WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

What studio at FNC were they using?

The building has three empty studios - Studio A which, until 2017, was home to The O'Reilly Factor and is used for Watters' World once a week; Studio J where Huckabee, Mike & Juliet, The Five, Outnumbered and studio audience shows were based out of, and Studio E where Happening Now, Cavuto, & Fox and Friends were based out of...

They were in Studio J

• Like 1

Considering the reports of all the other problems during construction in the newsroom, and the strong letter sent yesterday by the union to station management about the conditions, I'm skeptical about the internet outage. If there was this issue, why was there weather and weather graphics during the 10 pm show? Something just doesn't make sense when you put the newsroom issues in the equation,. Fox5 newscasts are dated and tired, often PR sessions for Fox shows and unwatchable. I turned in for a few minutes last night out of curiosity and the product was significantly better than the regular product.

If there was this issue, why was there weather and weather graphics during the 10 pm show?

I need to check but I think FTVLivea tweet earlier in the thread said it came from the Fox News building. I’m not sure but I assume the weather graphics could be loaded easily or already available for Fox News reporters who file reports for stations.

Sometimes weather computers handle chroma keying internally and have the ability to choose router sources. The weather computer if it was set up to handle keying internally could easily select the correct camera and output the right program. Assuming the cameras and the distribution system were still up they could easily send it back to Fox HQ.

• Like 4

Considering the reports of all the other problems during construction in the newsroom, and the strong letter sent yesterday by the union to station management about the conditions, I'm skeptical about the internet outage. If there was this issue, why was there weather and weather graphics during the 10 pm show? Something just doesn't make sense when you put the newsroom issues in the equation,. Fox5 newscasts are dated and tired, often PR sessions for Fox shows and unwatchable. I turned in for a few minutes last night out of curiosity and the product was significantly better than the regular product.

Weather was also at FNC building.. along with FNC weather graphics.. Traffic this morning just used cameras no maps.

• Like 2

What’s bizarre to me is that either one of Steve or Dari couldn’t head over to FNC and anchor from Shep’s studio? I found that bizarre.

They both seem to have very "cushy" contracts.. when it's football or the world series and the game runs late there is no newscast.. and by late I mean 11pm not 2am

I think this incident is a wake up call for the ND new set is due urgently and upgrade in the infrastructure!!! So that the internet doesn’t go out again!

Pretty sure the last thing they're worried about right now is the news set.

This literally has nothing to do with the set. No matter what set was there, this would have happened.

• Like 2

Im still in disbelief on how the whole thing was handled. No mention last night by the station on social media.. and they were updating their pages.. Shep Smith anchoring the 10.. Where were Steve and Dari? I would like to know what time the systems went down. I honestly feel like the building was evacuated and inspected and that's why they were off. For the record last night Shepard Smith said the whole motherboard went down (which makes sense.) It was definitely interesting!

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be surprised if the fiasco was a combination of the theories suggested in this thread. I tend to believe it was a massive internet failure. But I might also theorize that workers dealing with construction and abatement might have accidentally severed data lines running through the building. Few other things could explain an internet failure localized to one building.

This should serve as a warning (but won’t) that absolute dependence on the web to facilitate day to day operations, without an alternative, is a recipe for disaster. I remember, when internet access became a normal part of station operations, that certain parts of the facility were kept as closed systems, without web connections. Editing, master control, traffic, etc. were not allowed direct web access. Servers were isolated. This wasn’t so much to protect against internet failure, as it was to prevent the introduction of viruses and malware. News, by necessity, had internet access. But I remember more than once when a virus shut down the primary system, forcing a painful switch to an ill-maintained back-up server.

I appreciate the many advantages and progress of cloud system operations, and using the internet, instead of costly and sometimes obtuse closed or direct access systems. But the dependence on the web comes with a serious risk that station management minimizes. If the power goes out, most stations have generators. If a water mains break, bottled water can be brought in. But absolute reliance on the internet, with no back-up or alternative to serve your number one responsibility of putting product on the air, is a guarantee that exactly what happened, will happen.

• Like 2

I can't believe nobody here recorded the 10pm news anchored by Shep. o_O Who dropped the ball guys?

EDIT: I guess my other question is, did they gut the WWOR Secaucus facility or something? It seems illogical to broadcast from FNC headquarters when you have backup facilities in New Jersey.

• Like 2

EDIT: I guess my other question is, did they gut the WWOR Secaucus facility or something? It seems illogical to broadcast from FNC headquarters when you have backup facilities in New Jersey.

The My9 public affairs show New Jersey Now looks like it's shot in a hallway of the WOR studio building.

• Like 3

The My9 public affairs show New Jersey Now looks like it's shot in a hallway of the WOR studio building.

Which brings me back to the previous question, what happened to that really nice set and studio WWOR had when they had news? Did they just completely gut the place? There's gotta be a reason why FOX chose to move WNYW to FNC instead of WWOR. I mean, FNC should have been an extreme last resort.

Which brings me back to the previous question, what happened to that really nice set and studio WWOR had when they had news? Did they just completely gut the place? There's gotta be a reason why FOX chose to move WNYW to FNC instead of WWOR. I mean, FNC should have been an extreme last resort.

My9 was in Seacaucus NJ.. Fox News is in Manhattan like WNYW.. that would be easier to get to.. the real question is why did they have Shep Smith anchor as opposed to Dari and Steve

• Like 5

My9 was in Seacaucus NJ.. Fox News is in Manhattan like WNYW.. that would be easier to get to.. the real question is why did they have Shep Smith anchor as opposed to Dari and Steve

I'm aware it was in New Jersey, I'm just saying Fox Television Stations has backup facilities. It makes more sense to go to the backup local TV facility than to try to go to the cable network facility.

I'm aware it was in New Jersey, I'm just saying Fox Television Stations has backup facilities. It makes more sense to go to the backup local TV facility than to try to go to the cable network facility.

I doubt it’s that easy, even if backup facilities are still in place. It’s doubtful WWOR has a technical staff at work, on standby, or even employed, who can run things for a live broadcast.

If the WNYW staff has never worked in the WWOR building, they can’t just “drop-in” and put a show on the air. Ask any director or engineer how long it takes to learn a system in a different station. Who knows what kind of shape the rest of the technical plant is in. It’s doubtful any equipment for a full live newscast is current, updated, operational or even still in place. Saying you have a back-up facility across the river and actually being able to use it for a fully produced show (instead of a simple emergency broadcast), are two different things.

The Fox studio was turn-key. But why they used Shep instead of their own talent is a different question.

• Like 3

Why they used Shep certainly is the big question, especially when other FOX5 talent appeared on the broadcast just fine.

One thought I had: Is it possible Shep and that studio were on standby for breaking news that night? If so, perhaps the deal was we’ll produce the show for you tonight, but we need our team and anchor in place in case we have to quickly dump out of local and break in on FNC or on the broadcast network? Just a thought.

• Like 2

Do we think maybe they were experimenting? FOX's conservative audience certainly hasn't taken a liking to Shep as of late, and maybe he's tired of the nonstop political on cable. Perhaps they were taking the technical difficulties as an opportunity to test Shepard on FOX5. Probably not but just a thought

• Like 3

I doubt it’s that easy, even if backup facilities are still in place. It’s doubtful WWOR has a technical staff at work, on standby, or even employed, who can run things for a live broadcast.

If the WNYW staff has never worked in the WWOR building, they can’t just “drop-in” and put a show on the air. Ask any director or engineer how long it takes to learn a system in a different station. Who knows what kind of shape the rest of the technical plant is in. It’s doubtful any equipment for a full live newscast is current, updated, operational or even still in place. Saying you have a back-up facility across the river and actually being able to use it for a fully produced show (instead of a simple emergency broadcast), are two different things.

The Fox studio was turn-key. But why they used Shep instead of their own talent is a different question.

Your argument is invalid, because of this particular sentence:

If the WNYW staff has never worked in the WWOR building, they can’t just “drop-in” and put a show on the air. Ask any director or engineer how long it takes to learn a system in a different station.

If that's the case, then why and how did they put the show on the air from FNC? Satellite-fed? Did FNC provide an alternate feed for WNYW? Also, it is likely some from WWOR went to WNYW when WWOR's news department folded. At least some of the on-air people did.

Look, all I'm saying is, Fox clearly still has studios in New Jersey. Who cares what kind of shape it's in, there's a reason they hold onto facilities out there. Otherwise, what's the point?

• Like 1

Your argument is invalid, because of this particular sentence:

If that's the case, then why and how did they put the show on the air from FNC? Satellite-fed? Did FNC provide an alternate feed for WNYW? Also, it is likely some from WWOR went to WNYW when WWOR's news department folded. At least some of the on-air people did.

Look, all I'm saying is, Fox clearly still has studios in New Jersey. Who cares what kind of shape it's in, there's a reason they hold onto facilities out there. Otherwise, what's the point?

I would have to wager Fox News has a fibre link to the O&O master hub in Las Vegas or fed their control room feed to WNYW who then piped that to Vegas.

As for WWOR - the license still dictates a studio presence in Secaucus - that being said at this point it's probably just a sales and creative services location. The studio and control room may be mothballed at this point. If they've gone automated at WNYW for their control room there's probably a small chance anyone there has stepped foot at WWOR.

I think I read they did some uplinks from there (the controllers may be in NYC somewhere) - for all we know it might just be a glorified sat. farm at this point.

• Like 5

Your argument is invalid...

1. Quite obviously the WNYW show at FNC was staffed by FNC technical personnel.

2. This is 2018. In New York every station, network, production house, independent studio, etc. is linked by fiber that can send/ receive any signal to/ from practically anywhere. (Google “The Switch New York”) Arranging to send a signal from any fiber equipped studio to practically any other U.S. location can be done in minutes. (International can also be done, but takes somewhat longer to arrange.) This is a very common everyday practice in New York, where pool feeds for media events are common, and distributed by fiber to/from every station and network every single day. By necessity, WNYW’s hub, wherever it is, would have to have fiber capability. Of course satellite to a hub is also possible, but from New York, fiber is actually easier.

3. It is a relatively simple procedure of putting a show on the air from a remote location, again, especially in New York. Let me put it this way: Let’s pretend WNYW negotiates to air a pre-season, non-network Giants game from [wherever]. WNYW does not send 65 technicians and three truckloads of equipment to [wherever] to produce the program. A third party company produces it and feeds the program in its entirety (minus commercials) to the WNYW hub for air. Fox producing the WNYW newscast and delivering it to WNYW’s hub and air is no different.

As far as why a station has an alleged remote facility in New Jersey that is not airworthy or is not usable, you would have to ask them. But I would bet it’s a license requirement, because WWOR is licensed to New Jersey. And, while their license probably requires them to have the capability, there is probably nothing that says it has to be used.

• Like 3

1. Quite obviously the WNYW show at FNC was staffed by FNC technical personnel.

2. This is 2018. In New York every station, network, production house, independent studio, etc. is linked by fiber that can send/ receive any signal to/ from practically anywhere. (Google “The Switch New York”) Arranging to send a signal from any fiber equipped studio to practically any other U.S. location can be done in minutes. (International can also be done, but takes somewhat longer to arrange.) This is a very common everyday practice in New York, where pool feeds for media events are common, and distributed by fiber to/from every station and network every single day. By necessity, WNYW’s hub, wherever it is, would have to have fiber capability. Of course satellite to a hub is also possible, but from New York, fiber is actually easier.

3. It is a relatively simple procedure of putting a show on the air from a remote location, again, especially in New York. Let me put it this way: Let’s pretend WNYW negotiates to air a pre-season, non-network Giants game from [wherever]. WNYW does not send 65 technicians and three truckloads of equipment to [wherever] to produce the program. A third party company produces it and feeds the program in its entirety (minus commercials) to the WNYW hub for air. Fox producing the WNYW newscast and delivering it to WNYW’s hub and air is no different.

As far as why a station has an alleged remote facility in New Jersey that is not airworthy or is not usable, you would have to ask them. But I would bet it’s a license requirement, because WWOR is licensed to New Jersey. And, while their license probably requires them to have the capability, there is probably nothing that says it has to be used.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I retract my previous statement of the argument being invalid.

In 2014 the WWOR studio was being used for the live TV show The Juice on Veria Living.

"The Juice is an hour long, Veria Living TV's lifestyle TV show that is shot in Secaucus, New Jersey with a live TV audience. Audience members can walk away with giveaways, cool products and vacation getaways."

TV Studio:

Channel 9 Studios

43 Meadowlands Parkway

Secaucus, New Jersey, 07096

https://www.nytix.com/TVShows/2014/thejuice

• Like 1