WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

So I'm hearing that this was surprising and abrupt to even her co-workers. So I wonder why she/they decided for her to leave...

Also a Wednesday is such an odd day to leave... 

I don't like this at all... 

On 3/21/2024 at 3:39 PM, Geoffrey said:

This bug appeared at 5:30 for about a minute this evening, before being taken away and replaced by the normal blue one.

Pretty weird. The ugly gradient reminds me of CBSN's old "Red & Blue" look (and also 1990s web design).

CBS23-21-2024531pm.thumb.png.0fb92beed635420a4fdb92d6a9f11ae6.png

KPIX had that color scheme on its Noon and 3pm newscast for a few days when it first got the graphics.

It was to my assumption that was a transition from mornings (orange) to evenings (blue)

• Like 3

Speaking of Jennifer McLogan, she recently also celebrated 35 years at WCBS, and I'd say they gave her a pretty nice tribute here (alongside her daughter who is also now a reporter there): 

Also note at the end all of her colleagues and production crew (Dana front and center) came out and clapped at the end. It's possible Dana really didn't want that (Dick mentioned she didn't want a big send off), but it's still surprising (as noted above) more of her longtime colleagues were not involved.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I know you probably don’t mean it this way, but this comes off a bit ageist to me. Chuck is willing to work, NBC is willing to have him work, the viewers love him, and he’s still good at what he does, so I don’t see any reason for him to stop just because he’s old. It’s not as though he’s impeding younger journalists from greater opportunities. Besides, David Ushery and Natalie Pasquarella are the primary anchors there now, and if anything, having someone like Chuck in your newsroom to mentor younger journalists is an asset, not a liability.

As far as Dana’s concerned, I’ve never met her, so I can’t speak to what others have said about her. Some people talk about her being supposedly difficult to work with, others have nothing but great things to say about her. That said, she was a good anchor who did her job well for decades, and I think she deserved acknowledgment for that. Ideally, one could argue she should’ve been given a bigger sendoff, but considering the nature of the TV news business, I’m glad she was given any sort of sendoff at all.

I hate to say this, but the poster does have a point. Yes, there's alot of ageism goes on in many work industries. Television news is no exception either. Chuck, still might be spry, but Sue Simmons got the boot and he didn't is very telling.  Sue a year older than Chuck, and he still get to anchor one newscast where her contract wasn't renewed. Chuck and Sue were an institution together on WNBC and a pillar in NYC area, but he should of been ushered out along with Sue.  The question is why? Was it because he was a man? Again, their age only separates them a year apart.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

John Sterling is 85 and Bob Uecker is 90. Both are still calling games for the Yankees and Brewers, respectively. Age doesn't matter as long as you're capable of doing the job.

No its sexism and in some way racism also keep in mind this happened to Sue over at 4. It sexism cause an older women can’t be on air as long as a man it gives off those mysoynist vibes, and I’m injecting race into it because I haven’t seen this happen to a Caucasian women. All the white females I’ve seen retire have been given fantastic send-offs. You literally mentioned how the took part of the NYSBA video so they didn’t even do an organic goodbye, that shows there in it for money and could care less. I thought it was disingenuous that one of the bosses at WCBS who should remain unnamed was on that NYSBA video saying how great she was and was one of the bosses that probably green lighted her being taken off the desk. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I hate to say this, but the poster does have a point. Yes, there's alot of ageism goes on in many work industries. Television news is no exception either. Chuck, still might be spry, but Sue Simmons got the boot and he didn't is very telling.  Sue a year older than Chuck, and he still get to anchor one newscast where her contract wasn't renewed. Chuck and Sue were an institution together on WNBC and a pillar in NYC area, but he should of been ushered out along with Sue.  The question is why? Was it because he was a man? Again, their age only separates them a year apart.

I’m not privy as to why Sue’s contract wasn’t renewed. If it’s a case of ageism/sexism, that’s horrible and there’s zero excuse for it. However, it’s also entirely possible that she was ready to retire and he wasn’t. There’s also internet gossip (which I won’t link to because it’s not credible) that suggests that Sue was “phoning it in” and that management at the time wasn’t willing to give her a new contract; again, I’d take that with a grain of salt.

If we go off the assumption that Sue’s dismissal was unfair, however, I don’t think one unfair dismissal demands another. It wouldn’t have made it right for both of them to be forced out for their age instead of just one of them; amplifying ageism in the workplace is not the solution to sexism IMO.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I know this isn't New York but remember what happened with Lisa LaFlamme over at CTV? She's only 59 but was let go shortly after she went gray while Lloyd Robertson anchored well into his 80's.

Edited by ATLNewsExpert

10 minutes ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Remember what happened with Lisa LaFlamme? She's only 59 but was let go shortly after she went gray while Lloyd Robertson anchored well into his 80's.

No offense, but who?  I don't recognize those names from WCBS or WNBC in the 80s, 90s, to today.

Edited by NowBergen
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:53 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

t’s also entirely possible that she was ready to retire and he wasn’t.

We should probably shift this to the WNBC thread before the moderators step in.

I will say that Sue definately wasn't ready to retire. She said at 10:58 that she hoped to be employed elsewhere, even at least once a week. 

• Like 5

WCBS debuted an entirely new 6pm newscast tonight, anchored solely by Kristine Johnson. Kristine stood throughout the studio, with an entirely new intro, skyline backdrop, color scheme, and format. Tonight’s broadcast did not include sports. 

Additionally, Maurice went without a tie and open collar for 5pm today, which was… different. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, badabing said:

WCBS debuted an entirely new 6pm newscast tonight, anchored solely by Kristine Johnson. Kristine stood throughout the studio, with an entirely new intro, skyline backdrop, color scheme, and format. Tonight’s broadcast did not include sports. 

Additionally, Maurice went without a tie and open collar for 5pm today, which was… different. 

Sounds quite a bit like the format that KPIX has been doing for the last 18 months or so.

• Like 2

I've had trouble logging in here over the last week but just figured out a way...

I was in shock when Dana signed off from the station. Others have already said it better but it felt so abrupt. I've been a fan of Dana's for nearly 28 of her 34 years at WCBS-TV and even had the honor of working with her for a few years. Yes, she is a perfectionist but she makes everyone better and most people really appreciated that. That's exactly the kind of person you'd want as a captain of a news organization. Dana deserved better, as did the viewers.

Wild speculation time: Might she somehow end up with WPIX? Their ND is a WCBS veteran and goes way back with Dana. I believe they have a lot of respect for each other. Not sure they'd have the budget but I could see *something* being worked out somehow. Even if it's just weekly Broadway reports and maybe serving as a fill-in. I don't know.

The new 6:00 is interesting. Looks like Maurice and Kristine will take turns anchoring it. Tonight was Kristine's turn. Nice use of different areas of the studio. Colors look nice, though weird to go with dark colors and a sunset photo when the sun is now setting well after 7pm. Couldn't tell if they had more sit-downs with reporters, or if they would have done those anyway but at the desk. Maybe a bit of both. Also, there was no sports. I can't help but think Dana would have pulled off this modified format brilliantly, but I guess Paramount really needed those budget cuts. Quite a shame.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Love the dim, warm lighting and the blue/purple gradient of the set. Hope they use it for the 11:00 news. 

I liked the sit down debreifs with Elle McLogan and Tim. I also like that they're trying the borough *reporter concept such as Elle covering Queens.

Not bad changes. They *add a little variety to the standard format.

I thought the point of removing Dick and Dana was to have their full A-team on at at six, not just Kristine solo. I still don't see why Dick and Dana couldn't do this? 

13 hours ago, badabing said:

Perhaps to give off a more informal vibe? If they're tweaking wardrobe to affect viewer perception, Nate Burleson does it well! 

Overall CBS 2 News is a clean cut solid news product. I definitely watch them more than I do Fox 5 or PIX 11. But again their presentation feels stiff minus a few personalities like Lonnie, Marcia and John Elliott. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

It looks pretty cool I will definitely have to tune in and watch it at some point, it’s definitely something different even from the channel 5 format. 

As for the “no tie” I’m a little surprised that Maurice would go more casual where this morning Chris is still in a tie, I could see the morning show being a bit more casual or even if Maurice anchors the new 6 show (Sam Champion, Mike Woods and of course Mornings at 10) but I’m surprised for the 5pm show 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Overall CBS 2 News is a clean cut solid news product. I definitely watch them more than I do Fox 5 or PIX 11. But again their presentation feels stiff minus a few personalities like Lonnie, Marcia and John Elliott. 

This, their newscast has a corporate feel with no real personality. You can take WCBS and drop it in any other CBS O&O market without missing a beat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

It looks pretty cool I will definitely have to tune in and watch it at some point, it’s definitely something different even from the channel 5 format. 

As for the “no tie” I’m a little surprised that Maurice would go more casual where this morning Chris is still in a tie, I could see the morning show being a bit more casual or even if Maurice anchors the new 6 show (Sam Champion, Mike Woods and of course Mornings at 10) but I’m surprised for the 5pm show 

As much as we should be focused on journalistic quality rather than wardrobe, it does impact viewers in part.  

If CBS was trying to make things feel different with no tie, I don't really think it's effective, because so many reporters already do it.

I enjoy when male talent like Shannon Sharpe or Nate Burleson stepping out of the conventional blue/black/gray suit look. Sports anchors do this well. We have a very homogenous news talent style and newscast format across the industry---I won't declare that switching up style will add more viewers, but adds personality at least. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Sad 1

Tuned into the new 6pm broadcast. The intro is interesting (it uses a different music cue). Kristine is the anchor again, so I'd argue she's the new (solo) anchor. I noticed Maurice anchored yesterday at 8pm, so perhaps he will do the 8pm while Kristine does the 6pm each night.

The closest thing this format reminds me of in NYC is when Ernie Anastos (and for a while Lori Stokes) did the 6pm on FOX5 with interviews from the other side of the studio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Tuned into the new 6pm broadcast. The intro is interesting (it uses a different music cue). Kristine is the anchor again, so I'd argue she's the new (solo) anchor. I noticed Maurice anchored yesterday at 8pm, so perhaps he will do the 8pm while Kristine does the 6pm each night.

The closest thing this format reminds me of in NYC is when Ernie Anastos (and for a while Lori Stokes) did the 6pm on FOX5 with interviews from the other side of the studio.

At 8pm today it was with Kristine, I think she will continue alternating with Maurice.

Is CBS planning to have “Primetime New York” at 8pm in the future? 😆

On 3/28/2024 at 9:13 AM, TVNewsLover said:

None of those places have weekday openings. WABC has not replaced Sandra on weekends, and I’m not convinced they’re going to.

They are hiring a weekend anchor/reporter. 

On 4/2/2024 at 5:05 AM, RealNews18 said:

Yup, but I think Ch 2's experiment though is executed better than Ernie's. I remember a segment where he sat at the edge of his office desk style anchor desk and he was holding a baseball or something to talk about that subject. It felt a little cheesy/contrived, but  I still appreciate the effort they made in delivering a non standard newscast with positivity.

The earthquake coverage really highlighted the difference in tone between the two stations. From what I saw of the extended coverage and Noon, CBS 2 had John and Cindy stery covering this in a serious tone. Meanwhile, around 11am on Fox 5 Rosanna, Curt and the GDNY crew were expectedly more light hearted. Rosanna even said she though she could could have been drunk since the earth was shaking, lol. 

Edited by MediaZone4K

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 10:37 AM, bc485 said:

Andrea Grymes made it very clear at the end of this morning’s newscast that this move is not her choice and that she is disappointed. As RealNews18 notes, and confirmed by this Instagram post, she hasn’t made a decision regarding staying at WCBS as a reporter. 

Has anyone seen Andrea since she left the anchor chair? She hasn't been on social media since she left, but she's still listed on the CBS website. I don't watch WCBS enough to say definitively that she hasn't been on any newscast as a reporter.

Edited by MisterBill

31 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

Has anyone seen Andrea since she left the anchor chair? She hasn't been on social media since she left, but she's still listed on the CBS website. I don't watch WCBS enough to say definitively that she hasn't been on any newscast as a reporter.

To my knowledge she has not been on air since then. I noticed on the website Dana Tyler's bio was scrapped, so it has undergone some updates. Notably, Elaine Quijano and Craig Allen are not listed on the website. 

• Thought-Provoking 1