WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

To me, looks like one of those infomercials pushing skincare products catered to some part of your head hosted by some B- or C-list TV actor in a show no one cares about talking about how awesome it works...until you realize they're not pushing anything, and it's after the hour where these things are usually banished from general viewing.

Whoever created this show apparently wants the news department to go under and be fired.

Well good for Ben. I always liked him. He should do well in Bean Town. It seems like Boston is finding a liking to picking NY Talents. It almost seems like the talent that are being underutilized in their respective area.

Side note: Every time I open the WNYW thread, I hope its for them getting a new set. This thread is such a tease :D:D:D

• Like 1

The New York City / WCVB connection is pretty extensive. Here's a sample:

Phil Lipof, the soon-to-be former 5:00 p.m. anchor at WCVB, joined from WABC a few years ago.

Erika Tarantal, the current noon anchor at WCVB, joined from WNBC a few years ago.

Reid Lamberty, the current weekend anchor at WCVB, previously worked at WCBS and WNYW (where he anchored Good Day Wake Up, the same newscast Ben Simmoneau anchored at Fox 5).

Steve Lacy, Fox 5's current 5:00 and 10:00 p.m. anchor, joined Fox 5 from WCVB, where he a weekend anchor.

Shiba Russell, formerly a WNBC anchor, came to WNBC from WCVB, where she was a weekend anchor.

• Like 2

Well good for Ben. I always liked him. He should do well in Bean Town. It seems like Boston is finding a liking to picking NY Talents. It almost seems like the talent that are being underutilized in their respective area.

Side note: Every time I open the WNYW thread, I hope its for them getting a new set. This thread is such a tease :D:D:D

you mean like WAGA or perhaps maybe WTXF? the few O&Os that still use their old set is WNYW, WJBK and WFLD.

• Like 1

you mean like WAGA or perhaps maybe WTXF? the few O&Os that still use their old set is WNYW, WJBK and WFLD.

I can't believe I'm giving them credit for something, but WFLD has made some changes to their set over the last few years that don't make it totally awful. It's not even the worst in the market.

• Like 1

The New York City / WCVB connection is pretty extensive. Here's a sample:

Phil Lipof, the soon-to-be former 5:00 p.m. anchor at WCVB, joined from WABC a few years ago.

Erika Tarantal, the current noon anchor at WCVB, joined from WNBC a few years ago.

Reid Lamberty, the current weekend anchor at WCVB, previously worked at WCBS and WNYW (where he anchored Good Day Wake Up, the same newscast Ben Simmoneau anchored at Fox 5).

Steve Lacy, Fox 5's current 5:00 and 10:00 p.m. anchor, joined Fox 5 from WCVB, where he a weekend anchor.

Shiba Russell, formerly a WNBC anchor, came to WNBC from WCVB, where she was a weekend anchor.

Even more if you go back in time, including Chuck Scarborough and Len Berman.

• Like 3

Fox 5 is preempting the news once again, this time tomorrow night at 10:30 for a Rosanna Scotto special with Jennifer Lopez. The same special will also air at 9:30 tomorrow morning, preempting Good Day New York.

[MEDIA=twitter]743521387428593665[/MEDIA]

The newscast after the baseball game has a "RECORDED EARLIER" on the top right.

There is no current time or temp next to the FOX5 bug.

That's pretty lame of them. Are they really that tired? PIX11 started their newscast at 12am last night and they had a full live newscast, sports desk and everything.

For a station in the largest TV market in the country to do this practice, is completely uncalled for.

If Channel 7 can do a live broadcast at 12:45am in the morning (like they did on Easter Sunday), then why can't they stay until the game is over to do a live broadcasts? They've done it live many times before. What changed? The crew can't stay past 11:30pm anymore?

News could be breaking at anytime (even in these hours). And to air a pre-recorded broadcast tonight is complelely unacceptable. What a shame.

For a station in the largest TV market in the country to do this practice, is completely uncalled for.

If Channel 7 can do a live broadcast at 12:45am in the morning (like they did on Easter Sunday), then why can't they stay until the game is over to do a live broadcasts? They've done it live many times before. What changed? The crew can't stay past 11:30pm anymore?

News could be breaking at anytime (even in these hours). And to air a pre-recorded broadcast tonight is complelely unacceptable. What a shame.

I'm not surprised. WFLX does the same thing in situations like this but only because its news are produced by WPTV.

I could even see if they let the reporters come in after a certain time but to have the anchors record a newscast just because the game ran late is obsurd. I guess they're to worried that the anchors might be to tired to Facebook live the next day or something. Seriously, what is going on there?

I could even see if they let the reporters come in after a certain time but to have the anchors record a newscast just because the game ran late is obsurd. I guess they're to worried that the anchors might be to tired to Facebook live the next day or something. Seriously, what is going on there?

It's an overtime issue.

Plain and simple.

Fox 5 is going to loose viewers with fluff people will turn to 7 11 4 or 2 where the focus is news

Keep it up and pix 11 might win the demo for the next sweeps they need to get rid of Bryan Harmon and Bring someone in who will finally update that old set

• Like 5

He's actually kind of right for the NYC market where there is not heavy coverage nor general interest in local high school and college sports given the number of professional teams we have. People who want sports news are not turning to the local news, they're watching ESPN and turning to the apps on their phones. The people who enjoy the sports reports on local news are the same people who will watch the the first 25 minutes regardless of there being a sports report. Why do you think it's the last thing that airs at 6 and 11pm and is the first thing to get cut when there's extended breaking news inside a newscast?

Now, I'm not saying cut your sports department altogether but certainly it's time to rethink the value of a dedicated sports anchor and sports producers and perhaps move in the direction of that being a beat that they cover but will be assigned to other general assignment reporting when necessary.

Well one famous New Yorker person disagree with Harmon's theory, Don Paul. Yes,

I just finished 40 years in tv as a broadcast meteorologist. You all know the stereotyped battle for time between weather and sports. Prior to ESPN and the web, sports used to often get absurd amounts of time. In the last 2 decades, audience research does show lower public interest in sports on local news. As for me, I'm only a mild sports fan, with fair weather rooting for the Yanks, the NY Giants and, here, the Buffalo Bills. But here I am--a met--arguing that Mr. Harmon's viewpoint is a classic example of the pendulum having swung too far away from sports. If you're in a competitive market, you can't afford to throw away even the reduced sports-viewer loyalty from your audience. That's especially true if you're a giant professional sports market like NY, Boston, or Chicago and one or more of your teams are heading toward the playoffs. While it's true anyone can get the sports info elsewhere (and more reliable info than from "crap apps" in weather), if the NY Mets make a run for it and someone is headed to bed at 11, a sports fan who would otherwise tune in to see a 10pm newscast is going to choose the one with a stronger sports image and a better sports product. Risky business, Mr. Harmon.

Funny, they have a sports anchor who works mornings and Sundays who also does the Sunday sports show. They have a Saturday sports anchor, and they don't have a weekday sports anchor in busy sports market on a station that airs the World Series annually and the Super Bowl every three years? :confused:

• Like 2

Harmon is ruining the station. Garuntee they are in last place by the end of the summer (with the exception of Good Day NY) and even Greg and Rosanna are starting to annoy me, once in a while a skit is ok but not everyday. They need to reevaluate everything at the station and then they can give us quality product

• Like 1