WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

20 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Ice storm Friday morning.  It’s not unusual for stations to start morning newscasts earlier when there is potential for severe weather. It’s not the first time. It’s not the last.  I would not jump to any other conclusions.  

Jumped the gun. From the quote below I inferred that the earlier time slot would coincide with the possible new name.

The question remains though. As many stations across the country are adopting earlier start times it leads me to wonder where the AM. personal stand on this. But that's probably best for the speculation thread.

21 hours ago, kshow said:

Was watching CBS Mornings this morning, and on the ticker they stated 'CBS 2 Mornings' will be airing at 4AM on Friday.' - they must be slowly making the change to a new name. 

On 2/5/2022 at 2:33 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Don't know if this is a permanent change; but noticed that CBS2 News Saturday Morning aired this morning from 9-11AM; as opposed to 6-7AM and 9-10AM. It appears to be permanent in the guides.

Perhaps that could be due to daytime CBS Sports commitments, because I believe they air the E/I Dream Team stuff between 5-6am

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 9:22 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

WCBS is back to the non-social distancing setup as of this morning

I always wonder about the social distancing set ups that they do on the news. I know it's to set an example but do they actually do that off-camera? For example, do they not interact within less than 6 ft of each other in employee areas,  and do people socially distance in the newsroom?

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, j.wer said:

Has Andrea Grymes been removed as weekend co host, even though her bio still lists weekend anchoring duty

It seems she hasn't been weekend anchoring since before the Covid started.

23 minutes ago, sg9018 said:

It seems she hasn't been weekend anchoring since before the Covid started.

I think she was on maternity then. But she never returned to anchoring regularly, and doesn't seem to fill in as often as Natalie Duddrige or even Ali Bauman do these days.

Edited by MisterBill

On 3/13/2022 at 4:14 PM, Colortini said:

I always thought she was good paired with Cindy. Anyone is good when paired with Cindy, though. I hate that John was moved to weekends but again, they work well together so I guess I can’t complain. 🙂 

John is actually good on weekend morning I think he’ll have a better time to shine there, without the busyness of the mornings. I do think Elise Finch deserved a promotion, but I think this gonna be her last stop, cause if ever Lonnie Quinn retires which won’t happen for a long time they’re gonna hire someone for out-of-market.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 11:58 PM, Gavin M. said:

John is actually good on weekend morning I think he’ll have a better time to shine there, without the busyness of the mornings. I do think Elise Finch deserved a promotion, but I think this gonna be her last stop, cause if ever Lonnie Quinn retires which won’t happen for a long time they’re gonna hire someone for out-of-market.

John got screwed when he was moved to weekends, he posted at once point that it was not his choice. As for Elise, she's bland, as is the entire weekday morning show.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2022 at 1:47 AM, MisterBill said:

John got screwed when he was moved to weekends, he posted at once point that it was not his choice. As for Elise, she's bland, as is the entire weekday morning show.

John has the quintessential personality for morning tv. Elise is more fitting for an evening newscast. 

It is rather bland. Modern CBS O&O newscasts don't feel authentically like the cities they broadcast to. It just feels like a cooperate model duplicated in multiple markets (even though any o&o station on another network fits that exact definition). Fox 5 when Greg & Ro were on GDNY and Street Soldiers, WNBC with the whole 4 NY campaign and especially Eyewitness News feels more "New York" so to speak. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4

For the past few nights this week, the "WLNY News at 9" has had an open.

The anchors tell what stories are coming up, weather, and sports and then the open for "CBS2 News at 9." 

The WLNY 10/55 bug is used during the newscast. I just find it weird that they really just produce at 30 minute newscast, and repeat it at 9:30, but I guess there's not that much viewership. Couldn't they just move it to 10pm to compete?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iron_lion said:

John has the quintissential personality for morning tv. Elise is more fitting for an evening newscast. 

It probably also doesn't help that they haven't added a traffic reporter. John and Alex Denis used to be a great combination.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

It probably also doesn't help that they haven't added a traffic reporter. John and Alex Denis used to be a great combination.

I agree.. they really don’t have anyone that brings the “wow” factor to the show. WNBC people seem to like Darlene and Michael.. GDNY has a good team especially later on..I do wish they’d give Dan a co-anchor 4:30-6..  WABC people will always stick with.. as they do have a really good morning team.. and PIX has been picking up some big names lately and really improving the show. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nynewslover said:

I agree.. they really don’t have anyone that brings the “wow” factor to the show. WNBC people seem to like Darlene and Michael.. GDNY has a good team especially later on..I do wish they’d give Dan a co-anchor 4:30-6..  WABC people will always stick with.. as they do have a really good morning team.. and PIX has been picking up some big names lately and really improving the show. 

All of the stations minus WABC have had pretty substantial turnover when it comes to reporters, but it probably doesn't help that there are a lot of unfamiliar reporter faces at WCBS. When it comes to anchors though, Maurice, Kristine, and Lonnie are a pretty solid team however. It would be nice if Don Dhaler anchored with Dana Tyler at 6. 

On 3/18/2022 at 11:15 PM, MisterBill said:

They do have a traffic reporter in Guy Staniar, but he doesn't appear on camera. Since the pandemic, WCBS hasn't had an on-camera traffic person. Natalie Duddridge was the last one before things closed down.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:34 AM, iron_lion said:

All of the stations minus WABC have had pretty substantial turnover when it comes to reporters, but it probably doesn't help that there are a lot of unfamiliar reporter faces at WCBS. When it comes to anchors though, Maurice, Kristine, and Lonnie are a pretty solid team however. It would be nice if Don Dhaler anchored with Dana Tyler at 6. 

or Dick Brennan who's already on their roster. Dana and Dick anchored at 5 today. They should split it Maurice/Kristine 5 and 11 and Dana/Dick 6 and 9pm (which only totals to 1 hour given the 9 stays a half hour).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

or Dick Brennan who's already on their roster. Dana and Dick anchored at 5 today. They should split it Maurice/Kristine 5 and 11 and Dana/Dick 6 and 9pm (which only totals to 1 hour given the 9 stays a half hour).

Dick Brennan is who I ment to say, I confuse the names at times.

The split is a good idea...or I would put them at noon & 6 to cut down on the morning crew being there from after about 3 am.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Dick Brennan is who I ment to say, I confuse the names at times.

The split is a good idea...or I would put them at noon & 6 to cut down on the morning crew being there from after about 3 am.

Well, there are rumors that the O&Os will have a newscast at 9am, so they could extend the AM crew to 9am and perhaps have a new team at 12

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...