WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

Ben posted on his Facebook fan page that the decision to leave was his own. Fox 5 has posted video of his Good Day Wake Up farewell: http://www.fox5ny.com/good-day/146354469-video

Ben's departure is a huge loss to Fox 5. He was a great anchor and reporter, and his chemistry with Juliet Huddy was very strong and unique. He also did a great job filling in for Greg Kelly on GDNY.

They are huge shoes to fill, but who do we think will replace Ben? To me, the internal candidates are Robert Moses, Kerry Drew, Teresa Priolo, and Antwan Lewis, but I don't think any of them are the long-term solution and that they will have to hire from outside (either from another NYC station or from another market). Keep in mind, too, that the GDWU anchor will most likely also be the primary fill-in anchor for Greg Kelly on GDNY, so this person needs to be able to work with Rosanna Scotto and to conduct interviews and handle other unscripted segments.

Juliet Huddy also brings a strong personality to the table, so whoever Ben's replacement is will need to be able to keep up with her somewhat unpredictable and unscripted personality.

UPDATE: TVSpy is now reporting on Ben's departure, although the story contains no new information: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/a-good-day-anchor-signed-off-wnyw-on-friday/171364

Juliet Huddy tweeted on Friday that Robert Moses, Teresa Priolo, Kerry Drew, and "possibly others for now" will be co-anchoring Good Day Early Call and Wake Up with her in the interim. For the first two days of this week, Robert Moses has anchored.

Before Ben was hired, Antwan Lewis was the primary fill-in anchor between Steve Lacy's departure for evenings in January 2013 and Ben's start in June 2013, at which time Antwan was named weekend evening anchor. I think it is possible that Antwan will fill in again at some point...

[MEDIA=twitter]736152025562533888[/MEDIA]

Anyone else notice Huddy never co hosts with Greg when Rosanna off..whereas Ben would sub for Greg with Ro..

Tension perhaps?

I've noticed this, too, and always wondered why Priolo and Drew are the fill ins and not Huddy. Not for anything, but you'd think they would want someone with extensive national experience and a personality filling in on the main show. Maybe it is a personality thing, but it also could be a contractual issue

• Like 1

Why does Dari always make such loud & long exhales while reading the teleprompter?

Why does Ernie always interrupt guests in the middle of talking during interviews with "mhm" "yeah" "oh"

Why does Steve Lacy always end random sentences by shouting out the remaining words loudly and quickly, sometimes to the point where you can't even understand what he's saying?

Why does Mike Woods have such a habit of saying "anyways" at the beginning of sentences?

Why does Greg Kelly always look like he's chewing something whenever he isn't speaking? (Although it may be a result of his shrapnel injury so it may be excusable)

Why does Kerry Drew let the makeup department paint her cheeks pink every morning?

Most importantly, why do they still have Curtis Sliwa on the show every morning? What purpose does he serve besides doing his obnoxiously fake & forced voice to share his meaningless opinions?

At 5:30 on this coming friday there will be no news.. Instead the "D&A" show.. Or something like that.. And will be a talk show for mothers hosted by Dari Alexander and Audrey Puente..

here's the stupid tape

At 5:30 on this coming friday there will be no news.. Instead the "D&A" show.. Or something like that.. And will be a talk show for mothers hosted by Dari Alexander and Audrey Puente..

I don't understand why they would preempt half of the 5:00 p.m. newscast for this show. I'm not going to comment on the content of the program itself, but why not try a show like this on a weekend morning or even preempt half of the 9:00 GDNY hour on a summer Friday to air this?

I guess we shouldn't be surprised; after all, this is a station that has regularly preempted the second half of the 10:00 p.m. newscast for "After Empire," and "Friday Night Live." I'm all for trying new things and experimenting, but the decision to preempt the news for this lifestyle/entertainment programming seems to send the message that Fox 5 isn't really serious about the news.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they would preempt half of the 5:00 p.m. newscast for this show. I'm not going to comment on the content of the program itself, but why not try a show like this on a weekend morning or even preempt half of the 9:00 GDNY hour on a summer Friday to air this?

I guess we shouldn't be surprised; after all, this is a station that has regularly preempted the second half of the 10:00 p.m. newscast for "After Empire," and "Friday Night Live." I'm all for trying new things and experimenting, but the decision to preempt the news for this lifestyle/entertainment programming seems to send the message that Fox 5 isn't really serious about the news.

they should change their slogan from most powerful name in local news it should be fox 5 the most fluffiest name in local news

• Like 1

FOX is serious about keeping cost down for programming on the local level.

Look,

They got those 2, and the crew already on the clock...and you get hundreds of emails from people pitching ideas, cooking, fashion and mommy stuff segments.

This shit is cheap to produce AND some crack smoking sales weasels have learned that you can SELL entire segments to plastic surgeons and yoga yogi's.

Stations are finding that 9-11a time slot is becoming more profitable....and with reduced labor cost...it's cheaper to produce in-house again.

Just like the early days of TV...

In house production.

• Like 4

I thought the same exact thing.. Preempt the 9:00 hour or atleast 1/2 of it and there. To preempt evening news is obsurd. And I don't care what anyone says there's no way in hell that Ernies show is doing well. NJTV news is probably beating it. FOX5 used to be good, they say people don't want to hear about shootings and terrorism, then why are they watching the news? I don't care about the next big rapper or if moms are giving little Joey chunky peanut butter instead of creamy. I want to know what's happening around me. *Rant OVER*