WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

I think WNYW finally came to its senses and realized that if they were going to expand news, better to not expand at all than to expand to a time slot where two stations are already long established.

If anything, they should seriously give 6:30 or 7:00 a try. Yes, I know 6:30 might be tainted in the short term thanks to WPIX's failed attempts there, but they wouldn't have that stench following them. That NYC lacks a post-6:00 option is laughable given how they're being lapped by every other major market and assorted medium to smaller markets in the region.

Fun fact: If WNYW were to launch a 7:00 newscast, they would be only the fifth market in New York state to have launched one. That's pretty sad.

• Like 1

I think WNYW finally came to its senses and realized that if they were going to expand news, better to not expand at all than to expand to a time slot where two stations are already long established.

If anything, they should seriously give 6:30 or 7:00 a try. Yes, I know 6:30 might be tainted in the short term thanks to WPIX's failed attempts there, but they wouldn't have that stench following them. That NYC lacks a post-6:00 option is laughable given how they're being lapped by every other major market and assorted medium to smaller markets in the region.

Fun fact: If WNYW were to launch a 7:00 newscast, they would be only the fifth market in New York state to have launched one. That's pretty sad.

For goodness sakes, give Ernie Anastos his one-hour news!

I find it amazing that NYC had more news option in the early evening 30 years ago (when WNBC was still on at 6:30, WNYW at 7, and WPIX at 7:30) than they do today. Goes to show how lazy of a market NYC is.

Your right! It was three hours back then (WABC, WCBS and WNBC from 5-6pm, WNBC from 6-7pm, WCBS and WABC from 6-6:30pm?, WNYW from 7-7:30pm and WPIX from 7:30-8pm) while its just two and a half-hours now (4-6:30pm).

• Like 2

I find it amazing that NYC had more news option in the early evening 30 years ago (when WNBC was still on at 6:30, WNYW at 7, and WPIX at 7:30) than they do today. Goes to show how lazy of a market NYC is.

I think calling NYC a lazy market is unfair. Anybody who has worked in that market knows the lazy do not survive, whether as an individual or a station.

What IS true, is that the business and competition have changed. First, prime-access syndication brings in a lot of dollars. Even the non-King World shows bring in heavy revenue.

New York is a news hungry market. Counting Westchester, New Jersey and Long Island, there are six daily newspapers, two all news radio stations and two 24-hour cable news operations. Those cable news channels are enormously popular. Just because you don’t see them on the Nielsen breakdowns doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Just try to find a New Yorker who doesn’t watch them, even if only occasionally. Then add the classic English language broadcast stations and the two Hispanic stations, which all have respectable audiences. And then there are the websites and apps. News hungry New Yorkers are already finding their news in those places throughout the day. And don’t forget: most stations are starting morning news at 4:30AM. Some have expanded midday news to an hour and are starting evening shows at 4:00PM. You didn’t see that 20 or 30 years ago. By 7:00, viewers are ready to move on. And, if they do want more, NY1 and News12 are there. That’s not a lazy news market. Name one other market in the country that produces that much product each day.

But, perhaps more importantly, every station has down-sized significantly since the days of news after 6:00. Back then, stations had news staffs as much as 40% bigger than they are today. Many more people to produce less total product than you will find now. Today, stations barely have enough people to do what they’re doing. There are probably hundreds of posts in this website alone about being stretched so thin and doing more with less. Could stations hire more people to do more evening newscasts? Well, they could, but stations haven’t been in the staff-expansion mode anywhere, in years. And, as history has shown, prime-access newscasts against Wheel & Jeopardy tend not to be very successful or profitable. Those are just cold, hard business office realities. Stations aren’t printing profit dollars in the basement like they used to.

Comparing news programming in 2018 to news programming in 1988 and thinking all things are equal, is off base.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So NYC appears to be less adventuresome in terms of broadcast TV news because of the multitude of other ways to get news between cable, radio, in-town print, and even media in the farther-out suburbs makes the idea of a 3:00 PM or a 7:00 PM that flies elsewhere a lot harder of a sell there. When you put it that way, I would tend to agree to a point. This doesn't even get into media on the fringe - the further out News 12's, Hearst's papers in Fairfield County, Gannett's papers in Asbury Park and Poughkeepsie, even Spectrum News Hudson Valley.

The gold rush of sorts in DC seems to make a lot of sense because of the general dearth of suburban news sources; it's a bit crazy that Fairfax and Montgomery counties have over 1 million people and have zero newspapers of their own and I think that's much of why Nexstar is doing what they're doing with WDVM. I do wonder outside this why Fox is making it rain with news there - expanding the morning to 11:00 AM, putting on a 7:00 PM, the primetime newscasts on WDCA, Final Five with Jim Lokay - while not taking such risks in NYC. Might this be why?

Boston seems to have been partially broken by the NBC switch there and, let's be honest, if NBC had gotten their hands on WHDH there would be a lot less inventory to deal with. There wouldn't be four stations at 4:00 and 3 at 7:00, that's for sure. There isn't the depth of radio that NYC, on the commercial side at least, has but there is the depth of suburban papers as suburbs as close in as Quincy and Lynn support daily papers.

To bring this sub's favorite medium market into this, as much as I love Albany I think that it's a little over-newsed. Outside of the fact that WTEN and WNYT are seemingly are in a death match, is there really a reason for two stations at 4:00 in that market? Or for a 7:00 to even exist when it clearly seems that WTEN put one on WXXA to cut off WNYT from doing one on WNYA? How about that there are more stations doing 10:00 newscasts there than in most markets in the Top 10? If any market is the poster child for news for the sake of news, it's Albany.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why the first half hour of last nights news at 10 wasn’t on? I watched until about 10:20 and they were playing the special - The Big Ideas from last year, 2017.

I flipped back to 5 at 10:45 and Steve and Dari were on.

Why the delay?

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Katie Couric is on Good Day this morning.

[MEDIA=twitter]1054328002660745216[/MEDIA]

Only at WNYW can national journalists co-host a local morning show.

Still, it’s great to see her on morning TV again.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 3

Has anyone else noticed that Liz Dahlem has been off for a while?

She's been on mornings for about 3 years now. Briefly over the summer she moved to evenings. Went back to mornings, now she hasn't been on the air since August. I hope she's OK. Anyone know what's going on?

• Like 4

Has anyone else noticed that Liz Dahlem has been off for a while?

She's been on mornings for about 3 years now. Briefly over the summer she moved to evenings. Went back to mornings, now she hasn't been on the air since August. I hope she's OK. Anyone know what's going on?

no activity on Social media since august also, most importiantly her bio is still on the website

Edited by brianpr3

• 3 months later...

Well I don’t blame them on why there bringing in pieces one by one there on E 67 th St which is really tight so there probably isn’t a separate entrance although WFLD is right on Michigan Av and it’s reallly busy and they got it done quickly so idk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where Fox5 morning show reporter Liz Dahlem disappeared to ? Here one day, gone the next and no sign of where she went.Always liked her work, although her replacement is the fantastic Kayla Mamaleck. Will be so sorry to see her go as well. 

• 1 month later...

Liking that Fox 5 News is attempting to stray away from sloey fires, shootings etc..the typical local news coverage but the station still isn't the "go to" outside of GDNY in comparison to Chs. 2, 4. & 7.  

I would like to magically see Earnie Anastos & Kaity Tong perhaps reunited at 6:00 or 5:00