WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

20 hours ago, bc485 said:

Fox 5 has gone outside and hired Natasha Verma as its new 5, 6, and 10pm anchor, replacing Lori Stokes. This article indicates

that Verma will anchor with Steve Lacy, so maybe they are dropping the solo-anchored 6pm format. 

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/article/natasha-verma-joins-wnyw-new-york-as-evening-anchor/

It should also be mentioned that this is a return to NYC for Verma, who started at News 12 Bronx / Brooklyn.

35 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Or maybe the midday guy will do the 6pm.

Or maybe they do the right thing and give it to Teresa. I can't imagine Steve doing it, given that he hasn't even done it when Lori was gone, and it should have been obvious to have their main anchor do the solo spot.

30 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

He and Dari together were abysmal.

How has Steve lasted this long? Again, Lacey's issue is that his delivery really has no cadence. He reads as if he were rushing through paragraphs and rarely emotes feeling or personality. Dari lasted really long!

At least importing external talent is a start, but Fox 5 News isn't in the best state right now. 

Edited by iron_lion

On 10/31/2022 at 6:40 PM, TheNewsTV said:

Chris Welch in "The 6 O'Clock News". I don't know if it's going to be permanent, I'd prefer Teresa.

21 hours ago, nynewslover said:

I didn’t get to watch the 6:00.. was it the same format with interviews or was it a straight newscast? 

So, Teresa was back tonight. Maybe she just took yesterday off to trick or treat with her kids.

And the format was the same yesterday with an interview. Did not watch the whole (yet) thing tonight.

I find it amazing that Steve Lacy doesn't do the 6pm. Is he a terrible interviewer, or does he just have an excellent contract? Or is it both?

22 hours ago, iron_lion said:

How has Steve lasted this long? Again, Lacey's issue is that his delivery really has no cadence. He reads as if he were rushing through paragraphs and rarely emotes feeling or personality. Dari lasted really long!

At least importing external talent is a start, but Fox 5 News isn't in the best state right now. 

My theory has always been that Fox 5 evenings competes well enough with PIX11 that there isn’t an emphasis on investing there. Everything about the 5,6 and 10pm lacks inspiration. Aren’t they one of the few Fox owned stations that have never invested in an 11pm addition to the 10pm? It’s probably not entirely fair but they simply do not seem to take their evening side serious.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

My theory has always been that Fox 5 evenings competes well enough with PIX11 that there isn’t an emphasis on investing there. Everything about the 5,6 and 10pm is in inspirational. Aren’t they one of the few Fox owned stations that have never invested in an 11pm addition to the 10pm? It’s probably not entirely fair but they simply do not seem to take their evening side serious.

Exactly. Good Day is where they know they have people and that’s where they focus. They got lucky with Lori but now they’re back to where they were. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nynewslover said:

Exactly. Good Day is where they know they have people and that’s where they focus. They got lucky with Lori but now they’re back to where they were. 

And really I bet that was more Lori’s request. Wasn’t she aiming for an evening spot at channel 7?

On 11/2/2022 at 7:35 AM, MorningNews said:

And really I bet that was more Lori’s request. Wasn’t she aiming for an evening spot at channel 7?

Was there an opening for her though? Stokes left before Diana Williams retired, which would've been the only evening vacancy. 

Edited by 24994J

On 11/1/2022 at 7:09 PM, MisterBill said:

So, Teresa was back tonight. Maybe she just took yesterday off to trick or treat with her kids.

Per Teresa's post on IG, she'll be back at 6pm again on Monday (she was on all week this week except for Halloween). It appears that it's her spot, at least until it isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

What

10 hours ago, nynewslover said:

As of this morning anchors are no longer social distancing and back to pre pandemic seating. That makes WABC the only station that has anchors still sitting further apart.. which if postings from the morning team are an indication that will be ending soon. 

I was wondering when they would go back to normal. I thought the current anchor spacing on WABC, which is closer than it was during the pandemic, was done to leave room to display graphics on the video wall behind them?

Edited by IceManNYR

3 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

What

I was wondering when they would go back to normal. I thought the current anchor spacing on WABC, which is closer than it was during the pandemic, was done to leave room to display graphics on the video wall behind them?

I figured they were making use of the big screen since they were still distancing a bit. The recorded new promos according to Shirleen Allicots Instagram and it shows all 4 at the desk with the regular back drop and “prepandemic” seating. Guess time will tell 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...