WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

5 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Also to add to your update: WBZ is still technically taking over CBSN New York and CBSN. 

UPDATE:  Demarco Morgan- KCBS-LA  doing newscasts today 5,6 & 11 this evening for WCBS TV & CBSN New York...

CBS News President issued an email earlier today that out of abundance of caution, they will not be returning to the Broadcast Center.  CBSTM will be using Colbert's set at the Ed Sullivan Theater.  I suspect CBS is scrambling to find studio space to move to.  Could they convert a studio at MTV?  Or a rental studio?  Not a lot of options.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-news-film-morning-show-late-shows-ed-sullivan-theater-1285179?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=CBS+News+Moves+Production+Of+Morning+Show&utm_campaign=CBS+Could+See+%24350M+Ad+Hit+On+Canceled+NCAA

3 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

CBS News President issued an email earlier today that out of abundance of caution, they will not be returning to the Broadcast Center.  CBSTM will be using Colbert's set at the Ed Sullivan Theater.  I suspect CBS is scrambling to find studio space to move to.  Could they convert a studio at MTV?  Or a rental studio?  Not a lot of options.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-news-film-morning-show-late-shows-ed-sullivan-theater-1285179?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=CBS+News+Moves+Production+Of+Morning+Show&utm_campaign=CBS+Could+See+%24350M+Ad+Hit+On+Canceled+NCAA

Daily Show is definitely another possibility now that they're dark.

2 hours ago, NowBergen said:

By now, whatever trace of the COVID-19 virus circulating in the air or on surfaces at CBS Broadcast Center would be long dead by now.    If this drags on for more than a couple more days I'm going to say CBS is overreacting.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

By now, whatever trace of the COVID-19 virus circulating in the air or on surfaces at CBS Broadcast Center would be long dead by now.    If this drags on for more than a couple more days I'm going to say CBS is overreacting.

they must know something we don’t, to shut down operation... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

They're on the sidewalk tonight, is the struggle that critical 🤣

I mean...they're not allowed in the building. What do you want them to do, another LA show?

I'm guessing there may be are labor reasons why CTM can go to the Ed Sullivan Theater and WCBS (or Last Week Tonight or whatever's still in the building) couldn't go to...say, the 60 Minutes building across the street. Or the Daily Show set which isn't far away from the Broadcast Center. Or what was the TRL space in Times Square. Honestly, I don't see a big reason why WCBS also couldn't also do the Sullivan theater unless they're really trying to adhere to this distancing--and if that's the reason, I can't totally blame them.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 1

It was a joke on the irony of the situation. There was so much controversy here surrounding studio choice and outsourcing their newscasts only to have the broadcast ultimately end up on the sidewalk. It's humoros to see how the crisis has forced big network broadcasts to improve by filming from the simplest of locations. Ultimately they got on the air and that's what counts.

Edited by iron_lion

Again, not understanding why they haven’t been anchoring from the sidewalk, another facility, a park, an empty Grand Central, empty studio space elsewhere, their apartments — literally anywhere in Manhattan — all along. I’m still not sure why anchors in Los Angeles need to anchor while WCBS is still able to get local reports on air.  

Either someone at CBS is stepping in and making this overly complicated, or WCBS is just not prepared for loss of studio. 

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

Again, not understanding why they haven’t been anchoring from the sidewalk, another facility, a park, an empty Grand Central, empty studio space elsewhere, their apartments — literally anywhere in Manhattan — all along. I’m still not sure why anchors in Los Angeles need to anchor while WCBS is still able to get local reports on air.  

Either someone at CBS is stepping in and making this overly complicated, or WCBS is just not prepared for loss of studio. 

Ahem.. If WCBS didn't get rid of the WLNY Studio in Riverhead.. None of this nonsense would be happening. Riverhead to Manhattan is nothing less than 90 minutes.  It's good to see other talent from the LA O&O helping out WCBS.

Edited by Spintech33

8 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Ahem.. If WCBS didn't get rid of the WLNY Studio in Riverhead.. None of this nonsense would be happening. Riverhead to Manhattan is nothing less than 90 minutes.  It's good to see other talent from the LA O&O helping out WCBS.

Lots of "if only's" which won't help the current situation..  I also suspect the issue may be more than studio space since the building itself is closed down.  The question is what are the current options CBS has, and what they will do short term, and perhaps long term.  At the end of the day, does the typical viewer get the local information they need, including local weather and what little sports news there is?  That is CBS's primary objective.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

The KCBS anchor who was there this morning is Hermela Aregawi.

This isn't normal times, we're in a state of emergency. May I remind you the entire CBS Broadcast Center is closed meaning the CBS network is controlled by LA, CBS News is controlled by DC & LA, and all shows productions (local, network, and syndicated) is stalled in that building. "In times like these, we need each other. We must bond together in spirit and in service."

Edited by RGSJenkins
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RGSJenkins said:

The KCBS anchor who was there this morning is Hermela Aregawi.

This isn't normal times, we're in a state of emergency. May I remind you the entire CBS Broadcast Center is closed meaning the CBS network is controlled by LA, CBS News is controlled by DC & LA, and all shows productions (local, network, and syndicated) is stalled in that building. "In times like these, we need each other. We must bond together in spirit and in service."

Too add on this: CBSN Boston is also producing CBSN programming in addition to DC & LA..

26 minutes ago, kshow said:

Looks like CBS2 just got a new temporary studio, thanks to YES Network In Stamford, CT. 

I'm very pleased CBS was able to find a temporary home for WCBS till the CBS Broadcast Center can safely reopen.  Yes Network set looks very nice I must say.

• Like 3