WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

14 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

So I have a question.. I’m really not up early enough most days  to see the early news and when I am I’m out of the house by 5:30.. is Alex a 3rd anchor basically now? How much screen time does she get compared to when she was exclusively traffic? And how major is her role on the show now? 

Alex still does traffic, but has also been a fill-in anchor when needed, primarily on the morning, noon and 5pm newscasts. She also anchors for CBSN New York as well as the national CBSN, typically hosting the 1pm ET- 5pm slot. 

Full traffic reports returned this morning as CBS2 brought back "Traffic & Weather On The 2s".1555627919_Video007.thumb.jpeg.6c497d89445b740c389a51a18ccd7483.jpeg

Another change was Alex and Elise did the "CBSNewYork.com Top Trending Stories" and "2 Talkers" segments.

"CBSNewYork.com Top Trending Stories" had been Alex, Chris and Mary and "2 Talkers" was Alex, Chris, Mary and Elise.

• Like 1

I wonder if the change was in part due to complaints from viewers about the reduction of traffic reports?

Few weeks ago Chris Wragge posted to his IG story a video that panned from him to Alex with text  "For all those asking where the traffic reports are".

By Friday traffic reports were deemed not important.  Alex was off and they only did "Weather On The 2s".

Edited by IceManNYR

20 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

I wonder if the change was in part due to complaints from viewers about the reduction of traffic reports?

Few weeks ago Chris Wragge posted to his IG story a video that panned from him to Alex with text  "For all those asking where the traffic reports are".

By Friday traffic reports were deemed not important.  Alex was off and they only did "Weather On The 2s".

At this point I feel CBS2 this morning needs a big shake up. I'm not 100% what their stats look like but when you are competing with WABC, WNBC I just feel that CBS2 has lost it's touch in the morning. CBSN New York is a lot better than the morning news (IMO).

Tuesday Alex was co-anchoring subbing for Mary and they used the "Weather on the 2s" branding, having Alex do limited traffic reports.

Today Alex was off but Jenna DeAngelis‏ was subbing doing traffic and the "Traffic & Weather on the 2s" branding returned.

Do any other stations do this?

So I have a question.. has WCBS made any morning news promos with all of them standing together m? Or have they just used clips from the show? I ask because Bill Evans once again responded back to someone on Facebook saying that he’d be back on tv “soon”.. now WCBS is really the only one I can think of that he’s going too. Unless something is in the works at FOX5 that we don’t know about. I highly doubt PIX.. 

4 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Have traffic subs?  All the rest do. It’s been the subject of much discussion in this thread.  

What I meant was, does any other station get rid of their "Traffic & Weather" branding then bring it back as CBS2 does?

2 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

What I meant was, does any other station get rid of their "Traffic & Weather" branding then bring it back as CBS2 does?

I think the only stations that do the traffic/weather branding are 2,4 and 7.. WNBC does “weather and traffic on the 4s..” and WABC does “7minutes”/ “Weather&Heather”.. the rest do weather and traffic but they don’t really have a name for it 

13 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

10 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

I think the only stations that do the traffic/weather branding are 2,4 and 7.. WNBC does “weather and traffic on the 4s..” and WABC does “7minutes”/ “Weather&Heather”.. the rest do weather and traffic but they don’t really have a name for it 

WNBC went away with the weather and traffic on the 4's right before Chris Cimino got out the door. From what I notice when I watch TINY uninterrupted News first 10 minutes than weather & traffic..  The only station that has really kept their branding is WABC.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

I may be a little late with this but Kristine Johnson is back in the Anchor's chair in a unusual spot. Sunday Morning. I'm guessing she was in for Andrea Grymes.

Yes she was. Chris Wragge subbed for Andrea Grymes on Saturday morning.

Lonnie Quinn subbed for Vanessa Murdok Saturday night. 

Jessica Layton subbed for Jessica Moore on the weekend evening newscasts.

12 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Yes she was. Chris Wragge subbed for Andrea Grymes on Saturday morning.

Lonnie Quinn subbed for Vanessa Murdok Saturday night. 

Jessica Layton subbed for Jessica Moore on the weekend evening newscasts.

Copy that Iceman.. Usually, Kristine doesn't work weekends unless in this situation. While we're at this. I haven't seen Kristine or Maurice do early PM's at CBSN. Although Dana does the 6PM newscast. I believe she does CBSN I think 2 days out of the week at 1PM.

I don't know who is hiring or scheduling the on-air talent on WCBS, but it seems they have a look that they go for, especially for their female anchors other than Kristine, Dana and Cindy. The female anchors they choose look like plastic dolls with no sign of personality/chemistry at all: Alice Gainer, Jessica Moore, Alex Denis. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 11:26 PM, NYNews said:

I don't know who is hiring or scheduling the on-air talent on WCBS, but it seems they have a look that they go for, especially for their female anchors other than Kristine, Dana and Cindy. The female anchors they choose look like plastic dolls with no sign of personality/chemistry at all: Alice Gainer, Jessica Moore, Alex Denis. 

And I  thought I was the only one that was thinking that way.

Edited by cbs2idiots

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:38 PM, TellyGenic said:

Where's Dave Carlin?  He hasn't been on-air since before Labor Day, and his social media all stopped around September 5.  He's still on the WCBS website.  Does anyone know - is he ill?  It seems like an awfully long time to be on vacation...

Matter of fact he was on a long extended vacation. Just started reporting on Bay Ridge Halloween story over the weekend and a couple of online exclusives.  

2 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Not so good news on this spectrum: WCBS TV news van stolen in The Bronx yesterday prepping for a live shot. 

I guess someone submitted a tip to FTV and they ran with the story.

Source: FTV https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/10/21/lets-go-live-tooopsour-live-truck-was-stolen

What is it with crimes against local broadcast journalists? This is sick.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...