WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

It was a great send-off for Cindy, nice to see them all come together for it! Very glad Andrea will be Cindy's successor; I still don't quite understand why she was dropped from the chair during the pandemic but it was likely due to protocol (hence why they couldn't do in-person segments at the broadcast center until basically today). It will be nice to see Cindy's presence on the weekdays more

On 8/11/2022 at 8:21 PM, iron_lion said:

I love Cindy on weekends against Pat Battle and Michelle Charlesworth. I dont necessarily think a 9am newscast is the best thing for WCBS, but I think the most sensible option would be to have Cindy do 9 AM and Noon, to relieve some of the hours off of Chris and Mary (working pre 4am to about 1pm). 

They also do the 7am streaming yes Cindy could do 9am and noon. She very peaceful feel she has been unused.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, Chopper4 said:

I do like the corporate, polished look of the WCBS news.  I like Maurice Dubois and Kristine Johnson together.    I find it very professional. 

I like WABC Eyewitness News too,  but I find the blue lower third a little too big.   I prefer the Chicago ABC 7 look.  Thinner and sleeker. 

One thing that bugs me from the WNBC News is the see through table.   A desk would be nicer.   I am not a fan of seeing the anchors' knees when they are sitting.    

Why did WNBC do that was that a pandemic decision.

• Like 2

I heard it was going to focus on good news with interviews, so not like a typical newscast. Cindy does seem like a perfect fit for that. I remember watching her and Morry Alter as a kid on the morning news and she has always had such a friendly delivery. I really hope they also give her noon but bring John Elliott along with her, because the two of them work well together but especially if it’s a good news type of newscast, John is good at that, too!

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Colortini said:

I heard it was going to focus on good news with interviews, so not like a typical newscast. Cindy does seem like a perfect fit for that. I remember watching her and Morry Alter as a kid on the morning news and she has always had such a friendly delivery. I really hope they also give her noon but bring John Elliott along with her, because the two of them work well together but especially if it’s a good news type of newscast, John is good at that, too!

Something tells me they may bring John along to do feature reports on certain weekdays; sort of like how Vanessa or any other weekend anchor will do reporting on a few weekdays when not working weekends. We shall see!

• Like 2

This video appears to have the full open which seems similar to the leaked video. This also makes me wonder why it took so long for WCBS to have a Sunday morning politics/public affairs show. I guess they did briefly with Exit 10/55 on WLNY many years ago. WABC has Up Close/Here and Now, WPIX had PIX News closeup and now PIX on politics, however I think WNBC lacks a Sunday AM politics show as does WNYW.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

This video appears to have the full open which seems similar to the leaked video. This also makes me wonder why it took so long for WCBS to have a Sunday morning politics/public affairs show. I guess they did briefly with Exit 10/55 on WLNY many years ago. WABC has Up Close/Here and Now, WPIX had PIX News closeup and now PIX on politics, however I think WNBC lacks a Sunday AM politics show as does WNYW.

The Point was exclusively streaming on CBSN NY for a while.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 6:13 AM, iron_lion said:

Cool! Didn't Marcia have a public affairs show back in the day aswell!

Looks like WCBS looks like did local coverage for the first half hour of the the Queen's funeral at 5:30 AM, then went with network coverage. Their local news is on WLNY right now.

Sunday Edition, right?

For a long time, Marcia Kramer hosted "Sunday Edition." Then when Andrew Kirtzman joined her as the station's second political reporter, her show alternated with "Kirtzman & Co." The shows were later replaced with "Kirtzman & Kramer." Later they had "Eye on New York," which was less political with more feature segments and interviews, and I think it was hosted by Dana Tyler (or possibly a rotating cast of talent?). But it's been a while since CBS 2 had a Sunday morning show other than regular live newscasts.

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 2:19 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

WNYW currently has "Good Day Street Talk" hosted by Antwan Lewis, airing Sundays at 6:30AM. To date, both WNBC and WXTV Univision 41 are the only NYC-area stations without a weekend AM political/current affairs show. 

On 9/22/2022 at 7:32 PM, NYTV said:

WNYW currently has "Good Day Street Talk" hosted by Antwan Lewis, airing Sundays at 6:30AM. To date, both WNBC and WXTV Univision 41 are the only NYC-area stations without a weekend AM political/current affairs show. 

WNBC used to have a current affairs show called "The Debrief with David Ushery."

I first noticed it Friday at noon. I think the ticker not only looks incredibly ugly but it's also pretty useless. National sports scores, 7-day weather forecasts for different towns in the area (how about more details about the next 24-48 hours for different regions instead?), headlines from the website that are sometimes more clickbaity than informative, etc.  Wish they'd redo this so that it looks nicer and has more useful local information.

If the ticker is gone, permanently or temporarily, why not use the old bug that has the time and temperature that's actually in alignment with the logo?

The current O&O graphics package was always pretty boring but CBS 2 has really looked bad with the sloppy mix with the "CBSN New York" look. I'm hoping the new look that comes is more elegant.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Per this Instagram post, Dick Brennan is joining Dana Tyler as co-anchor of CBS 2 News at 6, starting today: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj0wcxpDblD/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Interesting move. I like the idea of coanchors, but Dana has been solo at 6pm for so many years now (since Chris Wragge moved to mornings after Rob Morrison was let go, which I believe was in 2013).

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bc485 said:

Per this Instagram post, Dick Brennan is joining Dana Tyler as co-anchor of CBS 2 News at 6, starting today: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj0wcxpDblD/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Interesting move. I like the idea of coanchors, but Dana has been solo at 6pm for so many years now (since Chris Wragge moved to mornings after Rob Morrison was let go, which I believe was in 2013).

It seems like WCBS is listening to us lol Dick and Dana (same with Alice) always made a great team so this is exciting! Also definitely makes room for a possible expansion to 4pm in the near future....

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, bc485 said:

Very interesting! I can't tell if this is permanent or not. You would expect Brennan to say something like "I'm joining the team" or "from now on, I'll be with Dana." It feels like he hopes it's permanent but maybe it's just a trial for the next few weeks through the election.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Very interesting! I can't tell if this is permanent or not. You would expect Brennan to say something like "I'm joining the team" or "from now on, I'll be with Dana." It feels like he hopes it's permanent but maybe it's just a trial for the next few weeks through the election.

Great points. You’re right. The whole announcement was sort of vague, and they didn’t make any reference to Dick being in the spot on the newscast tonight. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. 

• Like 1