WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

23 hours ago, NYNews said:

Steve Lacy and Lori Stokes have no chemistry as an anchor team. It's hard to watch.  In fact, none of WNYW's anchors/anchor teams work. From anchors to reporters, they all seem inexperienced. They need to work on their delivery. 

I don’t know if it’s fair to make that assessment of all of the teams. I agree about Steve. I think being paired with Lori and falling flat shows that he only attributed to Dari’s issues. 

I personally enjoy Rosanna and Bianca. 
Dan and Tashanea have only been together for a couple of weeks.

Weather and Traffic wise on Good Day with Mike and Ines - they have been with the team for at least 15 years each. Nick has been on for years. Audrey as well. I think it’s a strong team.

Reporter wise, they are younger - but even some young talent like Teresa Priolo, Robert Moses have over 10 years with the station.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2022 at 8:09 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

Fox 5 may not stand out these days, but I think they benefit from WPIX going through several anchor/personnel changes every few years (especially in the morning). PIX’s newscasts have always been inferior to their Tribune/Nexstar counterparts in Chicago and LA, but they at least used to have some character. They now have newscasts that are even more bland and uninspiring than Fox 5. IMHO, they never fully recovered after dumping Jim and Kaity from evenings, and that’s worked to Fox 5’s benefit.

I know this isn't the PIX thread but you are absolutely right. PIX has yet to recover from dropping Watkins and Tong on the weekdays.

I think Fox 5 hasn't recovered the 10 PM slot in quality since Rosanna Scotto and moreso John Roland left the evenings. 

On 7/5/2022 at 10:09 PM, fox5fan said:

I don’t know if it’s fair to make that assessment of all of the teams. I agree about Steve. I think being paired with Lori and falling flat shows that he only attributed to Dari’s issues. 

Weather and Traffic wise on Good Day with Mike and Ines - they have been with the team for at least 15 years each. Nick has been on for years. Audrey as well. I think it’s a strong team.

Reporter wise, they are younger - but even some young talent like Teresa Priolo, Robert Moses have over 10 years with the station.

Nick, Mike, Inez and Rosanna are fine, but a major problem that the 4:30-7 slot has is it's high anchor turnover. It seems like there's a new team every 3 to 4 years. 

What the 7-10 slot needs is a strong Mike Jerrick, Greg Kelly, Karl Stefanovic type personality to sit next to Rosanna. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:14 PM, MisterBill said:

Kayla Mamalak posted on social media that she is leaving WNYW (and TV news in general) to become deputy press secretary for Mayor Adams.

She'll be back (on TV somewhere) they don't last long in those city hall positions.

On 7/5/2022 at 10:09 PM, fox5fan said:

Dari was just... not that good. She wasn't good at FNC either.

• Like 1

Was Dari's removal ever officially explained? On that note, was Earnie ready to go or was he pushed pushed out? 

Lori is is solid news woman but IMO Eyewitness News was a better fit for her. It's like Roz. Abrams at CBS 2 verses ABC 7. Same person, same ability,  just different stations.

Her and Sukanya's departures from their respective stations were really a seismic shift in the mornings.

Edited by iron_lion

34 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Was Dari's removal ever officially explained? On that note, was Earnie ready to go or was he pushed pushed out? 

Lori is is solid news woman but IMO Eyewitness News was a better fit for her. It's like Roz. Abrams at CBS 2 verses ABC 7. Same person, same ability,  just different stations.

Her and Sukanya's departures from the respective stations were really a seismic shift in the mornings.

Eyewitness News was a better fit for Lori, but IIRC WABC was dealing with a…situation with both a horrible GM and a horrible ND. 

As for Ernie, he was in his mid 70s when he left in 2019. He’d already stopped anchoring the more traditional 5/10p newscasts at that point, and he probably just wanted to retire after a long career.

Speaking of which, today is Ernie’s 78th birthday. Happy Birthday Ernie, and keep *plucking* along.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Her and Sukanya's departures from the respective stations were really a seismic shift in the mornings.

Per Fox 5, Ernie was off to Harvard Business School to get his MBA, similar to reporter Baruch Shemtov. Sukanya was pushed out by the former PIX management over allegedly not welcoming replacement Betty Nguyen on social media. To my recollection, no one at 'NYW made mention of Dari's exit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chrlamagne that God and Rosanna were good this morning for the discussion segments.

I like that the other anchors gave dry opinions without getting into full blown opinionated debate.

Has anyone noticed how stretched out and pixelated the Central Park skyline background behind the ice cream sandwich couches are?

On 6/30/2022 at 12:14 PM, MisterBill said:

Kayla Mamalak posted on social media that she is leaving WNYW (and TV news in general) to become deputy press secretary for Mayor Adams.

On 7/8/2022 at 7:30 PM, Starkist said:

She'll be back (on TV somewhere) they don't last long in those city hall positions.

So, it turns out that she's pregnant. Not sure if it's the main reason for her switching jobs (I'm sure that better hours probably factored in), but I know from having chatted online with another rFox5 reporter who had a child not long ago that they (or maybe their union contract) does not have a generous maternity leave (apparently Fox News is much better). I'm sure that NYC has a much better policy.

Edited by MisterBill

6 hours ago, MorningNews said:

What the hell is the 9am hour of Good Day New York? Rosanna Scotto just doing a long and passionate argument about how harmful proposed outdoor dining lawsuits will be to her restaurant. 

Well no need to lose your lunch over it, pal :)

On 8/2/2022 at 2:02 PM, MorningNews said:

What the hell is the 9am hour of Good Day New York? Rosanna Scotto just doing a long and passionate argument about how harmful proposed outdoor dining lawsuits will be to her restaurant. 

Lollllllllll!

Why isnt Bianca included in the 9am hour? Unless Fox 5 wants to keep the rotating guest host format?

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dana Arschin has left the station and TV news.  She had been saying on IG that she would be back from maternity leave this week, but a post today said that she will miss her Fox5 family, and it turns out that she has joined the Holocaust Memorial. & Tolerance Center of Nassau County. This is a great job for her as it's been her passion for a while and close to home, but yet another good reporter that they have lost.

Details on her Weebly page, she hasn't updated Linkedin yet - Dana Arschin - ABOUT DANA (weebly.com)

Edited by MisterBill

On 8/2/2022 at 5:45 PM, nynewslover said:

Taresa Priolo has been in for Steve Lacy the last few days.. watching her and Lori is so much more enjoyable.. there is so much better flow and chemistry.

Teresa has been in for Lori the last couple of days with Steve and 5 and 10pm. Teresa has also been doing the 6pm rather than Steve taking it.  Seems odd, given that he's a regular, and she's the sub (although not for that time slot). Either they don't think he's a good enough interviewer for the 6pm show, or they just feel like they need to have a female anchor then to attract viewers (or he's got a good contract). BTW, of Steve, Lori and Teresa, I choose Teresa every time so having her do 6pm is fine with me, but it just seems odd to me.

Edited by MisterBill

That’s a huge hit not only to FOX5 but to NY news as a whole. Best of luck to Lori in a well deserved retirement. As for her replacement I would assume it’s Teresa Priolo. Unless they bring in an outsider there really aren’t many options within the station that I can see filling the seat. Too bad things went down the wat they did with Christina Park she would’ve been a shoe in 

• Like 3

Wow, what a loss for NY news. It’s a shame she left WABC because of…well, let’s just call it poor management, and she made a great anchor on Fox 5.

3 hours ago, nynewslover said:

That’s a huge hit not only to FOX5 but to NY news as a whole. Best of luck to Lori in a well deserved retirement. As for her replacement I would assume it’s Teresa Priolo. Unless they bring in an outsider there really aren’t many options within the station that I can see filling the seat. Too bad things went down the wat they did with Christina Park she would’ve been a shoe in 

Agreed on all points. Christina would’ve been perfect for the job, but Teresa would be good as well.

28 minutes ago, kshow said:

I wonder what happened to her to leave WNYW and RETIRE (major), she hasn't been at the station too long and she's not old at all (59 years old). 

If I’m correct both her daughters are in Cleveland area and she spends a lot of time going there. Maybe to be closer to them.

• Like 2