WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

Jill Nicolini announced on her FB page that she is pregnant. Wonder if Alex goes back to doing traffic while Jill is on leave?

She actually announced this on twitter on October 7th. But this is certainly interesting, if Alex does traffic, will Jill come back and will they switch spots or will she loose her job? We certainly may be taking this too far, but hey, it was certainly interesting how Alex lost her traffic job in favor of Jill. Her current role is kinda stupid as "social media reporter", except for when she does live reports. The social media trends could easily be read by the anchor, and I believe Alex only appears twice throughout the morning, instead of every 10 minutes like when she did traffic. I'm still kind of sad that Katie McGee left, she was great at both traffic, entertainment, or really anything. She added a bit of professionalism to the newscast, and Jill seems to care more about her appearance than anything (no offense to her, she's just not that professional). I think she did so well at PIX, because PIX kind of had a more laid back type morning newscast, and CBS is a lot more serious.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like CBS 2's weekday morning team (Wragge, Calvi, and Elliott) will be anchoring the Sunday morning newscast tomorrow, pursuant to the following tweets from John Elliott and Chris Wragge:

@ChrisWragge: Tomorrow am!! We are hours away from a Monday @CBS2ThisMorning on SUNDAY! When 5 days aren't enough let's pick 6 @MaryCalviTV @JohnElliottTV

@JohnElliottTV: Goodnight @MaryCalviTV & @ChrisWragge See you bright and early tomorrow for a special Sunday edition of Monday's show...

This seems highly unusual. Any idea why this may be happening?

It looks like CBS 2's weekday morning team (Wragge, Calvi, and Elliott) will be anchoring the Sunday morning newscast tomorrow, pursuant to the following tweets from John Elliott and Chris Wragge:

@ChrisWragge: Tomorrow am!! We are hours away from a Monday @CBS2ThisMorning on SUNDAY! When 5 days aren't enough let's pick 6 @MaryCalviTV @JohnElliottTV

@JohnElliottTV: Goodnight @MaryCalviTV & @ChrisWragge See you bright and early tomorrow for a special Sunday edition of Monday's show...

Well I know Cindy Hsu is off this weekend, as Dick Brennan anchored the news at 9 and is currently doing the news at 11. And Diane or Andrea must not of been available or something, because usually is Cindy is off, Diane or Andrea will just fill in.

Certainly will be interesting to see the weekday morning team on a Sunday. Not highly unusual to see the weeknight team on a Sunday, I've seen Maurice, Kristine, Lonnie, and Otis called in for special events on a Sunday at 11pm. Like the emmy's, or even a high ratings event, like a football game.

It is weird.. I know its happened before but David Navarro was in for Rob Nelson yesterday and Ken Rosato is in today.

It's not unusual to see a weekday anchor fill in on a weekend, but it is highly unusual that the entire weekday team would replace the weekend team for a day, especially when there is nothing special about this particular Sunday morning.

WCBS' roster seems to be small for the largest DMA, is the weekend crew both responsible for doing morning and evening newscasts?

I believe up here WBZ has morning and evening crews for weekends.

For the longest time Cindy was doing both the weekend morning and weekend evening shows. Now Cindy just does weekend evenings, while Diane & Andrea do weekend mornings. Dick was doing both weekend morning and evenings I believe for a bit before he got the 9 pm weeknight slot on WLNY.

For the longest time Cindy was doing both the weekend morning and weekend evening shows. Now Cindy just does weekend evenings, while Diane & Andrea do weekend mornings. Dick was doing both weekend morning and evenings I believe for a bit before he got the 9 pm weeknight slot on WLNY.

And I know when Don Dahler was with Cindy, he did both the mornings and the evenings, while Cindy did just the mornings. If I remember correctly, The Rob Morrison saga happened around the same time that Don left for CBS News, so WCBS became very short on male talent after that, now they only have Maurice, Dick and Chris to work with. In comparison to WABC which has Ken, David, Bill, Joe, and Rob, or WNBC, which has Michael, Rob, David, Chuck, and if you count him, Gus. I'd like to see a nice, solid male presence to make it over to WCBS, so we can balance out the females on the weekends. Never cared for the team of Diane and Andrea, would like to see either Diane with a male, or Andrea with a male. Cindy Hsu is fine by herself, but wouldn't hurt to see a male anchor there too. Just my opinion...

I don't mind the Andrea and Diane team.. They're just very young.. And they're both pretty which pulls in an audience. However when there's big news going on during the weekend I'll turn to ch7 with Rob and Michelle. To be honest WCBS doesn't really have any male reporters I see as anchors. They'd need to hire from the outside.

I mentioned it about WABCs set.. But why doesn't WCBS use live shots for their backdrop? Today at 5 they had the sun setting and it was already dark out.. WNBC had a great shot of Rockerfeller Center.. WPIX had a live shot of the skyline.. Even WNYW had their night drop.. Idk why year after year Ch2 doesn't do the same

I mentioned it about WABCs set.. But why doesn't WCBS use live shots for their backdrop? Today at 5 they had the sun setting and it was already dark out.. WNBC had a great shot of Rockerfeller Center.. WPIX had a live shot of the skyline.. Even WNYW had their night drop.. Idk why year after year Ch2 doesn't do the same

I think something along the lines of this would be great for WCBS' 5pm show, given that it's almost pitch black, but there's still a hint of sun in there. I have to say I think my favorite backdrop was WPIX's, it was a nice live camera of the skyline, and it was absolutely beautiful. It made their studio look so much better, way better than what they had when they used the view of 42nd street.

stock-footage-timelapse-of-dusk-to-night-falling-over-new-york-city-and-the-empire-state-building.jpg

640px-Manhattan_Bridge_in_New_York_City_in_the_dark.jpg

I think live shots as large backdrops are difficult. If it's even slightly windy, the size of the screen will magnify the shakiness and not only destroy the illusion of it being a window but also make viewers dizzy. You need a camera that's stabilized and I think most skyline ones stations use are not.

Noticed WCBS is using the live stream for a special report.

Do they ever stream the newscasts?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/live-video/

Only if there is breaking news "during" a newscast, like I remember the stream worked during the Sandy Hook Shooting...or during a snowstorm or something like that...Otherwise it only works for breaking news and press conferences.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw the new daily promo for CBS 2 News This Morning and they had a different graphics package for the promo. It looks very similar to GMA's 3d ribbon look https://www.flickr.com/photos/80599816@N06/

Oh yeah I actually saw that the other day too and forgot to mention it on here- certainly looks very interesting. Also they have a new weather "transition" package ie. they now have custom "Eye on the storm" lower thirds and newer transitions.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=829485750445790&set=vb.345395675521469&type=2&theater

Just saw the new daily promo for CBS 2 News This Morning and they had a different graphics package for the promo. It looks very similar to GMA's 3d ribbon look https://www.flickr.com/photos/80599816@N06/

KCBS has been using those graphics for the AM promos for over a month now. I see them everyday on Facebook, don't know if they use them on air.

Oh yeah I actually saw that the other day too and forgot to mention it on here- certainly looks very interesting. Also they have a new weather "transition" package ie. they now have custom "Eye on the storm" lower thirds and newer transitions.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=829485750445790&set=vb.345395675521469&type=2&theater

they also have a motion version of those L3s :https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=837145159679849&set=vb.345395675521469&type=2&theater

Here is a new promo called "Gotta Listen to Lonnie."

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152677428319024&set=vb.13539254023&type=2&theater

This seems like a failed attempt to copy WABC and "Weather and Heather" or "There goes that news van again." The only thing is, this is turning weather into entertainment where as WABC's was for the Morning Show and just general EWN.

Honestly, WCBS's weekend weather team should be the weekday one. They are professionals and true meteorologists as opposed to the entertainers that they have on the weekdays.

And don't get me started with the "are his sleeves up?" It literally makes no difference if Lonnie's sleeves are up or down, its all for entertainment and it just makes their weather department look mediocre.

In terms of weather, I have to hand it to WABC, WNBC and WNYW, they have what I think are the best weather teams in New York, ones that you can actually trust. Even WPIX has a pretty good team. WCBS could be good if Elise and Vanessa were the weekday meteorologists.

I like Lonnie and John, I just don't see them as serious weather-casters, John was great on The Couch and Lonnie would be great at hosting something too....

Thats just my opinion though... :)