WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

1 minute ago, Manny NYC said:

They had an actual secondary set for awhile. What happened to it?

It was not very good. Not sure what happened to it, and if this is the same space. (It appears to be using some of the same elements.)

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

CBS 2 News has John Elliott doing his Saturday morning weather reports from inside Legoland. After at least some of the segments, the commercial break began with a 5-sec spot saying "This portion of CBS 2 News was sponsored by Legoland New York Resort."

I know other stations often sell off portions of their "lifestyle" shows but it seems poor for a news broadcast to send its talent to spend a considerable chunk of its airtime promoting whoever pays them.

What's an on-location weather report doing inside anyway?

image.thumb.png.bddc75b3539e213777c46c35759c4a10.png

525109603_Screenshot(45174).thumb.png.cb29bda14ae6edec743e773fd8641b08.png

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

CBS 2 News has John Elliott doing his Saturday morning weather reports from inside Legoland. After at least some of the segments, the commercial break began with a 5-sec spot saying "This portion of CBS 2 News was sponsored by Legoland New York Resort."

I know other stations often sell off portions of their "lifestyle" shows but it seems poor for a news broadcast to send its talent to spend a considerable chunk of its airtime promoting whoever pays them.

What's an on-location weather report doing inside anyway?

image.thumb.png.bddc75b3539e213777c46c35759c4a10.png

525109603_Screenshot(45174).thumb.png.cb29bda14ae6edec743e773fd8641b08.png

You read my mind.  This is a fun segment for a weekend morning, and John Elliott is the perfect person for the assignment.  However, the Legoland sponsorship is concerning to see on a news broadcast.  I guess we can at least be happy that they did not try to hide the fact that Legoland is sponsoring at least a portion of the newscast.

Edited by bc485
  • Like 3

CBS is a corporation after all. I’m not bothered by this in the slightest, it’s a weekend morning show. It would be interesting were one of the flagship network broadcast doing this but even still I’d not be overly concerned.

Actually weren’t NBC and ABC leveraging sponsors to skip their usual ad breaks on the nightly broadcasts for a bit?

• Like 5

Yeah.. this isn't a big deal. It's a weather segment presented/sponsored by a well-known, family-friendly company. Not unlike seeing a small logo for a local car dealership during the weather segment for example.

Now if the new set is made out of Lego and they rename the newscast  'Lego presents...the CBS 2 News at...', that would be something to be concerned about.

Edited by jase
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, jase said:

Yeah.. this isn't a big deal. It's a weather segment presented/sponsored by a well-known, family friendly company. Not unlike seeing a small logo for a local car dealership during the weather segment for example.

It may not be a big deal, but it is very different from a small logo on one of the weather slides. This sponsorship dictated programming during a news program.

21 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

It may not be a big deal, but it is very different from a small logo on one of the weather slides. This sponsorship dictated programming during a news program.

The key here is that this wasn't a news segment. I see it as the equivalent of John doing a feature story on Legoland and interviewing people. Did he say or do something that is questionable/improper?

I don't think this rises to the level where the journalistic integrity of John or CBS 2 is in question [or should be in question].

Edited by jase
  • Like 7

You see this all the time on Fox station morning shows like Good Day. Most of the segments are paid for by the business being promoted and aren't just the reporter just coming into a business looking into something new at random, but coordinated in advance (you don't see a trampoline park open at 7am or a restaurant with their dinner menu at breakfast, usually). This is downright tame, especially for a Saturday morning show.

At least they were completely transparent about it being a sponsored segment; most in smaller markets just aren't.

• Like 4

Legoland has been very aggressive with their media campaign. They've been buying up ads and pitching a lot of stories to TV stations wherever they open up new locations. When the one opened up here, we did a few stories and segments on it. I got tired of all things Lego and passed on any of their other pitches about new exhibits or events because I didn't really see much news value in them.

It's very possible that Lego bought ads on WCBS from the sales department and then turned around and pitched the news department to do a live shot out there for 'newsworthy' reasons, unbeknownst to either news or sales. This is an unfortunate circumstance that makes it look like Lego paid for the ad and the segment even though it's likely they paid for the ad but not the segment.

Or, maybe I'm giving WCBS too much of the benefit of the doubt, and perhaps they are pay-for-play. In that case, it's inexcusable.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I think this can have the potential to be a bit sleazy, but if we’re being honest, the ship has sailed on the era of “no sponsors on the news.” There are stations that put sponsorships for car dealerships and ambulance-chasing lawyers on the headline ticker and the 7-day forecast. Of course, there are also the pay-for-play advertorial shows that are disguised as talk shows, which John Oliver did a good job of pointing out. Those are far more egregious imo. 

While this was a news program, I think it was apparent that this wasn’t a news segment. It’s not as though we had coverage of the Russian coup attempt sponsored by Legoland.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, C Block said:

It's very possible that Lego bought ads on WCBS from the sales department and then turned around and pitched the news department to do a live shot out there for 'newsworthy' reasons, unbeknownst to either news or sales. This is an unfortunate circumstance that makes it look like Lego paid for the ad and the segment even though it's likely they paid for the ad but not the segment.

Or, maybe I'm giving WCBS too much of the benefit of the doubt, and perhaps they are pay-for-play. In that case, it's inexcusable.

CBS 2 News made it clear that Legoland sponsored the segment. And with John appearing at least four times an hour, they got a lot of coverage. Legoland purchased the presence of a member of the CBS 2 News team during a CBS 2 News broadcast.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

CBS 2 News made it clear that Legoland sponsored the segment. And with John appearing at least four times an hour, they got a lot of coverage. Legoland purchased the presence of a member of the CBS 2 News team during a CBS 2 News broadcast.

Okay, relax. Did it create bias in their presentation of the weather? I think you’re making a big deal out of nothing. 

• Like 11

On 6/7/2023 at 5:34 PM, Geoffrey said:

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize there was already a thread in the Studio section...

Looks like CBS 2 CBS News New York is on a temporary set.

image.thumb.png.84453886a1722b6a4baa3d4632957c53.pngimage.thumb.png.c1d7fa13ab2790703e3e8da279060fc8.png230909811_Screenshot(42134).thumb.png.ab7bbf98eee786639d4336d8aab5d0e8.pngimage.thumb.png.fdccdb61fd814295c1befee4337c97bd.png

Even this temporary set looks better than what WNBC has. Well lit, smooth, not too washed out.

EDIT: This is a tired discussion but John Elliott belongs on the weekdays again, especially doing feature segments for the 9am. Give Cindy Hsu the noon as well.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 5

WCBS made another interesting anchor decision this morning- teamed 2 male anchors together (Doug Williams with Dave Carlin). I believe the only other NYC station to do this was WNYW a few years ago? Interesting how 2 women anchors are so commonplace and 2 males are incredibly rare, at least in the NY market.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

WCBS made another interesting anchor decision this morning- teamed 2 male anchors together (Doug Williams with Dave Carlin). I believe the only other NYC station to do this was WNYW a few years ago? Interesting how 2 women anchors are so commonplace and 2 males are incredibly rare, at least in the NY market.

Dave is only filling in. I do believe they did this during the holiday's before. Don't remember if it was this past holiday or the year before. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I don’t know why stations think it’s taboo or something. It was commonplace back in the day. KYW did it earlier in the week too. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Rare indeed. Cool! 

2 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I don’t know why stations think it’s taboo or something. It was commonplace back in the day. KYW did it earlier in the week too. 

I was just thinking about this. Some of the most iconic anchor duos -- especially in NYC -- have been two males yet we rarely see it in news across the country anymore. In sports and radio however, it's commonplace. My assumption is networks trying to appeal to a certain demo? IDK.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 3

I totally understand the phasing out of male co-anchors during the latter third of last century, for obvious reasons, but as women have broken through and feature more prominently in weather and sports coverage, I don't know why even one-off fill-ins of male co-anchors are still seen as a non-starter. It just seems silly that stations look like they're afraid of the virtually non-existent blowback.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...