WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

So we’re about a month and a half in with the Kerry Drew/Bianca Peters pairing. What’s your opinion of them? Personally I don’t like Bianca Peters. She flubs a lot of pronunciations especially of NY cities and landmarks (She couldn’t pronounce Ronkonkoma or De Blasio correctly) and I don’t like the chemistry between the two compared to Antwan/Teresa, Ben/Juliet, and Suki/Jenn. 

• Confused 1

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, TVNewsNYFan said:

So we’re about a month and a half in with the Kerry Drew/Bianca Peters pairing. What’s your opinion of them? Personally I don’t like Bianca Peters. She flubs a lot of pronunciations especially of NY cities and landmarks (She couldn’t pronounce Ronkonkoma or De Blasio correctly) and I don’t like the chemistry between the two compared to Antwan/Teresa, Ben/Juliet, and Suki/Jenn. 

30 days isn't enough to get a full evaluation of Kerry and Bianca. It's going to take time like all other pairings.  Me personally Good Day Wake up has been a disgrace ever since Antwan & Teresa (now both on field reporters) and Suki brought it back to life briefly with Jenn. I wonder how Jenn is doing in LA? 

However, all I'm saying is this. Give it time and if things don't change than I see another change.. But honestly, Raegan Medgie should of been the one in the chair with Kerry. To me they both work pretty well, and Raegan has been with WNYW for a while so I'm a bit confused is to why they went outside and clearly someone inside is a bit more qualified.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With COVID-19 dominating the news cycle.  WNYW Fox 5 NY appears to have made a change to its 10PM opening.  Instead of the standard "It's 10PM do you know where your children are?", NYC viewers will be seeing... "It's 10PM, stay home, stay safe, stay strong, we're all in this together."

Video:

• 2 weeks later...

Fox 5 has officially joined the “weather from home” bandwagon. Nick was home last night and Mike is home this morning.

I like what they have been doing with only having one anchor, I think it has been working out well.

I do have an observation.

Ernie hasn’t been on since the beginning of the pandemic. I can assume this is for personal protection due to age.

But I need to mention this because it seems like she never works. Where is Dari? She hasn’t been on at all either. Ro and Lori/Bianca and Kerry have been taking turns. It seems like she never works 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 6:07 AM, fox5fan said:

Fox 5 has officially joined the “weather from home” bandwagon. Nick was home last night and Mike is home this morning.

I like what they have been doing with only having one anchor, I think it has been working out well.

I do have an observation.

Ernie hasn’t been on since the beginning of the pandemic. I can assume this is for personal protection due to age.

But I need to mention this because it seems like she never works. Where is Dari? She hasn’t been on at all either. Ro and Lori/Bianca and Kerry have been taking turns. It seems like she never works 

Dari had coronavirus.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Ernie Anastos is leaving FOX5 to enroll in Harvard Business School programs. 

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/250133/back-to-school-for-ny-anchor-ernie-anastos/

Hopefully they’ll go back to regular newscasts at 6pm.. as they have the past few months... Probably Joe Tooey (sp?) who I believe has been doing the noon and the 6 the past months. 

10 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Ernie Anastos is leaving FOX5 to enroll in Harvard Business School programs. 

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/250133/back-to-school-for-ny-anchor-ernie-anastos/

This seems like total spin on Fox 5’s part. Ernie hadn’t been on air since before the pandemic, and it’s very likely that his contract was expiring and they elected not to renew it. He’s 76 and was likely paid a big salary to anchor the 6:00 newscast and contribute his “feel good” stories. 

After 15 years at Fox 5 and over 40 years in NYC, he got a pre-taped package and this odd story about how he’s leaving to take classes at Harvard Business School.  Ernie even mentions in his Instagram post today that he plans on developing new TV programming for NYC.  But it clearly won’t be for Fox 5. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBeOdlpMVBT/?igshid=1fh88vossygb6

Editing my post to speculate that perhaps a more substantial farewell had been planned but was ultimately unable to proceed because of the pandemic. 

Regardless, I would have expected a 40+ year career and 15 year tenure at the station would have received more recognition than what Fox 5 did. 

Edited by bc485

• 3 weeks later...

Joe Toohey has left Fox 5 and is joining WJW in Cleveland as 7:00 p.m. anchor: Welcome to the Fox 8 Family, Joe Toohey!

It seems that this is a personal move, as this press release notes that Toohey’s sister is a Cleveland radio personality.  His father in law, former ESPN anchor Jay Crawford, is an anchor at WKYC there as well. 

Toohey has been the anchor of Fox 5’s noon newscast, The Noon, since its launch in September 2019. He had also been the primary anchor of the 6:00 p.m. newscast since Ernie Anastos stopped anchoring in March. 

Edited by bc485

6 hours ago, bc485 said:

Joe Toohey has left Fox 5 and is joining WJW in Cleveland as 7:00 p.m. anchor: Welcome to the Fox 8 Family, Joe Toohey!

It seems that this is a personal move, as this press release notes that Toohey’s sister is a Cleveland radio personality.  His father in law, former ESPN anchor Jay Crawford, is an anchor at WKYC there as well. 

Toohey has been the anchor of Fox 5’s noon newscast, The Noon, since its launch in September 2019. He had also been the primary anchor of the 6:00 p.m. newscast since Ernie Anastos stopped anchoring in March. 

Welp. There goes my theory as Ernies replacement. It’ll be interesting to see once everything winds down a bit what they do with the 6.. wil they go to a more traditional format (hopefully) and who will anchor? 

4 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Earnie leaving was so quiet. Did WCBS or WABC give it a mention?

I don't think Ernie's departure was portrayed as a grand retirement and some rumors out there even characterize it as a "being pushed out" kind of a thing, so I don't think it made news at any stations. Also, he was moved around at WNYW kind of often and had several different co-anchors, so it just didn't feel as if there was a lot of love lost there to the average viewer (as opposed to other solidified anchor duos in the market).

• Thanks 1