WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

Checking tonight, there was 7 min of local news at the start of CBS News New York Now from Kristine Johnson in studio.

Alice Gainer did a report and it was dark outside, she said she was live, though there was no live bug on screen.

After that they went to CBS News anchor Tom Hanson. At 9:20pm they did have a local weather forecast.

Another local news update ran again around 9:34pm.

Edited by IceManNYR

As I said before CBS local's problem is that it feels like a generic corporate model duplicated across many cities with no uniqueness to individual cities. Even though NBC ABC and Fox all replicate models across O&O's, each station has its own distinct feel. Fox 29's Mike Jerrik is uniquely Philly as Fox 5's Greg and Rosanna were uniquly New York. WNBC stands apart from WTVJ because of its use of Rockefeller Center and the christmas tree, ice skating rink and close residence with national NBC News. Not to mention the CBS local reporters (especially in NYC) don't stand out and just seem like transplants from different markets.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

As I said before CBS local's problem is that it feels like a generic corporate model duplicated across many cities with no uniqueness to individual cities. Even though NBC ABC and Fox all replicate models across O&O's, each station has its own distinct feel. Fox 29's Mike Jerrik is uniquely Philly as Fox 5's Greg and Rosanna were uniquly New York. WNBC stabds apart from WTVJ because if its use of Rockefeller Center and the christmas tree, ice skating rink and close residence with national NBC News. Not to mention the CBS local reporters (especially in NYC) don't stand out and just seem like transplants from different markets.

There’s a bit of personality at WCBS to be fair - Marcia Kramer certainly adds a local flavor but overall I tend to agree with you.

- WABC’s vibe is an unusual combo of familial and tabloid. As much as I dislike the increased opinion segments, visual mess, and Disney corporate synergy, it still feels like the default for me.  Coverage all across the Tri-State - they go all out, highest use of copters too.  

-WNBC is straight to the point but has the appeal of local-born talent and 30 Rock gravitas. Coverage is a little more focused on the boroughs, with a strong Jersey presence. Collaboration with WNJU reporters has been great, providing coverage into communities overlooked by everyone else. 

-WPIX targets straphangers and the NY1 demo. Used to have the Daily News connection which though diminished still feels present. 

-WNYW is a bit dull but I think has been targeting a tone similar to WABC’s tabloid/human interest take. At least they’re coming up with interesting branding like “The Noon”

-WCBS is just…there. It’s visually polished but the tone is wooden and really feels cookie-cutter. Editorially there’s an overemphasis on Westchester and Long Island. I feel like they were stronger when they could lean on the Always-On WCBS 880 / 1010 WINS synergy, but that’s faded. The reporters and anchors are all…fine? But the overall vibe is just generic and not targeted to the market. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, DMA said:

There’s a bit of personality at WCBS to be fair - Marcia Kramer certainly adds a local flavor but overall I tend to agree with you.

- WABC’s vibe is an unusual combo of familial and tabloid. As much as I dislike the increased opinion segments, visual mess, and Disney corporate synergy, it still feels like the default for me.  Coverage all across the Tri-State - they go all out, highest use of copters too.  

-WNBC is straight to the point but has the appeal of local-born talent and 30 Rock gravitas. Coverage is a little more focused on the boroughs, with a strong Jersey presence. Collaboration with WNJU reporters has been great, providing coverage into communities overlooked by everyone else. 

-WPIX targets straphangers and the NY1 demo. Used to have the Daily News connection which though diminished still feels present. 

-WNYW is a bit dull but I think has been targeting a tone similar to WABC’s tabloid/human interest take. At least they’re coming up with interesting branding like “The Noon”

-WCBS is just…there. It’s visually polished but the tone is wooden and really feels cookie-cutter. Editorially there’s an overemphasis on Westchester and Long Island. I feel like they were stronger when they could lean on the Always-On WCBS 880 / 1010 WINS synergy, but that’s faded. The reporters and anchors are all…fine? But the overall vibe is just generic and not targeted to the market. 

Funny, I also had Marcia Kramer (and John Elliott) in mind as the exception to the rule. I second your point about the emphasis on 2's Westchester & Long Island whereas PIX 11 & Fox 5 feel more borough oriented.

"CBS News New York Now on WLNY"  is a mouth full and doesnt roll off the tounge. CBS 2 News really bounced back from 2007 onwards after about 10 years of mess, but it seems like they're just going back down the same rabbit hole again. On the bright side, CBS 2 has the best set and video wall in the market.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, a great opportunity for Cindy, and it will be nice to see her back on weekdays! Definitely makes me wonder regarding who will take over the weekend AM newscasts. Perhaps Andrea Grymes, Natalie Duddridge or (if it was up to me) reunite Alice Gainer and Dick Brennan! Although no one really cared much about WLNY at 9pm, they made a great team!

• Like 2

I grew up watching Cindy every morning before school. She is an incredible talent and is loved by viewers. I'm very excited to see CBS 2 moving her back to weekday mornings.

(I will say that Cindy, while excellent, is even better with a co-anchor. She hasn't had one on the weekends since Covid, but she's been great paired with John Elliott, even though he's often on location. It would be great to see them move John with her back to weekdays but I doubt that will happen.)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kshow said:

Cindy Hsu will anchor the new 9 AM broadcast which debuts Sept 12th.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/cindy-hsu-named-anchor-of-wcbs-new-york-9-am-newscast 

Love Cindy, but feel Chris and Mary would’ve been better choices and better use of resources. They could’ve handed off the noon to Dana Tyler. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:35 PM, DMA said:

Spot on especially the points on WABC and WCBS. WABC is so tabloid, it’s bad in so many ways but they manage to still have the most authentic and solid product. There’s not a single weak personality on WABC, every single one of them is solid. Even Michelle Charlesworth whose presenting style is odd but still uniquely strong.

WCBS to me feels like something you could pick up and drop in any market around the country without even noticing a difference. Their newscasts are the definition of “corporate.”

• Like 6

On 7/22/2022 at 5:52 PM, iron_lion said:

Funny, I also had Marcia Kramer (and John Elliott) in mind as the exception to the rule. I second your point about the emphasis on 2's Westchester & Long Island whereas PIX 11 & Fox 5 feel more borough oriented.

"CBS News New York Now on WLNY"  is a mouth full and doesnt roll off the tounge. CBS 2 News really bounced back from 2007 onwards after about 10 years of mess, but it seems like they're just going back down the same rabbit hole again. On the bright side, CBS 2 has the best set and video wall in the market.

It’s a shame they relegated John Elliott to weekends. He actually brought some gravitas to the morning show that was (and is) sort of lacking. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got nothing against Chris, Mary, and Elise, but they would be just as serviceable in any other time slot given how generic WCBS is these days.

As for “CBS News New York Now,” WLNY isn’t even acknowledged in the title, and the bulk of the newscast is just called “Now.” Keep in mind, this is a cheap revenue generator disguised as a local newscast, and it’s not meant to be competitive or local. The title’s a mouthful, but it’s not like anyone’s watching.

Finally, a set and video wall do not a good newscast make. In general, CBS stations in their comparatively smaller markets (Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Baltimore) tend to perform better than their larger sister stations due to having consistency, personality, and recognizable faces. Their larger stations have slick presentation, but there is absolutely nothing notable or original about their newscasts. And the ratings prove it.

Here’s hoping the new 9am hour with Cindy changes that perception. She’s well-deserving of the promotion given what she’s been through, and it looks like she’ll be bringing some originality to the 9am hour.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Incomplete
  • Like 3

As much as as I like Elise Finch, John Elliott definitely brought something to the morning show pre-2019 that is currently lacking. Not to mention that John seems to have quite a following (remember all the random people who suddenly asked what happened to him and sounded off about it). Removing him likely decreased their ratings in the AM (i'd be curious to see ratings before 2019 and after). Dropping traffic was also a cheap move that although not absolutely necessary makes them not a great contender compared to literally every other station that provides that info. Hearing that Katie McGee filled in on WABC recently was interesting, it would be cool for WCBS to get her back to do traffic. Even Jill Nicolini seems to be no longer with PIX even on a fill in basis, so she might be another option if they really wanted to go that route. I find that the evenings with Kristine/Maurice/Dana/Lonnie/Otis are much more solid and stable.

• Like 2

I do like the corporate, polished look of the WCBS news.  I like Maurice Dubois and Kristine Johnson together.    I find it very professional. 

I like WABC Eyewitness News too,  but I find the blue lower third a little too big.   I prefer the Chicago ABC 7 look.  Thinner and sleeker. 

One thing that bugs me from the WNBC News is the see through table.   A desk would be nicer.   I am not a fan of seeing the anchors' knees when they are sitting.    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/11/2022 at 9:40 AM, TVNewsLover said:

Love Cindy, but feel Chris and Mary would’ve been better choices and better use of resources. They could’ve handed off the noon to Dana Tyler. 

I love Cindy on weekends against Pat Battle and Michelle Charlesworth. I dont necessarily think a 9am newscast is the best thing for WCBS, but I think the most sensible option would be to have Cindy do 9 AM and Noon, to relieve some of the hours off of Chris and Mary (working pre 4am to about 1pm). 

What happens now, Drew Barrymore sliced to a half hour or Hot Bench at 9:30?

On 8/11/2022 at 3:45 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

As much as as I like Elise Finch, John Elliott definitely brought something to the morning show pre-2019 that is currently lacking. Not to mention that John seems to have quite a following (remember all the random people who suddenly asked what happened to him and sounded off about it). Removing him likely decreased their ratings in the AM (i'd be curious to see ratings before 2019 and after). Dropping traffic was also a cheap move that although not absolutely necessary makes them not a great contender compared to literally every other station that provides that info. Hearing that Katie McGee filled in on WABC recently was interesting, it would be cool for WCBS to get her back to do traffic. Even Jill Nicolini seems to be no longer with PIX even on a fill in basis, so she might be another option if they really wanted to go that route. I find that the evenings with Kristine/Maurice/Dana/Lonnie/Otis are much more solid and stable.

Elise is more suited for a serious nighttime newscast. John Elliot has the personality of an essentric/lively morning weather person a la Al Roker, Bill Evans, Linda Church, Willard Scott, Ira Joe Fisher, etc.. it was literally nonsensical to remove him from the newscast. What was the reasoning, to follow the mostly female anchor trend in the mornings?

CBS has the look, all they need is just some more lively talent and locally authentic newscasts. Fox 5 and Pix 11 are really good at feeling like really local NYC stations. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

What happens now, Drew Barrymore sliced to a half an hour or just a half hour or Hot Bench at 9:30?

It was revealed a few months ago that Drew Barrymore will be reformatted into two half-hour segments to make room for the 9AM newscasts on CBS O&Os.

The first airing would be a lead out from those 9AM newscasts, while the second airing would air later in the day or on duopoly stations.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, ddaniels20 said:

It was revealed a few months ago that Drew Barrymore will be reformatted into two half-hour segments to make room for the 9AM newscasts on CBS O&Os.

The first airing would be a lead out from those 9AM newscasts, while the second airing would air later in the day or on duopoly stations.

Im surprised they wont just cancel her already. As far as I've read Hot Bench was a decent preformer in the ratings, yet they moved it to experiment with Drew Barrymore. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Andrea Grymes, who used to anchor weekend mornings with Cindy Hsu until the pandemic, was back as a co-anchor this morning on Cindy's last weekend broadcast. As Cindy moves back to weekdays starting next Monday, September 12th (the graphic says "CBS 2 News at 9:00AM" so maybe the name change is still some time away?), Andrea will be returning to the anchor chair on weekend mornings.

Much of the 8:00 hour this morning was about Cindy. They brought back familiar guests from restaurants to be in the studio for the first time since the pandemic began and even the "Furry Friend Finder" was back. (I'm curious to see if these segments return permanently, or if this was a one-day Cindy special.)

Screenshot (17806).png

Screenshot (17799).png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

Andrea Grymes, who used to anchor weekend mornings with Cindy Hsu until the pandemic, was back as a co-anchor this morning on Cindy's last weekend broadcast. As Cindy moves back to weekdays starting next Monday, September 12th (the graphic says "CBS 2 News at 9:00AM" so maybe the name change is still some time away?), Andrea will be returning to the anchor chair on weekend mornings.

Much of the 8:00 hour this morning was about Cindy. They brought back familiar guests from restaurants to be in the studio for the first time since the pandemic began and even the "Furry Friend Finder" was back. (I'm curious to see if these segments return permanently, or if this was a one-day Cindy special.)

Screenshot (17806).png

Screenshot (17799).png

Good to see Andrea back in the weekend anchor chair. She and Cindy made a great team. Also, I’d like some of that bread.

As for the graphics/name change, I wouldn’t be surprised if the new graphics launch September 12. Given that they’re still promoting it as “CBS2 News,” I guess they’ll be easing in the name change over the next few weeks. I’m surprised they aren’t launching it sooner, given that it’s CBS’ key station and that the branding change won’t be very drastic at all in this market.

• Like 1