WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

Hazel Sanchez left CBS 2 last month after 21 years: https://www.facebook.com/hazelsanchez/posts/10227892059945996?__cft__[0]=AZV1Zbk6QSz0uiBuLapFI7_6T6huWemOqm0OvU3XaMwGQHK5S8_guZlQrg1etCkoOYD91xcgdc6dWhGHfHGSAg7YsyTGvzdVSbh2TRcFcZ06nTMlFFSGQLgVeJjF0d5ssdI&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

She joined in 2000 as a reporter but often filled in as an anchor in the morning those days. In recent months, she began to have more fill-in opportunities again, so I was surprised to see her suddenly disappear.

"I’m especially thankful the next chapter of my life will keep me close by. All I can say for now, is it’s a wonderful opportunity for me and my family.

So it’s not goodbye. It’s see you around. And I’ll see you on tv again very soon."

My first guess was maybe WPIX. The new news director there was at CBS 2 when Hazel joined so they have a long history.

Hazel posted yesterday that an announcement is coming today, and she used hashtags #newsanchor and #ilovenewyork. The Facebook version of her post shows her sharing a meal with a guy whose face is covered up and the caption includes: "We’ve shared the stage and now we’ll share a desk."

I guess we'll find out soon!

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Hazel Sanchez left CBS 2 last month after 21 years: https://www.facebook.com/hazelsanchez/posts/10227892059945996?__cft__[0]=AZV1Zbk6QSz0uiBuLapFI7_6T6huWemOqm0OvU3XaMwGQHK5S8_guZlQrg1etCkoOYD91xcgdc6dWhGHfHGSAg7YsyTGvzdVSbh2TRcFcZ06nTMlFFSGQLgVeJjF0d5ssdI&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

She joined in 2000 as a reporter but often filled in as an anchor in the morning those days. In recent months, she began to have more fill-in opportunities again, so I was surprised to see her suddenly disappear.

"I’m especially thankful the next chapter of my life will keep me close by. All I can say for now, is it’s a wonderful opportunity for me and my family.

So it’s not goodbye. It’s see you around. And I’ll see you on tv again very soon."

My first guess was maybe WPIX. The new news director there was at CBS 2 when Hazel joined so they have a long history.

Hazel posted yesterday that an announcement is coming today, and she used hashtags #newsanchor and #ilovenewyork. The Facebook version of her post shows her sharing a meal with a guy whose face is covered up and the caption includes: "We’ve shared the stage and now we’ll share a desk."

I guess we'll find out soon!

We have to see.. ALOT of PIX people are commenting on it.. Maybe she’s the new early morning anchor.. I don’t see any other stations that need an anchor unless she’s going to WNBC as an evening anchor. Guess we’ll see. 

Edited by nynewslover

6 hours ago, nynewslover said:

We have to see.. ALOT of PIX people are commenting on it.. Maybe she’s the new early morning anchor.. I don’t see any other stations that need an anchor unless she’s going to WNBC as an evening anchor. Guess we’ll see. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT5UqSslC1h/?utm_medium=copy_link

It’s official… Hazel Sanchez is the new co-anchor of the PIX11 Morning News with Dan Mannarino from 7-11am weekdays. 

2 minutes ago, bc485 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT5UqSslC1h/?utm_medium=copy_link

It’s official… Hazel Sanchez is the new co-anchor of the PIX11 Morning News with Dan Mannarino from 7-11am weekdays. 

So what happens to Betty? i guess that is to be discussed in the other thread.

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

think this began on Monday, however the News at 9 is now back to using the WCBS graphics/production style with the WLNY 10/55 bug instead of the CBSN New York look. It's still odd there is no time and temperature and just a black bar under the bug.

The actual newscast is 30 minutes with a repeat from 9:30-10. The open is just the CBS eye, general open.

A newscast that doesn't look like a simulcast of a cheap internet stream- a step in the right direction. I for sure miss the custom WLNY graphics and image news theme (and Alice and Dick); but if given the choice of CBS2 graphics and music vs. CBSN new york, I'd gladly take CBS2. They seem to not use "live" bugs at the top due to the rebroadcast. Reporters say "CBS2News" at the end and the mic flags seems to no longer reflect WLNY. It seems like since COVID they abandoned the idea of rebroadcasting an 8pm broadcast from the CBSN studio with Dick Brennan solo anchoring and just do it live at 9 with Maurice and Kristine. These changes likely reflect Sarah Burke taking over as ND- something tells me they might start to do away with CBSNNY brand and studio; especially since it's probably too tight to fight 2 anchors.

Saw it last night. A step in the right direction for sure. Was glad to see the WLNY bug implemented again. 

Maybe in the future, as COVID eases out, we might see more.

I honestly wish the WCBS/WLNY duopoly was as good as the KCBS/KCAL duopoly.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

A newscast that doesn't look like a simulcast of a cheap internet stream- a step in the right direction. I for sure miss the custom WLNY graphics and image news theme (and Alice and Dick); but if given the choice of CBS2 graphics and music vs. CBSN new york, I'd gladly take CBS2. They seem to not use "live" bugs at the top due to the rebroadcast. Reporters say "CBS2News" at the end and the mic flags seems to no longer reflect WLNY. It seems like since COVID they abandoned the idea of rebroadcasting an 8pm broadcast from the CBSN studio with Dick Brennan solo anchoring and just do it live at 9 with Maurice and Kristine. These changes likely reflect Sarah Burke taking over as ND- something tells me they might start to do away with CBSNNY brand and studio; especially since it's probably too tight to fight 2 anchors.

Actually the "CBSN" brand, both nationally and the local ones are to be rebranded as "CBS News"/ "CBS News (local), which will include a new look for the service. (The national CBSN will move into Studio 57)

Perhaps this may also mean a new studio for the CBSN New York service.

Edited by NYTV

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I just saw a video from the noon newscast (they were sitting normally this morning). They're even further apart than before, but at least more centered this time. Also I took a screenshot cause I thought this graphic looked...interesting.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 4.39.37 PM.png

Thanks for grabbing that lol I saw it at the very end of the newscast.. not sure if it was used elsewhere at all. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nynewslover said:

WCBS is back to social distancing on set.. anchors are now on opposite ends of the desk.. similar to how WPIX has their anchors sitting. 

Also to note.. Maurice and Kristine are off.. Dick Brennan and Andrea Clyde-Thomas filled in (Andrea actually filed a report earlier in the day) and Dick filled in again at 6 for Dana.. Lonnie did the weather from home. I know it’s a holiday week but I’m wondering if there was a positive and they had to scramble to get coverage and set up? 

Very plausible...another thing to note is that there was a point last week where John Elliott seemed to be the only weather talent available...he filled in for Elise in the AM and noon, Lonnie in the PM, did his normal shift Saturday morning AND filled in for Vanessa Saturday night. I guess they normally would've brought John Marshall in but he's now at Fox weather.

On 12/22/2021 at 12:04 AM, kshow said:

Dana Tyler did the 5, 6, and 11 today. Somethings up. I don't remember the last time I saw her on 11p.

It was cool seeing Dana on the 11 again, with Dick Brenan especially. I always wonder why they left Dana solo at 6pm, and didn't pair her with Dick.

I really don't think it's anything too serious but Christmas vacation staff shortages. I suppose people think something's off because Dana being the senior talent is working multiple newscasts on Christmas Eve Eve. Reguardless, it's good to see old school veteran anchors getting airtime outside of the usual 6'o'clock. 

Edited by iron_lion

Alice Gainer has moved to CBS News, or is in the process of doing so. She posted a video of her doing a CBS News Flash today, and had posted a photo of her with the caption "Last week @cbsnewyork" five days ago. Ironically, she just anchored the Saturday night local newscast last weekend. IMHO, they really did her wrong when they cancelled the separate WLNY News at 9PM and just turned it into an abridged version of the WCBS newscast with the same anchors. Glad to see that she's getting an opportunity with the network.

46 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

Alice Gainer has moved to CBS News, or is in the process of doing so. She posted a video of her doing a CBS News Flash today, and had posted a photo of her with the caption "Last week @cbsnewyork" five days ago. Ironically, she just anchored the Saturday night local newscast last weekend. IMHO, they really did her wrong when they cancelled the separate WLNY News at 9PM and just turned it into an abridged version of the WCBS newscast with the same anchors. Glad to see that she's getting an opportunity with the network.

I think you are speculating here. I saw the Instagram photo, which showed her reporting in front of Radio City, and interpreted it as the photo was being posted a few days after it was taken, as in “last week.”  And she was just tagging @cbsnewyork. 

As far as anchoring CBS News overnight, it’s the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day, so my guess is many regular staffers are off and CBS News tapped WCBS for a fill in. 

I could be wrong, but until and unless we get confirmation from Alice or CBS, I would not assume anything. 

Edited by bc485
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, bc485 said:

I think you are speculating here. I saw the Instagram photo, which showed her reporting in front of Radio City, and interpreted it as the photo was being posted a few days after it was taken, as in “last week.”  And she was just tagging @cbsnewyork. 

As far as anchoring CBS News overnight, it’s the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day, so my guess is many regular staffers are off and CBS News tapped WCBS for a fill in. 

I could be wrong, but until and unless we get confirmation from Alice or CBS, I would not assume anything. 

That was what I originally thought as well about the "last week" comment. But now she's now posted two days of the CBS newscast and gotten congratulations in the comments from friends and co-workers. We'll have to see what happens next week.

On 12/29/2021 at 12:38 PM, MisterBill said:

That was what I originally thought as well about the "last week" comment. But now she's now posted two days of the CBS newscast and gotten congratulations in the comments from friends and co-workers. We'll have to see what happens next week.

As of now the profile at CBS New York has not been removed.  Unless there's a instagram/twitter post from her or a statement from CBS News  I wouldn't go very far with this.