WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

Not sure if the other stations did the same but CBS 2 brought in the weekday morning anchors to anchor this Sunday morning. Not much snow in the city and Long Island, but some places did get some accumulation. They also had a bunch of reporters in the field, including weekend morning co-anchor Doug Williams.

Interestingly, John Elliott and Tony Sadiku swapped roles this morning. Since joining a few weeks ago (not including holiday fill-in duties), Tony has been in the field while John handled the regular studio work.

image.thumb.png.1e098ac66735c7adac2144a97bf6ea62.png

Screenshot(59933).thumb.png.b5a665c419a64dfeacdfb14c3b34d52d.png

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Interestingly, John Elliott and Tony Sadiku swapped roles this morning. Since joining a few weeks ago (not including holiday fill-in duties), Tony has been in the field while John handled the regular studio work.

I guess it allowed John to work closer to home for the day.

Noticed this new promo: 

It seems that he was hired as a second weekday morning meteorologist alongside John (makes sense with them adding all these newscasts). Maybe this would also allow John to do more interview segments or maybe outdoor segments like he used to do on the weekends.. Craig Allen seems to be on weekend mornings still, for now.

• Like 1

John and Tony seem to be just as confused about the arrangement as we are!

From the video the station released:

John: "What do you think about doing team weather?"

Tony: "I'm excited about it!"

John: "How do you think this is going to work?"

Tony: "That's a good question. We've gotta figure that out, don't we?"

John looking into the camera: "We have NO idea!"

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:12 AM, Geoffrey said:

Not sure if the other stations did the same but CBS 2 brought in the weekday morning anchors to anchor this Sunday morning. Not much snow in the city and Long Island, but some places did get some accumulation. They also had a bunch of reporters in the field, including weekend morning co-anchor Doug Williams.

image.thumb.png.1e098ac66735c7adac2144a97bf6ea62.png

Screenshot(59933).thumb.png.b5a665c419a64dfeacdfb14c3b34d52d.png

I know it was the first respectable amount of snow in 2 years but did the accumulation totals warrant bringing in the weekday team?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

I know it was the first respectable amount of snow in 2 years but did the accumulation totals warrant bringing in the weekday team?

In the city, no. In some of the northern suburbs, sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/9/2024 at 8:34 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

It seems former WNBC reporter Lori Borondoro (who left in 2018) has re-emerged on WCBS as of today.

Her Twitter bio says "Freelance TV News Reporter CBS New York."

Edited by IceManNYR

This was at 6 a.m. Doug Williams anchored first, saying the storm caused technical difficulties with the studio. My guess is that this was being switched from master control and not the regular control room. There were no graphics or video. He tossed to Craig Allen in the actual weather center, saying Craig couldn't hear him but someone would cue him to go. Craig did weather for something like 12 minutes, before Doug tossed to "In Focus." At 6:31, Andrea Grymes did basically the same thing, with Craig going about as long. This time, however, they were able to go to a John Dias live report. I didn't catch the rest to see if they filled out the half hour but things appeared normal when they were back for the 9 a.m.

• 4 weeks later...

CBS 2 CBS News New York recently added traffic to their ticker/flipper, but, once again, the execution is sloppy.

Each bus route is listed separately, even if they all say "planned - route change" or "expect delays". The result is a seemingly endless stream of one bus route at a time with generally the same status update. I'm outside of the city and not familiar with the buses, but it didn't seem like there was some bus armageddon the last few days that required so much dedicated screen time, so my guess is that these statuses are fairly routine. At one point on Saturday when I paid attention, the bus-by-bus information filled the flipper for about five minutes. 

It just seems like they're looking for automated data feeds to stick on the flipper without any care to the utility of the information. (And while we're at it, I've never found the seven-day forecasts for different towns across the area particularly helpful. I'd rather that be replaced with something like a today/tonight/tomorrow with a short text description to go along with the simple icon. And I'm not in love with the lottery there, either -- but hey, it's a feed that probably requires zero maintenance!)

My solution, if bus routes were really important to keep, would be to have "expect delays" and then all of the affected routes listed together. Then repeat for other statuses. Same information, but keeps it moving.

Below is an example from this morning, beginning at around 0:30 and remaining on screen for the three minutes left in this clip.

Sorry for the unhinged rant. 🙂

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

CBS 2 CBS News New York recently added traffic to their ticker/flipper, but, once again, the execution is sloppy.

Each bus route is listed separately, even if they all say "planned - route change" or "expect delays". The result is a seemingly endless stream of one bus route at a time with generally the same status update. I'm outside of the city and not familiar with the buses, but it didn't seem like there was some bus armageddon the last few days that required so much dedicated screen time, so my guess is that these statuses are fairly routine. At one point on Saturday when I paid attention, the bus-by-bus information filled the flipper for about five minutes. 

It just seems like they're looking for automated data feeds to stick on the flipper without any care to the utility of the information. (And while we're at it, I've never found the seven-day forecasts for different towns across the area particularly helpful. I'd rather that be replaced with something like a today/tonight/tomorrow with a short text description to go along with the simple icon. And I'm not in love with the lottery there, either -- but hey, it's a feed that probably requires zero maintenance!)

My solution, if bus routes were really important to keep, would be to have "expect delays" and then all of the affected routes listed together. Then repeat for other statuses. Same information, but keeps it moving.

Below is an example from this morning, beginning at around 0:30 and remaining on screen for the three minutes left in this clip.

Sorry for the unhinged rant. 🙂

That Chevy ad is tacky.  It smacks of smaller market TV.  Isn't there a better way to show sponsorship as all the stations do with sponsored sports reports?

Edited by NowBergen

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

Today was Andrea Grymes last day anchoring at WCBS. She is unsure if she’ll continue with them reporting during the week, as she was ONLY working weekends. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3xiZ0MuMuh/?igsh=Mm9ya24wbDNvaXZi

Andrea Grymes made it very clear at the end of this morning’s newscast that this move is not her choice and that she is disappointed. As RealNews18 notes, and confirmed by this Instagram post, she hasn’t made a decision regarding staying at WCBS as a reporter. 

I was surprised to see Andrea and Doug Williams being so candid on air this was not Andrea’s choice. 

Andrea has been on weekend mornings since 2013 or so, with the exception of the COVID years where Cindy Hsu anchored solo from 2020 until Andrea returned in 2022. 

Edited by bc485
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 4

That’s a shame. I thought Andrea was a good anchor, and she and Doug had great chemistry. I’m glad they were allowed to be frank and honest about the whole situation on air, though. That said, they’re fixing something that isn’t broken IMO.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bc485 said:

I was surprised to see Andrea and Doug Williams being so candid on air this was not Andrea’s choice.

Definitely a surprise to hear Andrea clearly indicate that it was not her choice, especially since she seems to be weighing their offer to report during the week. She recently expressed gratitude on social media for being able to only work on weekends so that she could spend time with her young children, so I'd be interested to see if she winds up staying, and if they work out an option where she only works a couple days a week. I wonder if this change had less to do with her performance (she got along very well with Doug and Craig) and more the station's desire to use weekends to better develop a bench for weekday filling in and grooming potential weekday anchors.

It sort of sounds like they will be hiring from outside for the job. In recent months, Dave Carlin and Tim McNicholas have been used as fill ins on weekend mornings, but it doesn't seem like they'll be going in this direction.

• Sad 1

Such a shame for CBS bosses to force Andrea out of the chair,  a chair that has been hers since as others mentioned, 2013. Her and Doug (and Craig) were all great together (speaking of which I would hope Craig would stay too). I was thinking recently how nice it would be for Alice Gainer to be a permanent anchor again in some capacity since she lost the news at 9 gig, and she is great whenever she fills in (especially with Dick Brennan). Either way I'm also surprised CBS is allowing both Andrea and Doug to speak the truth about the change, since that will obviously fuel anger and hate towards WCBS (and heck, if enough speak out maybe even reverse that decision)!

At least I haven't seen talent shifts at other stations recently where the anchors were allowed to speak so candidly about decisions by the bosses.

Either way Andrea has talent and deserves that chair; if not at WCBS she will certainly earn it somewhere else.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Either way I'm also surprised CBS is allowing both Andrea and Doug to speak the truth about the change, since that will obviously fuel anger and hate towards WCBS (and heck, if enough speak out maybe even reverse that decision)!

Don’t count on that happening. The decision’s been made, and unfortunately, what’s done is done. Not only would that be unfair to the person they hired for the job; news executives generally don’t walk back their decisions like that. They’d have proverbial egg on their face if they did.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie

Andrea I always thought was great as anchor, especially with Cindy, but there’s also no diversity so maybe that has something to do with this move? I feel like this was the reason John was bumped from weekdays in favor of Elise, who I thought was great, too, but adding Tony into the mix makes sense for this reason after Elise’s passing. I don’t mind Tony but John doesn’t need a partner in the morning. It’s kinda insulting in a way. John’s day could be shortened to have it make more sense. Also, I like Chris and Mary (Chris is honestly the best male morning anchor in NYC in my opinion), but for as long as they’ve been paired together, it seems they never move the ratings needle.  WCBS has a great team but nothing seems to work! 😕

Edited by Colortini
  • Like 1

B&C states that WCBS is making a big change to its 6pm broadcast.

Dana Tyler & Dick Brennan will depart from their 6pm anchor roles at the end of March.  

Maurice DuBois and Kristine Johnson (who anchors the 5 & 11) will take over the 6pm duties.

• Sad 3
  • Angry 2

So this must be part of the 'big changes' Andrea teased the bosses were making. Such a shame to move Dana (and Dick too) off that desk, these bosses ought to be ashamed of themeselves. This seems reminiscent of when Bill Carey re-assigned Kaity and Jim, or when Sue Simmons was forced out at WNBC. 

Terrible moves this week overall. I think these changes will alienate lots of WCBS viewers. But I would think if they are making these changes, ratings must not be good.

• Like 5

Admittedly Dana isn't the strongest anchor these days (when solo) but this isn't is a solution at all. Maybe it's just me but don't viewers get tired of seeing the same faces on every newscast? That's Maurice and Christine at 5,6, (8 on WLNY?) and 11. I'd think you would want a veteran like Dana Tyler up against Chuck Scarborough and Bill Ritter in the same slot. 

Dick is great on air and deserves an anchor spot wether it's with Alice or Dana. 

If ratings ate behind this, Dana and Dick aren't the problem the dry CBS o&o format is. 

Devil's advocate, maybe this is for the better. There was pushback when Dana and Jim Rosenfield were booted from the 11 in favor of Maurice and Christine, but ratings improved.

So we'll see.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2