WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

WCBS has been very strong in times of breaking news and weather events.

They did not hesitate to move UEFA to WLNY to take this afternoon's press conference. Lately, they have really been harnessing the power of their two broadcast outlets.

1 hour ago, civic110 said:

WCBS has been very strong in times of breaking news and weather events.

They did not hesitate to move UEFA to WLNY to take this afternoon's press conference. Lately, they have really been harnessing the power of their two broadcast outlets.

Surprised they did that, given that they pre-empted their regular programming to show that. I already had no idea why they take off their regular programming to show soccer in the middle of the day on a weekday.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like Kristine was in a remote studio today for the 5PM news. Wonder if she tested positive or was around someone who tested positive? They did a good job at mimic-ing the set in her background.

50 minutes ago, kshow said:

Seems like Kristine was in a remote studio today for the 5PM news. Wonder if she tested positive or was around someone who tested positive? They did a good job at mimic-ing the set in her background.

Yeah I noticed that as well; she's still in the remote studio for the 11PM. I noticed that they also went back (once again) to social distancing protocols at the desk as of last week sometime.

• Like 1

The anchors (both this morning and evening) are on the set but have gone back to social distancing since the NY Covid Alert Level has gone to Medium. The forecasts will come from the green screen and Otis is doing sports remotely from home.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:10 AM, abric said:

Otis is doing sports remotely from home.

Otis announced last week that he tested positive after having avoiding Covid for over two years:

https://www.facebook.com/otis.livingston/posts/1626493131058374?__cft__[0]=AZWUeZ8EBuG_GuE_JVF-7rUlh8L35Bt4GmvK05BK0rfYcKZwzyPdqqprLvKPEstorZPGU-vj4egOcHVND1btvGObf9Y01e9ABCZcY4dIi_6NTy7hMxcEFhVWgsKmDe59gOY&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

On 2/5/2022 at 2:33 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Don't know if this is a permanent change; but noticed that CBS2 News Saturday Morning aired this morning from 9-11AM; as opposed to 6-7AM and 9-10AM. It appears to be permanent in the guides.

Apparently since February 5th is when I first noticed it

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed yesterday that following PGA, which was scheduled to end at 7:00 (but ran until about 7:25), WCBS scheduled a 7:00 newscast and Inside Edition Weekend, instead of the usual Entertainment Tonight Weekend for the full hour. This is what KYW always does when CBS has a sporting event scheduled until 7:00 that pre-empts the 6:00 news, but this is only the first time I've seen WCBS do this. And like KYW, WCBS runs this 7:00 newscast for a full half hour even if the sporting events runs long, then joins IE in progress if there's time left, which I don't believe there was last night. Is KTVT the only O&O that truncates its 6:00/7:00 post-sports newscasts if there's overrun, rather than running it in its entirety and JIP'ing programming afterwards?

Edited by WheelWarrior

^ That 7:00 newscast must have been a fluke or maybe a trial for a potential permanent 7:00 newscast next fall when college football starts. CBS once again had PGA scheduled until 7:00 today, but this time WCBS ran "New York by Design", a localized version of "America by Design", a program syndicated to some of the CBS O&O's. Just like what KYW does with its 7:00 news, WCBS ran NYBD in its entirety following PGA overrun then JIP'd Inside Edition shortly after 7:30. Listings for next Saturday also show NYBD at 7:00.

Edited by WheelWarrior

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Very weird on a Sunday evening.. Maurice and Kristine on the news at 6:30.

It is weird, I thought they all just back from vacation.  I switched to KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh shortly afterwards to see if they were doing the same and they have Reporter Erika Stanish anchoring (former KOKH-TV reporter, before that she was a WJAC Weekend anchor). Mary Ours (was with WJAC with Erika) (Pulling double duty today) , and Sports Director Bob Pompeani.

KOKI Screenshot 2022-06-12 18-32-12.png

KOKI Screenshot 2022-06-12 18-32-39.png

KOKI Screenshot 2022-06-12 18-32-46.png

KOKI Screenshot 2022-06-12 18-43-26.png

KOKI Screenshot 2022-06-12 18-49-24.png

KOKI Screenshot 2022-06-12 18-55-28.png

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

It's pretty common for them to bring in the 'A' team during award shows (tonys, emmys, grammys). I was surprised they stuck with Jessica/Vanessa during the grammys recently and added in Dick Brennan instead of Maurice/Kristine/Lonnie/Otis, but it could have just been vacation time/availability issues

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Reporter Dan Rice offered a small peek of Chopper 2's new paint job: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfuXtkDO6S7/

The other side of Chopper 2 got the Sky Fox branding as CBS 2 and Fox 5 share the helicopter.

(Discussion as to whether this previews the upcoming CBS O&O graphics should be kept on this thread.)

• Like 1

I noticed a newer (new? I will admit I don't watch as closely as I used to) morning promo -- the one with the Chris, Mary and Elise talking to the camera in the studio -- just aired a few minutes ago, using a "CBS 2 News Mornings" logo at the end. But less than a half hour earlier, the version of the promo that has been airing for months had the "CBS 2 News This Morning" end page. Both times the announcer said "CBS 2 News This Morning," which is the current title of the newscast (and has been since around 2001).

image.png

Screenshot (14684).png

The station has used a "CBS 2 Mornings" (different font, no "News") graphic on the monitor array for months to more closely align with the network's "CBS Mornings" branding, but the newscast title has never been officially renamed.

Screenshot (14690).png

Rant time: I wish the station could change the branding all at once and not do this very slow rollout, if that's indeed what this is. And I also don't like the "CBS Mornings" title -- it sounds more like the way someone would refer to a daypart (CBS Daytime, CBS Primetime, CBS Mornings) and not a newscast title. 

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 1

I know some of you New York types don't like to venture outside your little tri-state bubble, but you might want to check this out. The "CBS News [City] Now" duopoly branding is going out to almost everyone, with KCAL as one notable exception.

• Like 2