WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently WCBS is now tasked with producing newscasts in Atlanta each night at 8pm (under the NOW newscast brand). This obviously conflicts with their 8pm newscast in New York (it is done from the same studio), so I'm guessing this is pre-recorded at 7pm or even 3/4 pm? Dana Tyler seems to be the permanent anchor, with Lonnie Quinn doing Atlanta weather. Hypothetically, they could probably do both live if they wanted, with this taking place in their backup (old CBSN) studio? I don't think that's been seen since they updated their current set, so it's possible that set is undergoing another refresh.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:25 PM, Geoffrey said:

CBS 2 updated their 9/11 ceremony graphics this year to match their new look. (Once again, they are VERY large.)

Interestingly, they used the CBS 2 black square logo and not the CBS News New York one.

image.thumb.png.7759c6efcdbc1e220f5a9f8f13c5b065.png

image.thumb.png.d3284441a7f9a23e7a1611b47dba6f05.png

Wow those L3s are big and terrible. 

10 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Apparently WCBS is now tasked with producing newscasts in Atlanta each night at 8pm (under the NOW newscast brand). This obviously conflicts with their 8pm newscast in New York (it is done from the same studio), so I'm guessing this is pre-recorded at 7pm or even 3/4 pm? Dana Tyler seems to be the permanent anchor, with Lonnie Quinn doing Atlanta weather. Hypothetically, they could probably do both live if they wanted, with this taking place in their backup (old CBSN) studio? I don't think that's been seen since they updated their current set, so it's possible that set is undergoing another refresh.

CBS needs to give up on this NOW thing. it just feels like a cheap generic storebrand of a  newscast.

Any word yet on who's going to replace Elise Finch? Raegan Medgie from FOX5 posted that she's leaving the station after today. She got her meteorology degree a year or so ago.

Personally, I'd love it if they could convince Megan Glaros to come back. The folks in Chicago got rid of her during a purge a few years ago. She does not appear to be working (at least not regularly) based on her IG account.

1 hour ago, MisterBill said:

Any word yet on who's going to replace Elise Finch? Raegan Medgie from FOX5 posted that she's leaving the station after today. She got her meteorology degree a year or so ago.

Personally, I'd love it if they could convince Megan Glaros to come back. The folks in Chicago got rid of her during a purge a few years ago. She does not appear to be working (at least not regularly) based on her IG account.

My opinion is that they already replaced Elise with John Elliott. John, Lonnie and Elise all came to WCBS at the same time in 2007 so he deserves (and before Elise had) the weekday spot. I still remember all the random people complaining when he was moved to weekends lol. Having Craig Allen on weekend mornings is great but I don't know if thats a long term plan or if Craig wants that gig back permanently. I could see Raegen Medgie joining for weekend mornings (she already had a stint on WCBS years ago), or Megan Glaros if they wanted to go that route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

My opinion is that they already replaced Elise with John Elliott. John, Lonnie and Elise all came to WCBS at the same time in 2007 so he deserves (and before Elise had) the weekday spot. I still remember all the random people complaining when he was moved to weekends lol. Having Craig Allen on weekend mornings is great but I don't know if thats a long term plan or if Craig wants that gig back permanently. I could see Raegen Medgie joining for weekend mornings (she already had a stint on WCBS years ago), or Megan Glaros if they wanted to go that route.

I can't see Megan moving back for a weekend morning slot. Not clear that she would at all, but it would be great.

I could see Raegan getting the weekend morning slot. But remember that they already dumped John from the weekday morning slot when they gave it to Elise. Does her unfortunate death change their mind, or is he just there temporarily? I would be surprised for Raegan to get the weekday slot, so they would probably look for someone else.

Also, while Craig Allen is great, I think that's just temporary.

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MisterBill said:

I can't see Megan moving back for a weekend morning slot. Not clear that she would at all, but it would be great.

Agreed. Given that Megan Glaros and Erin Kennedy created a whole YouTube channel discussing the dysfunction of the TV news industry, I don’t see her returning to Chicago TV, let alone weekends in NY.  She seems to be embracing her NW Indiana life…

Edited by ttvn2000
  • Like 2

John deserves to be on weekdays, and it’s comforting having him back after the loss of Elise Finch. Sorry if I’m in the minority here but Raegan Medgie is one of the most annoying personalities on television. She was annoying on The Weather Channel and she was just as annoying on FOX 5. Yes, she has high energy but she’s way over the top, and for her to replace John Elliott or Craig Allen would be crazy. Craig Allen is one of the, if not best/most knowledgeable meteorologists in NYC. Only if he wants to give up that slot then sure, hire her to fill the slot to give the weekend show a shot in the arm. However, to have someone like Craig Allen on the weather team gives CBS 2 major credibility, and makes the team much stronger. 

On 10/6/2023 at 10:49 PM, Colortini said:

John deserves to be on weekdays, and it’s comforting having him back after the loss of Elise Finch. Sorry if I’m in the minority here but Raegan Medgie is one of the most annoying personalities on television. She was annoying on The Weather Channel and she was just as annoying on FOX 5. Yes, she has high energy but she’s way over the top, and for her to replace John Elliott or Craig Allen would be crazy. Craig Allen is one of the, if not best/most knowledgeable meteorologists in NYC. Only if he wants to give up that slot then sure, hire her to fill the slot to give the weekend show a shot in the arm. However, to have someone like Craig Allen on the weather team gives CBS 2 major credibility, and makes the team much stronger. 

Did not realize that Raegan was on TWC as I don't get it.

John Elliot isn't exactly a low-key personality, either. But I do like him. As for Craig Allen, when he posted that he was coming back, I think he said that it was temporary.

On a different topic, Andrea Grymes is back on the weekend morning news, but posted that she is just working that for now. Staying home with her three kids on weekdays.

Edited by MisterBill

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 10:49 PM, Colortini said:

On 10/6/2023 at 2:30 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Keep John and Craig where they are on WCBS. I could have seen Regan on mornings at Fox 5 given that she dialed it back just a bit. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So sad to hear of Pablo's passing. I grew up watching him and admiring his storytelling, and then I got to work at the same place as him. He was a nice guy and always made you feel cool.

CBS 2 had a nice tribute tonight at 5. The station has unfortunately gotten good at doing these this year.

And just a random tweet I came across that showed some of his personality. (This was the live tag after a package. He signed off as "John Slattery.")

Edited by Geoffrey
Fixed the video link
  • Like 3

In Pablo's lovely tribute package they said and showed him anchoring with Cindy Hsu. It had a 6:30 time stamp so I'm guessing AM and weekend since Cindy was in the clip. Anyone recall that pairing? It must have been in the early 2010s based on graphics.

EDIT: 

Screenshot_20231128_213407_YouTube.jpg

Edited by MediaZone4K

2 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

In Pablo's lovely tribute package they said and showed him anchoring with Cindy Hsu. It had a 6:30 time stamp so I'm guessing AM and weekend since Cindy was in the clip. Anyone recall that pairing? It must have been in the early 2010s based on graphics.

As I can remember, during the News 2 era, and when Cindy Hsu co anchor Kendra Farn became a field reporter, I remembered he anchored with her briefly.