WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

50 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

So does anyone actually know how bad/ what exactly is going on at WCBS? News12 Long Island/ Hudson Valley got sent home because there was a case in the newsroom. NJ/ Connecticut took over this morning. Tonight they’re back on air in the building. 24hours as opposed to weeks. 

Parts of the CBS Broadcast Center still remain closed so there is limited operations still ongoing for CBSN and for WCBS-TV. There are select hours for the national CBSN feed at 10am ET with Anne Marie Green and Vladimir Duthiers and 1pm for Teena Ninan. Other times CBSN Boston handles the daytime that isn't covered by breaking news. As for WCBS-TV, they would have someone in the temporary studio and someone at home (5om had Maurice Dubois from home and 6pm with Dana Tyler and both had Kristine Johnson back at HQ)

Edited by NYTV

No studio use this morning. Chris and Mary are both anchoring from their homes.

John is doing weather via the Mobile Weather Lab in Essex County, NJ.

The odd thing is Mary anchors one block, then after commercials, Chris does the next block.

Not sure why they can't co-anchor?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

No studio use this morning. Chris and Mary are both anchoring from their homes.

John is doing weather via the Mobile Weather Lab in Essex County, NJ.

The odd thing is Mary anchors one block, then after commercials, Chris does the next block.

Not sure why they can't co-anchor?

They shouldn't be on the same IFB Channels, in theory they should be able to hear each other. Unless they are using some sort of app - like Unity.
It could be to minimalize any shot delays / awkward chat, so the other can look ahead at scripts.
Things just work better when there's less going on.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, who?cares said:

They shouldn't be on the same IFB Channels, in theory they should be able to hear each other. Unless they are using some sort of app - like Unity.
It could be to minimalize any shot delays / awkward chat, so the other can look ahead at scripts.
Things just work better when there's less going on.  

Thanks, I understand it's most important they are doing the broadcasts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How long are some of these morning news anchor shifts? I've been seeing Mary Calvi introduce the Phil Murphy press briefings during Y&R at 1 pm. Being that AM anchors shift would start prior to 4:30 a.m. , I would have assumed that they'd be off work by now.

Edited by iron_lion

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

How long are some of these morning news anchor shifts? I've been seeing Mary Calvi introduce the Phil Murphy press briefings during Y&R at 1 pm. Being that AM anchors shift would start prior to 4:30 a.m. , I would have assumed that they'd be off work by now.

I’ve seen Mary at the studio as late as after 4pm some days. I presume she has a break somewhere in the afternoon. 

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

During this COVID period, I’ve seen both the weeknight anchors and morning anchors introduce conferences in the 1pm hour at KYW. The switchoff must be during that hour. Not sure about WCBS, but KYW’s 4pm anchors have been out in the field reporting during the COVID period. The 5/6/11pm anchors usually rotate solo anchoring all those shows including the 4pm.

22 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

During this COVID period, I’ve seen both the weeknight anchors and morning anchors introduce conferences in the 1pm hour at KYW. The switchoff must be during that hour. Not sure about WCBS, but KYW’s 4pm anchors have been out in the field reporting during the COVID period. The 5/6/11pm anchors usually rotate solo anchoring all those shows including the 4pm.

Maurice and Kristine alternate anchoring from the studio for the 5 and 11pm newscasts. The other anchor broadcasts from home. At 6 Dana Tyler broadcasts from home and either Maurice or Kristine broadcasts from the studio.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's truly insane to me (as someone who is very much on the side of COVID precautions) that WCBS has seemingly cancelled the noon under the guise of COVID restrictions. Seems like Judge Judy and Insider is here to stay. WNBC is operating normally / partially remotely, as is WABC. If they wanted to produce the noon responsibly, they could have.

If the justification is the frequent Cuomo/Murphy fireside chats, it looks like today was the first day that WABC opted not to broadcast it live, so that excuse is now out of the way. 

Edited by DMA

2 hours ago, DMA said:

It's truly insane to me (as someone who is very much on the side of COVID precautions) that WCBS has seemingly cancelled the noon under the guise of COVID restrictions. Seems like Judge Judy and Insider is here to stay. WNBC is operating normally / partially remotely, as is WABC. If they wanted to produce the noon responsibly, they could have.

If the justification is the frequent Cuomo/Murphy fireside chats, it looks like today was the first day that WABC opted not to broadcast it live, so that excuse is now out of the way. 

I would think WCBS would want to take advantage of TPIR’s lead-in. Is TPIR not dominating its timeslot the way it used to? Even in the darkest days for WCBS and CBS affiliates, wasn’t the noon broadcast the one they could count on to be competitive? 

1 hour ago, newscopter7 said:

I would think WCBS would want to take advantage of TPIR’s lead-in. Is TPIR not dominating its timeslot the way it used to? Even in the darkest days for WCBS and CBS affiliates, wasn’t the noon broadcast the one they could count on to be competitive? 

The View is certainly outrating Price in a lot of markets. NYC is one of them.

I'd be curious to know how Price does nationally against The View.

Edited by Georgie56

27 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

The View is certainly outrating Price in a lot of markets. NYC is one of them.

I'd be curious to know how Price does nationally against The View.

It's from a soap site, but here's the Live+7 for mid May.TVrank_0511_05152020_tvratings-3.png

38 minutes ago, FmrENCNewser said:

It's from a soap site, but here's the Live+7 for mid May.TVrank_0511_05152020_tvratings-3.png

Price is Right, to my knowledge, has ranked in the Top 5 overall among daytime shows for years. Great to see Let's Make a Deal in the Top 5 as well. Note that the Roman numerals I and II are there because CBS counts them as two separate half-hours for ratings purposes (a practice that I think dates back to when Price expanded to an hour in 1975, as it was a half-hour show before that).

This alone shows why we need an extra game show or two on a network in daytime. But maybe that's just me......

On 6/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, DMA said:

According to Zap2it's advanced listings, the noon news is slated to return next Wednesday.

• Like 1

Maurice and Kristine are back in the main studio for the 5pm newscast; they are 6' apart across the desk.

Lonnie is still in the barn with the weather.

The listings indicate the noon newscast is back on Wednesday, so I wonder if that holds now that the main studio is up and running again.

29 minutes ago, civic110 said:

Maurice and Kristine are back in the main studio for the 5pm newscast; they are 6' apart across the desk.

Lonnie is still in the barn with the weather.

The listings indicate the noon newscast is back on Wednesday, so I wonder if that holds now that the main studio is up and running again.

CBS This Morning returned to the Broadcast Center this morning, too, so they must've gotten some kind of okay over the weekend.

Starting back in February, the NYC studios began producing a 10pm show for CW-affiliate WUPA in Atlanta. Since the shutdown, WUPA has been broadcasting WBZ's 10pm show- Boston stories, Boston weather, in Atlanta. No other O&O with a news department has been tasked with producing the show. They're not airing CBSN. They're just airing an entirely Boston-focused broadcast in Atlanta for almost 3 months now. I don't know if this falls on the shoulders of WCBS, CBS News management, or CBS O&O management, but it's really... not a good look.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1