we all have our preferences! However I would like them to focus on more hard news in general.. But anyway I guess I'll be the one to start this lol my ideal teams for FOX 5 would be this (assuming Huddy is out):

GDWU 4:30-7 A new team.. Maybe Heather Childers from FNC?

GDNY: Keep as is..

5pm Ernie Anastos and Christina Park

6pm Steve Lacy and Kerry Drew

10pm Steve Lacy and Christina Park

Weekends: Antwan Lewis and Sharon Crowley

Also, add a weekend morning newscast and NEW SET!!

Wow, if Juliet is really gone, that is pretty remarkable. It's no secret that her and brother John (now a foreign correspondent at FNC) received preferential treatment by their godfather Roger Ailes, but Juliet was quite enjoyable on GDWU. This is a pretty decisive move by management. It makes you wonder what could happen to Dari Alexander (another one who was protected by Ailes) in the coming months.

Dari could be next. If you remember, I believe there was a piece in the Daily News years back about how WNYW became a sort-of recycling bin for FNC and she was one of those mentioned. And it makes sense since she's terrible. But I did like Juliet and she was good (I wouldn't go as far as bc485 as label her as part of the greatest team ever, however).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Me too - heading to Mexico woohoo! <a href="https://t.co/cJbDh0yrYT">https://t.co/cJbDh0yrYT</a></p>— Juliet Huddy (@JulietHuddyTV) <a href="[MEDIA=twitter]770192017011924992[/MEDIA]">August 29, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just want to throw this one out there that may explain her being out on Friday. I mean it is totally possible she's gone, timing is everything. But, I do have to say, I thought that each individual station had their hires. It is possible she is only now contracted by the local Fox 5 and not Fox News... Shockingly, considering how I originally felt about her, I would be very sad to see her go. I do think Teresa Priolo is the answer to fill one of the spots. She and Antwan were great together. I always love Teresa no matter who she is next to, much better to Kerry Drew who tries to have a personality, but fails at is miserably. (What I would LOVE to see would be a flashback to 2007 and see Christina Park on GDWU - she and Antwan can travel there together for that matter, thats if she wasn't given a night position if Dari is on her way out too)

This is what my realistic, what I could see happening if Juliet and Dari could be on their way out. I'm also keeping in mind how fill-in's currently work. I think they want Christina to take over for Ernie when he retires because she seems to be Ernie's #1 fill in. It's funny, she is also in for Steve more than anyone else. But, it seems like Alison and Jenn are frequently in for Dari.

GDWU: Teresa Priolo & Antwan Lewis

GDNY: Same

5PM: Steve Lacy & Jennifer Lahmers

6PM: Christina Park

10PM: Steve Lacy & Christina Park

In my opinion Taresa Priolo is trying to be the next Rosanna Scotto and it's not working.. Just do your own thing and you'll come off as more genuine.. I'm actually surprised that Huddy is gone/ was let go.. There was always something weird though.. She NEVER filled in on GDNY.. No matter who was out.. I would still like to know the story behind that.

• Like 1

I have a question. Why do everyone seem to hate Dari Alexander? Yes she's not spectacular at her job but isn't that bad.

Knowing that she had connections to the top didn't help the impression that she might not have been best-qualified. And, if nothing else, it's hard to believe she is the best that the network could come up with to be their #1 co-anchor in market #1, though that could be said for a few of the competitors, too.

• Like 1