WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

6 hours ago, MisterBill said:

Looks like they're no longer doing the 9pm news broadcast on weekends. The schedule shows Magnum PI on Saturday and SEAL Team on Sunday. It's still on the weekday schedule.

CBS is reportedly sunsetting News Now at the end of next month. The weekend editions of the show have been cancelled, which gives credence to this.

• Like 4

Oh my, I certainly was not expecting to hear Jessica Moore announce this on the news at 6:30 tonight. Elise Finch has passed away. https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/remembering-our-beloved-colleague-elise-finch/ 

Prayers and condolences to her whole family. WCBS will probably have more of a tribute tomorrow morning

• Sad 9

49 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Oh my, I certainly was not expecting to hear Jessica Moore announce this on the news at 6:30 tonight. Elise Finch has passed away. https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/remembering-our-beloved-colleague-elise-finch/ 

Prayers and condolences to her whole family. WCBS will probably have more of a tribute tomorrow morning

I’ve been a weather watcher on CBS 2 for 9 years and she did so much for me with getting me on tv more than I should have. She was such a nice woman and I’ll never forget her. Mornings will not be the same without her presence. Such a shock—so young and had so much more to give. I’m devastated. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Very shocked and sad to hear this tonight.

I was an intern in the summer of 2007. There had recently been a piece in one of the papers about all the new weather hires (I believe three -- Elise, Lonnie and John -- had all just started within the previous few months). It was somewhat critical of the others but lavished praise on Elise. I ran into her in the hallway shortly after that came out, introduced myself, and said something like, "Congratulations on all the kind things said about you in the paper!" She said hello and kindly accepted the compliment but also noted how she didn't feel good about it because her colleagues didn't receive a similar response. I know it's a quick story but I was just impressed as a young intern at her humility and truly feeling like a member of a team.

Elise leaves behind her daughter Grace and her husband Graig, who is a photojournalist at the station. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/remembering-our-beloved-colleague-elise-finch/ 

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Reminds me of Katherine Creag's passing, just sudden and random with no visible indication. Very unexpected. Very tragic. RIP to Elise and condolences to her colleagues and family.

Reminded me of Lisa Colagrossi's, too. 

• Like 5

I really appreciate the way CBS 2 handled a horrible situation today. They mentioned Elise briefly at the top of basically every newscast, but then got to the rest of the news, before going in depth and tossing to a longer tribute package. Cindy, in for Chris, was with Mary this morning. You can tell that Cindy and Elise were close. (Cindy is close with everyone.) John did a great job mixing in memories and positive thoughts with the weather. They played Elise's favorite songs as rejoins throughout the morning. 

At 5, they tossed to an updated version of the tribute. Then Tony Aiello had a nice package about Elise growing up in Mount Vernon and coming back home. That was followed by Dick (in for Maurice), Kristine and Lonnie sharing heartfelt memories and words at the desk together. At 6, Dana had her own tribute package, and then she, Dick and Lonnie reminisced about Elise again.

A very emotional day but I think CBS 2 did Elise proud.

• Like 12

The situation for now seems to be putting John back on weekday mornings (where he was originally), with Lonnie and Vanessa in their same spots; and then farm out the weekend AM newscasts to other CBS stations for weather. John Marshall would be another good addition, but now he's over at FOX weather. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

The situation for now seems to be putting John back on weekday mornings (where he was originally), with Lonnie and Vanessa in their same spots; and then farm out the weekend AM newscasts to other CBS stations for weather. John Marshall would be another good addition, but now he's over at FOX weather. 

He’s been there with WCBS hasn’t he? I don’t think he’s wanna go back 

6 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

John Marshall actually departed from Fox Weather in September 2022. Looks like he's been doing his own thing on social media ever since.

On 7/22/2023 at 9:29 PM, Georgie56 said:

Ashton Altieri at KCNC is doing the evening shift tonight. I guess the weather team is taking the weekend for bereavement after Elise Finch's passing.

Viewers in the comments aren't very fond of the new faces, I have to tell them that the station is in need of a helping hand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

John Marshall actually departed from Fox Weather in September 2022. Looks like he's been doing his own thing on social media ever since.

I don't know why he left? I don't understand why native NY journalists hate national news and weather channels despite the good pay and the luxuries, local news can go so far with budgets to make millions it takes time and longevity, national news is great pay. Matt Lauer and Al Roker have shown it can be done.

Edited by RaleighTVBOI1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

I don't know why he left? I don't understand why native NY journalists hate national news and weather channels despite the good pay and the luxuries, local news can go so far with budgets to make millions it takes time and longevity, national news is great pay. Matt Lauer and Al Roker have shown it can be done.

Who is making millions in local TV these days, even in market #1?

• Like 1

I want to compliment CBS 2 on a great tribute to a great woman. They really did a classy job honoring Elise Finch with the service that went from around 10:34 until 2pm. Dave Carlin spoke, as did Maurice DuBois. They had a video of everyone’s memories of her, too. She is going to be missed dearly, but CBS 2 has been classy the entire time since announcing her passing. 

I’m sure there were more in the church but I spotted Dana and Dick sitting together, which was nice to see her colleagues honoring her. 

Rest easy, Elise. Thank you for a great 16 years at the station. You will be forever missed! 

IMG_7309.jpeg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

CBS 2 CBS News New York has added the ticker/flipper, but only on the online stream so far. The TV broadcast continues to show the tickerless ticker.

I don't understand why it took them so many months to edit the one that they used with the previous look, because it's largely the same, just designed to align with the new bug. And I still think it's pretty useless. I wish they'd focus on making the ticker local. Also, tighten up the animations so there aren't so many times where nothing is displayed.

• The hyper local 7-day forecasts for various towns across the region lack details. I'd rather something more like now/tonight/tomorrow (or now/today/tonight, depending on the time of day) so that they could fit some text descriptions and not ignore low temperatures.
  • Sports scores should be limited to local teams so that viewers don't have to watch every game's score slowly flash by.
  • Lottery results are also weird to me, and take up too much time.

But it seems the tickers are pretty automatic. Just pulling data from feeds and headlines off the website (headlines that are sometimes extremely vague).

image.thumb.png.583c4871ce75326308b551c213c56402.png

image.thumb.png.ca934963f76e5252c69e862ad428aac7.png

• Like 2