WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

17 hours ago, bc485 said:

Per this Instagram post, Dick Brennan is joining Dana Tyler as co-anchor of CBS 2 News at 6, starting today: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj0wcxpDblD/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Interesting move. I like the idea of coanchors, but Dana has been solo at 6pm for so many years now (since Chris Wragge moved to mornings after Rob Morrison was let go, which I believe was in 2013).

Long overdue IMO. Not that Dana wasn’t a good solo anchor, but Dick Brennan deserves the spot. This also helps on days when one of them is off; the other anchor can just do it solo instead of having the 5pm team fill in.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 1:11 AM, IceManNYR said:

image.thumb.png.33fbfe977323061c658c75c87ef9cafd.png
The first episdoe of the new Showtime series "Let the Right One In" uses a simulated newscast from WCBS.

reminds me of their earlier 2010s L3 which I like much better than the current ones. They were much cleaner and slicker. 

On 10/18/2022 at 9:14 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

Long overdue IMO. Not that Dana wasn’t a good solo anchor, but Dick Brennan deserves the spot. This also helps on days when one of them is off; the other anchor can just do it solo instead of having the 5pm team fill in.

Finally! Dick is a good anchor and he'll be solid with Dana. Agreed that she wasn't that strong of a solo anchor. Comparably, I'd say Chuck Scarborough on News 4 is a decent solo anchor but he's better with a co-anchor at 6 as well. 

As someone mentioned earlier about a 4pm newscast, I hope WCBS doesn't do that and sticks with Judge Judy reruns. There's enough news as is on daytime tv and WCBS's product is already pretty generic (though I do like Lonnie, Maurice and Kristine as a team). 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 5:12 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Jennifer Bisram just popped up in a report for WCBS..so perhaps she has a joint agreement between them and News12?

I suspect that the News12 spot was just a quick fill-in spot before moving to WCBS. Or else things quickly soured, and she had another offer that she had initially turned down.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Encore Emp said:

Lonnie Quinn filled in on today’s morning newscasts.

It’s very rare to see him on that side of the day.

Was also going to mention this.. was shocked to see him this morning! FWIW, Vanessa handled practically all newscasts during the Thanksgiving holiday week/weekend. I definitely feel like WCBS could use another meteorologist (like when John Marshall would fill in); I've noticed they tend to overwork one person on holidays a lot. 

53 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Was also going to mention this.. was shocked to see him this morning! FWIW, Vanessa handled practically all newscasts during the Thanksgiving holiday week/weekend. I definitely feel like WCBS could use another meteorologist (like when John Marshall would fill in); I've noticed they tend to overwork one person on holidays a lot. 

He was on at noon 5pm and 6pm as well

On 12/5/2022 at 4:22 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I must be really slow with this stuff, because I didn’t even know she left CBS2 to begin with.

She left several years ago to host the NJ version of Restaurant Hunter on FiOS1 News. I loved the Westchester County version of that show, the one thing I really missed when the channel folded.

1 hour ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

I might've just never noticed before; but Dana and Kristine is the 5pm team tonight; I don't recall the last time they anchored together despite them being on different shifts every night

I noticed that as well and was surprised. Usually Dana fills in for Kristine.. I didn’t see the 6:00.. was Dick Brennan off? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My friend alerted me to this today: Doug Williams, formerly part of SNY's Mets coverage, will be joining CBS 2 as a weekend morning co-anchor and weekday reporter. CBS 2 used to have Cindy Hsu and Andrea Grymes co-anchor on weekend mornings, but switched to Cindy being solo once the pandemic hit. (Andrea joined Cindy on Cindy's last day in August, before Cindy moved to 9 a.m. weekdays and Andrea took over weekends.)

Interesting seeing the move from sports to news once again.

5 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

My friend alerted me to this today: Doug Williams, formerly part of SNY's Mets coverage, will be joining CBS 2 as a weekend morning co-anchor and weekday reporter. CBS 2 used to have Cindy Hsu and Andrea Grymes co-anchor on weekend mornings, but switched to Cindy being solo once the pandemic hit. (Andrea joined Cindy on Cindy's last day in August, before Cindy moved to 9 a.m. weekdays and Andrea took over weekends.)

Interesting seeing the move from sports to news once again.

Good news, in my opinion. Weekend mornings on CBS 2 have been boring with a solo anchor, so it’s good to see a coanchor being added. Interesting to note that Doug Williams is the son of Brian, who anchored and reported at WCBS in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s prior to moving to NBC News. 

• Like 3

I'm glad they're adding a co-anchor; Cindy has more of the personality to solo anchor a show; whereas Andrea likely works best with a co-anchor. Interesting move hiring a sportscaster. Reminds me of Chris Wragge Scott Stanford, and Rob Powers' transitions.

Also this move now leaves the weekend evenings as the only WCBS newscast period with a solo anchor if you don't count the 9am.

Edited by NYNewsCoverage