WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NYTV said:

Acoording to TVSPY, Tashanea Whitlow (previously with Black News Channel) will be joining Good Day New York starting June 15th and will co-anchor with Dan Bowens from 4:30-7am and the main show with Rosanna Scotto

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/tashanea-whitlow-to-join-fox-ny-as-am-anchor/241807/

She’s reporting from 7-10… not anchoring 

17 hours ago, nynewslover said:

She’s reporting from 7-10… not anchoring 

I'm not sure if you have a different news source, but the linked article states she's co-anchoring the 430-7 slot, with even a statement from FOX5 VP & ND stating as such with her experience being an anchor. 

9 minutes ago, Paradox said:

I'm not sure if you have a different news source, but the linked article states she's co-anchoring the 430-7 slot, with even a statement from FOX5 VP & ND stating as such with her experience being an anchor. 

No one said that she's not anchoring at all. @nynewslover was only correcting the untrue statement before that, that said that she'd be anchoring the entire program.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2022 at 1:14 PM, NYTV said:

Acoording to TVSPY, Tashanea Whitlow (previously with Black News Channel) will be joining Good Day New York starting June 15th and will co-anchor with Dan Bowens from 4:30-7am and the main show with Rosanna Scotto

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/tashanea-whitlow-to-join-fox-ny-as-am-anchor/241807/

Indeed, she did start anchoring this morning.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:39 PM, Geoffrey said:

Does the QR code app ad really need to be a permanent fixture of the bug?

579774471_Screenshot(13177).thumb.png.93147c01f54df997186536b48fd9a760.png cod

Apparently, that's a thing across the O&Os now. I saw Q13 in Seattle do the same.

49 minutes ago, NYTV said:

Apparently, that's a thing across the O&Os now. I saw Q13 in Seattle do the same.

KTVU had a Ukraine Donation Ad in place of the News Ad but it’s been gone for a few weeks now. Yay for being Ad free. 😆

There’s also an option in the Fox lower thirds to put chips in that space. If you use them, they automatically animate away after four seconds. I don’t think I’ve seen any station use those chips at all.

KTVU started using the QR bugs a while ago. Maybe two years ago? They stayed on the screen for a few weeks before they went away.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Is this paint job for Sky Fox new? Assuming Fox 5 still shares a chopper with CBS 2, I wonder if we'll see Chopper 2 branding on the other side. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfFMiSyOT02/ 

I know here in LA, Sky 2 and Sky Fox recently got a new helicopter (2 months ago) - one side has the Sky 2 name and the other has Sky Fox. Would love to see if WCBS/WNYW did the same. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know where Arthur Chi’en has been? He hasn't been anchoring the weekend news for several weeks now. They have reporters taking his place.

On 6/24/2022 at 6:47 AM, iron_lion said:

I'm surprised Fox 5 sought outside talent to fill the Wake Up slot with outside talent. Reagan Medgie seemed like the perfect fit for an AM anchor position.

You seem to be a big fan of hers. Seems like she'd be looking for a weather job since she recently got her meteorology degree.

Edited by MisterBill

2 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

Does anyone know where Arthur Chi’en has been? He hasn't been anchoring the weekend news for several weeks now. They have reporters taking his place.

You seem to be a big fan of hers. Seems like she'd be looking for a weather job since she recently got her meteorology degree.

She gives a supunkier version of Jodi Applegate vibes.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:39 PM, Geoffrey said:

579774471_Screenshot(13177).thumb.png.93147c01f54df997186536b48fd9a760.png 

Steve Lacy and Lori Stokes have no chemistry as an anchor team. It's hard to watch.  In fact, none of WNYW's anchors/anchor teams work. From anchors to reporters, they all seem inexperienced. They need to work on their delivery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 10:49 PM, NYNews said:

Steve Lacy and Lori Stokes have no chemistry as an anchor team. It's hard to watch.  In fact, none of WNYW's anchors/anchor teams work. From anchors to reporters, they all seem inexperienced. They need to work on their delivery. 

Agreed. As I've said before Lacey delivers like the kid who got picked to read in class and didn't want to. He rushes through sentences with no emotion at all. I get that Fox 5 News tries to fit as much stories into the first 10 minutes of the 10:00 news in a fast paced format, but his cadence lacks.

Times have evolved but Reporters from the 60s-80s were really good at rythmic but straightforward delivery.

None of Fox 5's news teams-- or newscast for that matter-- really stand out. The one thing I'll give the station is that they are really good at covering urban, hip hop, and West Indian communities.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Agreed. As I've said before Lacey dilivers like the kid who got picked to read in class and didn't want to. He rushes through sentences with no emotion at all. I get that Fox 5 News tries to fit as much stories into the first 10 minutes of the 10:00 news in a fast paced format, but his cadence lacks.

Times have evolved but Reporters from the 60s-80s were really good at rythmic but straightforward delivery.

None of Fox 5's news teams-- or newscast for that matter-- really stand out. The one thing I'll give the station is that they are really good at covering urban, hip hop, and West Indian communities.

Fox 5 may not stand out these days, but I think they benefit from WPIX going through several anchor/personnel changes every few years (especially in the morning). PIX’s newscasts have always been inferior to their Tribune/Nexstar counterparts in Chicago and LA, but they at least used to have some character. They now have newscasts that are even more bland and uninspiring than Fox 5. IMHO, they never fully recovered after dumping Jim and Kaity from evenings, and that’s worked to Fox 5’s benefit.

• Like 1

The trouble with 11 is that all of their newscast have the same “light and fluffy, morning type newscast. In the evening, one anchor starts the and the other one finished it  - and the worst evening news commercial is when they say how much like each other - laity an Jim didn’t do that. Stop the damn smiling and report important news with serious and authoritarian way of speaking