WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

38 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Wow, what a loss for NY news. It’s a shame she left WABC because of…well, let’s just call it poor management, and she made a great anchor on Fox 5.

Agreed on all points. Christina would’ve been perfect for the job, but Teresa would be good as well.

Yes, would love to see Christina come back, but she seems to have disappeared. If Teresa gets it, it would be a great rebound from when she was foolishly dumped from the early morning news.

Wow good luck to Lori; what a huge loss for NY News. Teresa is the natural choice since she's been filling in a lot more frequently lately. She's definitely main-anchor material despite (as someone pointed out) being demoted unreasonably. They could of course try to look externally too; i'm sure there will be an announcement soon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kshow said:

I wonder what happened to her to leave WNYW and RETIRE (major), she hasn't been at the station too long and she's not old at all (59 years old). 

Her other experience plus sometime at MSNBC (first black on air on the first day), don’t know she she’d leave the job though.

5 hours ago, kshow said:

I wonder what happened to her to leave WNYW and RETIRE (major), she hasn't been at the station too long and she's not old at all (59 years old). 

Her contract was up in two weeks; they just spent money on more ad campaigns featuring her… have to imagine renewal talks were ongoing and not going in a direction she thought was worth it to stay at FOX5 and, after 40 years, probably thought this was a good time to step back and just enjoy life instead of starting over again somewhere else. 

As you pointed out, she’s retiring from the business at a relatively young age — and good for her! She’ll be able to spend time with family and friends, doing fun things on her schedule, while she has the energy and ability to do so. 

A true legend in local New York City news, Lori will definitely be missed by many viewers. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, kshow said:

No reason to work into your 60s/70s if you don't have to. She has accomplished a lot in her career so, in her eyes, there's nothing else left to achieve. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Wow good luck to Lori; what a huge loss for NY News. Teresa is the natural choice since she's been filling in a lot more frequently lately. She's definitely main-anchor material despite (as someone pointed out) being demoted unreasonably. They could of course try to look externally too; i'm sure there will be an announcement soon

If what they did for the early morning news is any indication, they'll probably let it drag on for weeks or months, with Teresa and maybe others filling in without making it official. Then they'll either find someone more "diverse" or give in and give it to her.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:31 AM, fox5fan said:

Lori Stokes will be leaving Fox 5 and the news industry according to her post as of September 30.

Let the speculation begin, who takes over? Teresa Priolo or an outsider?

E1E15E3B-5A33-4494-B5D9-24DE09F408FA.jpeg

Well dayum! That was unexpected! To think at one point Fox 5 had Lori Stokes, Greg Kelly (pre Lori), Sukanya Krishnan and Rosanna Scotto on the morning block alone. 

The well is really running dry these days at Fox 5.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Lori's last and final week on air. Still quite stunning that she is effectively done with Broadcast Journalism. It will be nice to see what kind of tribute will be given to her. I personally will miss her dearly, she really is a class act, honestly I always felt that WABC was the place for Lori she just was a better fit for that station but nonetheless at least she spread her wings a bit and tried something new at WNYW with Good Day New York and Rosanna and of course her ultimate wish, anchoring the primetime 6pm newscast which she achieved. I'm truly happy for Lori she deserves a beautiful retirement especially after all of the hardwork and dedication she has put for all the years she's been on TV. What a career! Good for her she will be missed dearly!  

• Like 9

On 9/26/2022 at 2:16 PM, Vlad said:

This is Lori's last and final week on air. Still quite stunning that she is effectively done with Broadcast Journalism. It will be nice to see what kind of tribute will be given to her. I personally will miss her dearly, she really is a class act, honestly I always felt that WABC was the place for Lori she just was a better fit for that station but nonetheless at least she spread her wings a bit and tried something new at WNYW with Good Day New York and Rosanna and of course her ultimate wish, anchoring the primetime 6pm newscast which she achieved. I'm truly happy for Lori she deserves a beautiful retirement especially after all of the hardwork and dedication she has put for all the years she's been on TV. What a career! Good for her she will be missed dearly!  

WABC she’s still be there if it weren’t for bad competence of Camille Edwards and upper management.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gavin M. said:

WABC she’s still be there if it weren’t for bad competence of Camille Edwards and upper management.

FWIW, Bill Ritter corrected someone on FB who claimed that WABC dumped her and said that it was her decision. 

Meanwhile, no announcement of a replacement. 

5 hours ago, iron_lion said:

exactly what went down, contract renewal issues?

I guess you could say that. Supposedly (if former sports anchor Laura Behnke’s lawsuit is reliable), Lori Stokes was allegedly asked to…let’s just say, give certain favors to Dave Davis (the GM at the time) in exchange for a better contract. If those allegations are true, that probably contributed to Lori wanting to get the heck out of there.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I guess you could say that. Supposedly (if former sports anchor Laura Behnke’s lawsuit is reliable), Lori Stokes was allegedly asked to…let’s just say, give certain favors to Dave Davis (the GM at the time) in exchange for a better contract. If those allegations are true, that probably contributed to Lori wanting to get the heck out of there.

I read the part about "certain favors" on FTV life and I questioned it's reputablilty. Its amazing though that these circumstances haven't been blown up in the media like national level scandals such as Matt Lauer or Roger Ailes. (If this is true)

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm thinking that Teresa is going to be screwed again and not get the 5/6/10 slot on a permanent basis, since she's doing it but has not been announced. They'll probably find someone from elsewhere to make the newscast more diverse. She had posted after the first week that she was "helping out".

Teresa has earned it but she has been passed over several times for less significant jobs.

I know she's only been there a few months, but I would move Tashanea Whitlow to anchor evenings. She has been very strong so far. Steve is still a weak link in the evenings and is better suited for mornings in my opinion, but I doubt he will be gone anytime soon. 

Fox 5 has gone outside and hired Natasha Verma as its new 5, 6, and 10pm anchor, replacing Lori Stokes. This article indicates

that Verma will anchor with Steve Lacy, so maybe they are dropping the solo-anchored 6pm format. 

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/article/natasha-verma-joins-wnyw-new-york-as-evening-anchor/

• Confused 1

On 10/15/2022 at 10:51 PM, anchorman said:

Teresa has earned it but she has been passed over several times for less significant jobs.

Remember, she was the morning anchor for a while before being dumped. Really too bad.

43 minutes ago, bc485 said:

Fox 5 has gone outside and hired Natasha Verma as its new 5, 6, and 10pm anchor, replacing Lori Stokes. This article indicates

that Verma will anchor with Steve Lacy, so maybe they are dropping the solo-anchored 6pm format. 

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/article/natasha-verma-joins-wnyw-new-york-as-evening-anchor/

Surprised at the lack of diversity. Don't really see what she brings that Teresa didn't have.

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 1