WNYW - FOX5 News

Smitha A

according to FTV it says she was not renewed and replaced by Baruch Shemtov(kid looks like he is too young to be in tv)

If this is true, it's a terrible decision. Baruch Shemtov is difficult to watch, to say the least. In every report, he seems to be shouting. Anna Gilligan was great, although she is too good to be stuck doing a few short entertainment reports each morning.

If this is true, it's a terrible decision. Baruch Shemtov is difficult to watch, to say the least. In every report, he seems to be shouting. Anna Gilligan was great, although she is too good to be stuck doing a few short entertainment reports each morning.

Yeah he's pretty awful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of Rosanna Scotto, however, something definitely rubbed me the wrong way in this interview: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/rosanna-scotto-tells-ted-cruz-he-wont-win-new-york/168618

So is she implying that it's okay for Donald to say he agrees with partial birth abortion because that's in line with New York values and because he's from New York he can classify at as such? I strongly disagree with that assertion. I don't want to get into a political discussion or into a discussion about what's politically correct, but if it's not okay for one person to say, it's not okay for another person to say either! Also, as a newsperson I don't think she should be labeling the conversation as a "dust up", seems unprofessional since it was far from that.

Disclaimer: I support neither Trump nor Cruz.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of Rosanna Scotto, however, something definitely rubbed me the wrong way in this interview: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/rosanna-scotto-tells-ted-cruz-he-wont-win-new-york/168618

So is she implying that it's okay for Donald to say he agrees with partial birth abortion because that's in line with New York values and because he's from New York he can classify at as such? I strongly disagree with that assertion. I don't want to get into a political discussion or into a discussion about what's politically correct, but if it's not okay for one person to say, it's not okay for another person to say either! Also, as a newsperson I don't think she should be labeling the conversation as a "dust up", seems unprofessional since it was far from that.

Disclaimer: I support neither Trump nor Cruz.

Well Scotto & Trump are good friends, so that probably why she justified what she was saying.

• Like 1

So what happens?

Duke to nights or stays in the AM, correct me if I am wrong, but in the sports world, the night slot is more desirable?

Whether its taking over the night, or the morning... Who gets the spot? Ryan Asselta or Tina Cervasio? Personally, I'd rather see Tina.

So what happens?

Duke to nights or stays in the AM, correct me if I am wrong, but in the sports world, the night slot is more desirable?

Whether its taking over the night, or the morning... Who gets the spot? Ryan Asselta or Tina Cervasio? Personally, I'd rather see Tina.

Duke used to be at nights and went to mornings. At that time, Russ was exclusively on the My9 side and when Duke moved to mornings, Russ would appear on Fox5 from the My9 newsroom to do sports. When My9's newscast got cancelled Russ began appearing in studio at Fox5.

Thoughts on this....

Anna Gilligan (entertainment reporter for GDNY)

Russ Salzberg (sports anchor evenings)

Haven't been replaced. I know that Russ just left on Friday, but having the anchors do sports/entertainment seems a bit weird. I would assume they would at least have fillins.

Is this where they are headed or do you think these players will eventually be replaced.

There was the new weekend girl for sports... I almost wonder if Ryan Asselta is gone too. He has been off the last 2 weeks and this new girl is the new weekend sports girl...

Thoughts on this....

Haven't been replaced. I know that Russ just left on Friday, but having the anchors do sports/entertainment seems a bit weird. I would assume they would at least have fillins.

Is this where they are headed or do you think these players will eventually be replaced.

There was the new weekend girl for sports... I almost wonder if Ryan Asselta is gone too. He has been off the last 2 weeks and this new girl is the new weekend sports girl...

Entertainment really isn't that big of a deal in my opinion. Does any station have more than one entertainment reporter anymore? Sports is big in NY though and it's bad if they aren't going to fill it that's not good.

Fox 5 has recently started airing a new set of promos, describing how they are producing a different, more "modern" newscast. This is an example of one of the promos, but I have seen many different versions, with each of the weekday anchors (Good Day Wake Up - Ben Simmoneau/Juliet Huddy; Good Day NY - Greg Kelly/Rosanna Scotto; Fox 5 News at 5 & 10 - Steve Lacy/Dari Alexander; and Fox 5 News at 6 - Ernie Anastos). Each promo essentially consists of each anchor team having a conversation with Byron Harmon, the news director/V.P. of News, describing how Fox 5's newscasts are unique. One promo even refers to "the NEW Fox 5 News." There are also clips from the various newscasts, and certain reporters/segments are singled out (Alison Morris, the business reporter, is described by the news director has having spiky, platinum hair in one of the promos). The promos certainly seem much better produced than some of the other more recent promos that the station has released, but I think describing a reporter's physical appearance in a promo is a bit strange. It's also rare to see the news director featured in a promo, but Harmon appears in every version I've seen.

Generally speaking, I've noticed that Fox 5 anchors also seem to be much more active on Facebook (especially with Facebook Live) lately, and the lower-thirds now often include a link to the reporter's Facebook page, instead of his or her Twitter handle. The anchors are also sharing their personal opinions or viewpoints on certain stories more and more often on air, from what I can see. This is especially apparent on Good Day Wake Up and Good Day New York, where it's not uncommon to see Ben, Juliet, Rosanna, and Greg share their personal opinions about a certain story. I do not watch the evening newscasts as much, so I'm not sure if this is happening at night, too.

This is quite a change from the traditional local newscast, where personal opinions were rarely, if ever, shared. The anchors have alluded to the fact that the station is encouraging them to use Facebook more often, and to share their opinions on air.

Has anyone else noticed these changes? Does anyone have an opinion? Is this the future of local news, or is this a misguided attempt to modernize the newscasts?

They also discussed that reporter Zachary Kesch (sp?) having dreadlocks.. I don't know why it matters I guess they're trying to show they're different. I don't care what a reporter looks like, I care about the product being put out and FOX5 Isn't quite hitting it.. The morning is fine. I love GDNY but hate those skits they do.. Once in a while it's ok but not all the time.. When Empire is on and they do the special at 10:30 I think it ridiculous. They needs to go back to reporting real local news and stop worrying about hip-hop and who's with who. I think the 6pm is stupid and wasting Ernies talent.. Have him anchor a NEWSCAST solo if they don't want to add an anchor but what they're doing sucks. Social media is important and will continue to be in the future but with the exception of GDNY I definetly don't prefer the "new" FOX5

• Like 3

Thoughts on this....

Happened to catch WNYW this weekend and Erica Wachter is the new weekend sports girl. According to her Linkedin, she is employed by WNYW as of April 2016. They also just welcomed her to the show; so I'd say Ryan is gone and she is permanent.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but if a reporter/anchor is going to be out from behind the desk (sitting on the couch, anything with a full body shot) they should not be allowed to wear jeans. Every Friday Greg wears them and Dan Bowens had them on at 10.. They look very sloppy and honestly comes off as unprofessional.. This apples to both male and female

Fox 5 has recently started airing a new set of promos, describing how they are producing a different, more "modern" newscast. This is an example of one of the promos, but I have seen many different versions, with each of the weekday anchors (Good Day Wake Up - Ben Simmoneau/Juliet Huddy; Good Day NY - Greg Kelly/Rosanna Scotto; Fox 5 News at 5 & 10 - Steve Lacy/Dari Alexander; and Fox 5 News at 6 - Ernie Anastos). Each promo essentially consists of each anchor team having a conversation with Byron Harmon, the news director/V.P. of News, describing how Fox 5's newscasts are unique. One promo even refers to "the NEW Fox 5 News." There are also clips from the various newscasts, and certain reporters/segments are singled out (Alison Morris, the business reporter, is described by the news director has having spiky, platinum hair in one of the promos). The promos certainly seem much better produced than some of the other more recent promos that the station has released, but I think describing a reporter's physical appearance in a promo is a bit strange. It's also rare to see the news director featured in a promo, but Harmon appears in every version I've seen.

Generally speaking, I've noticed that Fox 5 anchors also seem to be much more active on Facebook (especially with Facebook Live) lately, and the lower-thirds now often include a link to the reporter's Facebook page, instead of his or her Twitter handle. The anchors are also sharing their personal opinions or viewpoints on certain stories more and more often on air, from what I can see. This is especially apparent on Good Day Wake Up and Good Day New York, where it's not uncommon to see Ben, Juliet, Rosanna, and Greg share their personal opinions about a certain story. I do not watch the evening newscasts as much, so I'm not sure if this is happening at night, too.

This is quite a change from the traditional local newscast, where personal opinions were rarely, if ever, shared. The anchors have alluded to the fact that the station is encouraging them to use Facebook more often, and to share their opinions on air.

Has anyone else noticed these changes? Does anyone have an opinion? Is this the future of local news, or is this a misguided attempt to modernize the newscasts?

There's really no reason for Harman to be in these promos but I guess he wants the facetime?