WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

42 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I know some of you New York types don't like to venture outside your little tri-state bubble, but you might want to check this out. The "CBS News [City] Now" duopoly branding is going out to almost everyone, with KCAL as one notable exception.

Well, don’t paint us “New York types” with a broad brush. I’ve seen it and commented on it, as have numerous others. I think it’s been established that the CBS News (City) Now brand is being extended to the non-CBS stations (sans KCAL).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Colortini said:

That’s a big loss. I liked when she filled in on the anchor desk, too. Best of luck to her!

Agreed; I definitely see an anchor or network role for her in the future!

Additionally, despite the return of a more TV-friendly newscast, there's basically been no mention of 'WLNY TV 10/55' on the 9pm newscast since 2020 (aside from the bug) so I don't view 'CBS News New York Now' as that big of a downgrade. Maybe they'll return to the old CBSN studio?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Agreed; I definitely see an anchor or network role for her in the future!

Additionally, despite the return of a more TV-friendly newscast, there's basically been no mention of 'WLNY TV 10/55' on the 9pm newscast since 2020 (aside from the bug) so I don't view 'CBS News New York Now' as that big of a downgrade. Maybe they'll return to the old CBSN studio?

I’d be fascinated to see the daily viewership of WLNY. I don’t think it’s a station people really watch, unless you’re really into sitcom reruns and court shows. It doesn’t have a legacy that’s known throughout the market, and it’s precisely the kind of station where a “CBS News New York” newscast actually makes sense. I hope they don’t move back to the CBSN studio though, as that set looked extremely low-budget.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’d be fascinated to see the daily viewership of WLNY. I don’t think it’s a station people really watch, unless you’re really into sitcom reruns and court shows. It doesn’t have a legacy that’s known throughout the market, and it’s precisely the kind of station where a “CBS News New York” newscast actually makes sense. I hope they don’t move back to the CBSN studio though, as that set looked extremely low-budget.

Initially, when CBS first bought the station, CBS said they would strengthen 10/55's news department and compete with News 12 LI. https://www.newsday.com/business/cbs-inks-deal-to-buy-long-island-s-wlny-55-u08340 

However, outside of a short-lived morning show going up against GDNY and the Pix Morning News, 10/55 was sent to West 57th, where it's been ever since.

Some years later, it was alleged that 10/55 was bought by CBS so Peter Dunn could have membership access to a golf club.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-01-24/cbs-tv-station-deal-wlny-peter-dunn-sebonack

• Like 3

On 7/7/2022 at 6:12 PM, Geoffrey said:

I noticed a newer (new? I will admit I don't watch as closely as I used to) morning promo -- the one with the Chris, Mary and Elise talking to the camera in the studio -- just aired a few minutes ago, using a "CBS 2 News Mornings" logo at the end. But less than a half hour earlier, the version of the promo that has been airing for months had the "CBS 2 News This Morning" end page. Both times the announcer said "CBS 2 News This Morning," which is the current title of the newscast (and has been since around 2001).

image.png

Screenshot (14684).png

The station has used a "CBS 2 Mornings" (different font, no "News") graphic on the monitor array for months to more closely align with the network's "CBS Mornings" branding, but the newscast title has never been officially renamed.

Screenshot (14690).png

Rant time: I wish the station could change the branding all at once and not do this very slow rollout, if that's indeed what this is. And I also don't like the "CBS Mornings" title -- it sounds more like the way someone would refer to a daypart (CBS Daytime, CBS Primetime, CBS Mornings) and not a newscast title. 

I've said before, given CBS's history of a revolving door of morning shows, i'm not sure it makes sense to rebrand their local newscasts around a national morning show that may not see the end of the decade. 

Off-topic but, they should've just stuck with "CBS This Morning" as they already had it going for about 9 years. 

EDIT: the rebrand to be more aligned with CBS Sunday Morning could've just as easily been done with the og CTM branding. Agreed that "Mornings" sounds like a programming block more than an actual newscast title. The layman viewer probably just thinks of "Mornings" as The Gayle King Morning Show. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I'd also like to see the viewership of Ch. 9 - aka the family feud station.  I would suspect the news gives WLNY a slight edge on less least watched station.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, NowBergen said:

I'd also like to see the viewership of Ch. 9 - aka the family feud station.  I would suspect the news gives WLNY a slight edge on less least watched station.

Yes! i'm curious to see My 9's numbers. I wonder if later hour reruns of Fox 5 talk shows gives them a bump. For example, being able to see Wendy Williams at 4 o'clock because you're missed it at 10 AM.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Yes! i'm curious to see My 9's numbers. I wonder if later hour reruns of Fox 5 talk shows gives them a bump. For example, being able to see Wendy Williams at 4 o'clock because you're missed it at 10 AM.

I'm more curious as to how My9 is still a thing. I wonder if the upcoming changes to the 9pm news on 10/55 might actually lead to more news there.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, NYTV said:

I'm more curious as to how My9 is still a thing. I wonder if the upcoming changes to the 9pm news on 10/55 might actually lead to more news there.

I think Fox made that decision years ago.  I would not hold my breath.  They seem to be weathering the NJ Congressional criticism since they removed any news product on the station which violated the original Ch. 9 license conditions once RKO General had to give it up.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

as that set looked extremely low-budget.

It was CBS' first OTT Hyperlocal- and I'm sure it was an experiment to see if it would work. My guess would be since all signs point to CBS being all-in on this, that any new streaming-exclusive sets will be better in many respects.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:15 PM, iron_lion said:

The layman viewer probably just thinks of "Mornings" as The Gayle King Morning Show. 

This made my morning! I was beginning to think my couple weeks of calling it he Gayle King show on this board was only irritating people (probably was, but someone else called it the same!)

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

They seem to be weathering the NJ Congressional criticism

I think in hindsight, what Senators Booker and Menendez (et al) were doing by bringing WWOR's license into question was poor. Empty shell for WNYW? Yes. However, in the last decade where half-decent news accessibility is extremely important, an NY Newscast that at least covers news in your state when news happens is better than the syndication central that WWOR has become. FOX has proven to be reasonably dedicated to local content on their second fiddles- WFTC being a good example with a couple hours of news (actual newscasts- not just KMSP's repeats) and (pre Apple-TV deal) showing MN United Soccer games on nights Bally wasn't.

Now, Fox has the money and ability to do a NJ-central newscast- and they kind of did at one point. It can be a good flank to WNYW if done correctly (correctly = costs money). I think about what KBJR/KDLH did in Duluth for a while under Granite ownership with KBJR going more heavy on MN news/weather/sports and KDLH going more heavy on the Wisconsin side (Off topic, the irony here is that KDLH is licensed in MN, KBJR is licensed in WI). Then along comes a few sales of the station and as a result the more cookie-cutter newscast duopoly. Point is, a WWOR newscast need no be 100% NJ centered, just heavier on that side of the border than WNYW and others.

On 7/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

Agreed. I think a significant barrier to WLNY's success is the fact that it simply isn't available over the air in the majority of the market, including the five boroughs. Despite cable availability, it's not like, mentally a channel that exists to a lot of people, unlike KCBS/KCAL. If NYC ever gets ATSC 3.0 maybe WCBS could add a WLNY subchannel, but until then I can't really envision WLNY ever being competitive really. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.27.05.png

Edited by DMA
  • Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 5:55 PM, iron_lion said:

Once they lost most of their sports rights (Nets, Yankees, Giants simulcasts) and their newscasts, it was game over 

Edited by Yankees4life
  • Like 3

On 7/16/2022 at 7:57 AM, NowBergen said:

I think Fox made that decision years ago.  I would not hold my breath.  They seem to be weathering the NJ Congressional criticism since they removed any news product on the station which violated the original Ch. 9 license conditions once RKO General had to give it up.

To date, the only news programming on My9 is the Sunday "New Jersey Now" political show. At least with 10/55, CBS does have both the 9pm newscast and the weekly "Exit 10/55" political show. If FCC hadn't dispensed the "Main Studio" rule, that could've prevented the stations moving elsewhere

32 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Only caught the end of CBS News New York on WLNY, it appears from the credits, the newscast was done by KTXA and was not shown on CBS News New York.

What does that mean it was done by KTXA? A station from Texas?

2 hours ago, NYTV said:

To date, the only news programming on My9 is the Sunday "New Jersey Now" political show. At least with 10/55, CBS does have both the 9pm newscast and the weekly "Exit 10/55" political show. If FCC hadn't dispensed the "Main Studio" rule, that could've prevented the stations moving elsewhere

Exit 10/55 hasn’t aired since Richard Rose retired and moved to the Philippines in 2018.

• Like 1

I tried tuning in from CBS News New York (which is in the newscast name, mind you) and couldn't obtain the feed. And to hear it was not even produced in New York with the local anchors? It seems like they're trying to make it a standardized national newscast for local news. After I typed that sentence, I even realized how wrong that sounds. 

Edited by NYNewsCoverage
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, NYNews said:

What does that mean it was done by KTXA? A station from Texas?

FX_2DFCWYAEvcbj.thumb.jpg.fc6707d25f03bbc9eeebc74ef1735036.jpg

Yes, KTXA produced the newscast which was shown on WLNY and other sister CBS stations. This means there is no CBS2 produced newscast on WLNY at 9pm.

Edited by IceManNYR
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, froyo49 said:

Sounds like they're trying to replicate Sinclair's News Central. Hmm... maybe News Central was two decades ahead of its time, now that a major network is copying them

Didn't CBS do a "News Central" at its LA duop some time back?