WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

Wish I'd have caught this Live. Its always interesting when the newscasts are forced to improvise in situations like this, to keep the show going. You almost counldn't tell the difference as the LA studio looks almost (if not) exactly the same as New York's.

Edited by iron_lion

While the CBSNNY feeds on the website and the CBS app were still showing the temporary CBSN feeds, I was able to stream the KCBS produced WCBS 5pm and 6pm shows yesterday here - https://newyork.cbslocal.com/live/channel/wcbs-live-311/

Unfortunate circumstances, but it’s pretty incredible to watch them pull this all off.

I'm a bit surprised that KYW hasn't help out it's neighbors down the turnpike meanwhile WBZ and KCBS are doing a great job with the coverage.

Very interesting watching the CBSN Boston most of the day yesterday in NYC.

Day 2- CBSN New York via CBSN Boston..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

I'm a bit surprised that KYW hasn't help out it's neighbors down the turnpike meanwhile WBZ and KCBS are doing a great job with the coverage.

Very interesting watching the CBSN Boston most of the day yesterday in NYC.

Day 2- CBSN New York via CBSN Boston..

The. issue is studio space and timing.  KYW, WJZ, WBZ, WBBM etc. all broadcast news at the same time as WCBS.  It made more sense to move it to KCBS.  KCBS probably has more network capabilities too,  so all the throws to local reporters in the fields, weather etc. were seamless.  It's no different than if  the CBS Evening News originated from LA.  The systems probably are in place.  Although many groan about the standardized look of many CBS and NBC O&O's, to the casual viewer you would not have known that the broadcast originated in LA.   NBC has other options - in the past they have used CNBC's HQ in Englewood Cliffs, or Telemundo 47 in Fort Lee when 30 Rock has had an issue that prevented the use of the studio.  They also have SNY as an option too as NBCSports is a part owner.  CBS does not have those options as they are clustered on W57th street.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

The. issue is studio space and timing.  KYW, WJZ, WBZ, WBBM etc. all broadcast news at the same time as WCBS.  It made more sense to move it to KCBS.  KCBS probably has more network capabilities too,  so all the throws to local reporters in the fields, weather etc. were seamless.  It's no different than if  the CBS Evening News originated from LA.  The systems probably are in place.  Although many groan about the standardized look of many CBS and NBC O&O's, to the casual viewer you would not have known that the broadcast originated in LA.   NBC has other options - in the past they have used CNBC's HQ in Englewood Cliffs, or Telemundo 47 in Fort Lee when 30 Rock has had an issue that prevented the use of the studio.  They also have SNY as an option too as NBCSports is a part owner.  CBS does not have those options as they are clustered on W57th street.  

I keep forgetting that 52nd and 6th is only for WCBS Newsradio 880.

I thought at one time or another there was some actual studio space in that building.

You make a good point with the rest of the East Coast O&O's. Yes, LA is the perfect choice. I'd rather them than Boston to produce the CBSN programming. However, from a viewer's perspective its nice watching CBSN Boston during the day and the KCBS produced WCBS newscasts. Just only wished WCBS had more options in regards to addition contingency plans within New York City.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

I keep forgetting that 52nd and 6th is only for WCBS Newsradio 880.

I thought at one time or another there was some actual studio space in that building.

You make a good point with the rest of the East Coast O&O's. Yes, LA is the perfect choice. I'd rather them than Boston to produce the CBSN programming. However, from a viewer's perspective its nice watching CBSN Boston during the day and the KCBS produced WCBS newscasts. Just only wished WCBS had more options in regards to addition contingency plans within New York City.

WCBS Newsradio is no longer part of the CBS family - all CBS radio stations were sold years ago

14 minutes ago, dabx said:

WCBS Newsradio is no longer part of the CBS family - all CBS radio stations were sold years ago

Ever since all of CBS Radio stations were merged into Entercom in 2017, CBS owns about 72% of its stock, which makes them part of the CBS family, kind of

Edited by SPerez

2 minutes ago, DENDude said:

Curious as to why, maybe WJZ or WBZ isn't taking over WCBS's news broadcasts they are closer to New York.   Is it because KCBS is a bigger news operation?

Hard to put on a show for another station if you're trying to put your own show on the air. It's not impossible, but KCBS can probably produce a higher quality show for WCBS because of the time difference.

4 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Doesn’t CBS still have the old WLNY 10/55 studio in Melville or did they sell that off too? Last I heard of it, it was converted into a bureau for CBS 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYTV said:

Doesn’t CBS still have the old WLNY 10/55 studio in Melville or did they sell that off too? Last I heard of it, it was converted into a bureau for CBS 2

Believe that has been shut down and sold. 

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

Curious as to why, maybe WJZ or WBZ isn't taking over WCBS's news broadcasts they are closer to New York.   Is it because KCBS is a bigger news operation?

Also, take into account that both  WJZ and WBZ broadcast news the same time as WCBS TV.. KCBS is a logical choice only b/c of the time difference.

4 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Also, take into account that both  WJZ and WBZ broadcast news the same time as WCBS TV.. KCBS is a logical choice only b/c of the time difference.

Time difference, common branding, studio and control room capacity... definitely see why KCBS was chosen to do the evening newscasts.

Would like to know why they decided to do the morning shows out of KPIX instead of keeping it all in Los Angeles. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ED2 said:

Would like to know why they decided to do the morning shows out of KPIX instead of keeping it all in Los Angeles. 

One has to think it's to split the workload between KPIX / KCBS, so as not to overwhelm the KCBS staff.

• Like 3