WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

3 hours ago, Colortini said:

Craig Allen is returning to WCBS for weekend mornings, as per his Instagram post. That’s a great get for the channel as he’s one of the best in the business. Welcome back!

I guess that means John Elliott is back to mornings? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

I guess that means John Elliott is back to mornings? 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvx3ZYQvxne/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

It looks like Craig Allen's role is temporary (at least for now), as he mentions "helping out" the CBS 2 CBS News New York team.  So far, since Elise Finch's passing, John Elliott has appeared every weekday morning and noon, and it looks like this will continue, at least for the time being, with Craig Allen joining to "help out."  

My guess is they will take their time making any permanent decisions, especially given the circumstances.  It will be nice to see Craig Allen back on 2 for the first time since around 2006, when he last served as the station's weekend evening meteorologist.

Edited by bc485
  • Like 3

That's great to see Craig Allen back at 2, obviously wish it was for better circumstances. And I must give props to John Elliott for transitioning to weekday mornings immediately. It will be nice for viewers to see someone they know and not a random CBS meteorologist sitting in Colorado or Texas, although what they did given the circumstance made sense.

• Like 4

The ticker, sans time and temperature, popped up just in time for sports on the 6:00.

(Just realized that it only showed scores and was only used for sports. It returned to the regular static look right after Otis wrapped.)

image.thumb.png.c810dda137fa7da82861a1b37f639739.png

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

According to TVPassport, WCBS is adding an 8pm newscast on WLNY to replace Now News on September 1st.

And what is at 9 pm?  That is when they traditionally did a newscast that took on forms from being unique to a repeat of the 6 pm news...

14 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

According to TVPassport, WCBS is adding an 8pm newscast on WLNY to replace Now News on September 1st.

Doesn't that just mean that they're moving it from 9 to 8?

They must have been expecting a big audience for the Jets pre-game tonight, since Kristine Johnson is in to co-anchor with Jessica Moore, and Lonnie Smith is in for weather. Vanessa Murdock was still working, she did a feature report.

I question how high their ratings were, and why they even bothered adding the weekday regulars, given that Aaron Rodgers didn't play (and apparently never does in pre-season games).

Edited by MisterBill

The newscast at 9 is CBS News Now or whatever it’s called. They stopped producing the local news a while ago at 9pm. So this 8pm is technically new or a “reboot” per se. I wonder who will anchor? It would be nice to see Dick and Alice again.

4 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

The newscast at 9 is CBS News Now or whatever it’s called. They stopped producing the local news a while ago at 9pm. So this 8pm is technically new or a “reboot” per se. I wonder who will anchor? It would be nice to see Dick and Alice again.

Now will be gone, discontinued.  The question is do they go to a unique show with their own anchors, or resort as they did before now with a repeat (twice) of the 6 pm show?  Time will tell.  I suspect what it starts as will not be what it eventually becomes, including being a live newscast, length, and which hours, if indeed it signals an expansion. 

Although I will miss the 9pm timeslot, perhaps they think the 8pm may be better so its worth trying. Still a unique slot for news in the New York market. Very glad they are not cancelling news on WLNY outright. Hoping Dick and Alice will be anchors again but time will tell. Dana/Maurice/Kristine would be fine too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Now will be gone, discontinued.  The question is do they go to a unique show with their own anchors, or resort as they did before now with a repeat (twice) of the 6 pm show?  Time will tell.  I suspect what it starts as will not be what it eventually becomes, including being a live newscast, length, and which hours, if indeed it signals an expansion. 

Before “Now” launched, my recollection is that the 9pm news was anchored by Maurice and Kristine, and aired live at 9 for a half hour, repeated at 9:30. I am not sure I understand the comment about the 9pm being a repeat of the 6pm news. Do you mean the content was a repeat of the 6?  

In any case, it’s good to see that the “Now” experiment is over. The original “News at 9” was a good newscast, but they ruined it when they replaced it with a CBSN New York branded newscast.  Fortunately that went away during COVID, replaced by “CBS 2 News at 9” with Maurice and Kristine, until they ruined that with the “Now” hybrid local/national program. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new WLNY 8pm newscast debuted tonight. Dick Brennan anchoring. As it was pre-NOW, it’s a half-hour and repeating right after it.

Also, in an interesting move, WLNY will also start simulcasting the 8am hour of CBS Mornings after the CBS News New York 7am streaming simulcast on the 12th.

Edited by Georgie56

Just watched the first newscast- was nice to have Dick back as anchor; I could honestly seem them also having a rotating team of Dick, Dana, Maurice and Kristine doing the 8pm. As I expected it is branded as "CBS 2 News at 8". I wonder if any "New York 55" branding would make its way onto news, but doesn't seem like it if they want the CBS brand on sister stations.

21 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Also, in an interesting move, WLNY will also start simulcasting the 8am hour of CBS Mornings after the CBS News New York 7am streaming simulcast on the 12th.

That is very interesting. Another interesting note- I also noticed that on weekends, it seems there will be no "CBS 2 News at 8"; but on Sundays from 8pm-9:30 WLNY will air a repeat of CBS Sunday Morning! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Here's the new WLNY logo to be launched soon as a part of a new standardized look. Goodbye 10/55 I guess. I am a little sad they didn't retain the 'WLNY' name, since the NY is pretty self identifiable in that. I would've went with WLNY10 or WLNY55.

image.thumb.png.8a9f8b237369911dc262d00a0d5a80fd.png

Yeah WLNY 10 or 55 would have worked. I would  highlight  the letters NY in the callsign logo to draw reference to the city. I'm surprised that they didn't call it CBS New York+ or something given that they're deemphasizing channel numbers.

I do think the stations kinda need to diversify their styles because we have a plethora of local outlets with nearly identical presentation.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:44 AM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Here's the new WLNY logo to be launched soon as a part of a new standardized look. Goodbye 10/55 I guess. I am a little sad they didn't retain the 'WLNY' name, since the NY is pretty self identifiable in that. I would've went with WLNY10 or WLNY55.

image.thumb.png.8a9f8b237369911dc262d00a0d5a80fd.png

NY55 lives on!!

On 9/3/2023 at 3:26 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

I was recently wondering why I haven't seen him on the air in quite a while; sad to find out he was ill. Condolences to his family and CBS2 colleagues. CBS has a nice tribute here: 

WNBC had a nice tribute to him as well on the Sunday newscast… lots of old clips from his time on Channel 4.  (Tribute not on their website)