WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

Find it odd the morning after severe storms, that caused major flooding in some areas, WCBS had no full traffic reports this morning.

Alex was not there today and they only did a few quick "Commuter Alert" segments.

CBS2 being cheap right now.....

10 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

10 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Maybe the hit was non-sponsored and the producer took the time back for other news.

Are the shows even sold out right now?

Edited by Eat News
NATURE (I'm So Pretty) MV.. https://youtu.be/DcLfutPGouk
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 2:26 PM, Spintech33 said:

Alex was off. No traffic reports today.

Jenna DeAngelis, who has subbed doing traffic, was in studio reporting and could have done the traffic reports.

Starting to get a little repetitive in this thread. Is the lack of someone telling you traffic times on TV in the year 2019 really THAT big of a deal?

It's obvious WCBS doesn't care that they occasionally don't have traffic reports. If viewers were that upset by it, they'd be subbing the role. If it's not affecting the ratings, it's not going to change, and apparently not having traffic reports is not affecting ratings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry for getting repetitive. I agree in general it's not a big deal,  except when they are the only local TV station to not have someone sub when the regular traffic reporter is out I do find that odd.

In other CBS2 news, noticed Nina Kapur, previously with News 12 Connecticut, joined WCBS in June as a reporter.

1399627081_Video036.thumb.jpeg.1fdd2f3296df0ba6ee915a25d8111b58.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Starting to get a little repetitive in this thread. Is the lack of someone telling you traffic times on TV in the year 2019 really THAT big of a deal?

It's obvious WCBS doesn't care that they occasionally don't have traffic reports. If viewers were that upset by it, they'd be subbing the role. If it's not affecting the ratings, it's not going to change, and apparently not having traffic reports is not affecting ratings.

It is getting repetitive but the absence of a regular traffic report in the prime morning rush hour is also quite ridiculous, especially for the largest city and TV market in the country. I'm confused as to how that negligence is being lost on anyone. Beyond that, is it ever a good thing to be so inconsistent? Cancel traffic reports out entirely instead of only when the traffic anchor is away.

CBS 2 is easily the 4th or 5th rated morning news program in the city and this is an obvious example of them phoning it in. If this is their approach then, hell what's the point of doing the news at all? I mean everything they discuss is a rehash of the 11 pm news the night before and if it's not then it's typically stories that are already accessible through some means well before 4:30 a.m. Just cancel the entire 2.5 hour show because it's 2019 and is outdated morning news really THAT big of a deal?

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 4

My thing is WCBS is not the strongest in the morning to begin with so eliminating something people are accustomed to or rely on is just dumb.. yes they say traffic reports are outdated within minutes but many people that watch live in the suburbs.. if they hear that there’s an accident and the GW is backed up or the palisades is down to one lane they’ll probably adjust their routine.. all in all traffic is just as.. if not more important than the weather in the morning.. which is why it’s done at the top and as often as it is.. i just think it’s insane for them to bypass traffic all together and be so inconsistent with it.. 

I don't agree with getting rid of the morning program at WCBS-TV. However, the talent has to seriously change.

Honestly, I can't remember when the last time WCBS-TV had good talent for their Weekday morning program. 

But in regards to traffic:  WCBS Newsradio 880 is #1 when it comes to traffic breaking news and if that was incorporated into the TV program in the morning I personally think we wouldn't be talking about an traffic anchor and use an anchor from 880. Morning drive anchors are pretty hard to find. However, when you find one and they are good. You keep them and invest with them.

It's proven success at the other stations. Why can't WCBS-TV get with the program with that.  #IMO.. #carryon.

59 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

I don't agree with getting rid of the morning program at WCBS-TV. However, the talent has to seriously change.

Honestly, I can't remember when the last time WCBS-TV had good talent for their Weekday morning program. 

But in regards to traffic:  WCBS Newsradio 880 is #1 when it comes to traffic breaking news and if that was incorporated into the TV program in the morning I personally think we wouldn't be talking about an traffic anchor and use an anchor from 880. Morning drive anchors are pretty hard to find. However, when you find one and they are good. You keep them and invest with them.

It's proven success at the other stations. Why can't WCBS-TV get with the program with that.  #IMO.. #carryon.

Remember that WCBS 880 is no longer part of the same company as WCBS TV.  CBS sold the radio division to Entercom about 2 years ago.  Sharing on air personalities is not longer a given and would require contracts.  Entercom is licensing the call letters and contracted with CBS News to provide news updates (with a name change to differentiate).  It used to be that most TV and radio stations used one or two traffic suppliers like the former Shadow Traffic and then Total Traffic.  The supplier used to provide the talent so there were backups.  Clearly with CBS, that model has changed and its no longer a priority. 

12 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

Remember that WCBS 880 is no longer part of the same company as WCBS TV.  CBS sold the radio division to Entercom about 2 years ago.  Sharing on air personalities is not longer a given and would require contracts.  Entercom is licensing the call letters and contracted with CBS News to provide news updates (with a name change to differentiate).  It used to be that most TV and radio stations used one or two traffic suppliers like the former Shadow Traffic and then Total Traffic.  The supplier used to provide the talent so there were backups.  Clearly with CBS, that model has changed and its no longer a priority. 

I totally forgot that 2017 acquisition to Entercom and yes you are correct with the contracts b/c I would remember certain WCBS-TV reporters doing reports on 880 and vice versa.

7 hours ago, NowBergen said:

And remember that traffic reports are usually barter situations...

A company like Total Traffic provides the people and infrastructure to provide the reports to the station in exchange for ad inventory that the traffic service sells at whatever rate they can get.

Unless WCBS TV creates it's own in house traffic department...then they won't really be able to compete with just a lone "traffic anchor".

Plenty of other sources for the same traffic and transit info like the live 511 services popping up all over the country,

Edited by Eat News
Raina ,Wuno, DayDay All day All Night (MV)..https://youtu.be/QRC6AYnaf2U

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

Elise was subbing for John this morning.

Jeff Berardelli is subbing for Vanessa.

Scott Rapoport is subbed Friday night and is on tonight doing sports.

Weird. And John Marshall filled in for Elise a few mornings this past week. 

For morning newscast they have ditched the "Traffic & Weather on the 2s" branding and reduced the amount of traffic reports.

The full traffic reports were done at 5:15, 6:00.

They did shorter "Commuter Alert" segments at 6:15, 6:22. 6:44. 6:53.

Alex also did a segment called "Happening Today" at 4:38., 5:38, 6:36.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

For morning newscast they have ditched the "Traffic & Weather on the 2s" branding and reduced the amount of traffic reports.

The full traffic reports were done at 5:15, 6:00.

They did shorter "Commuter Alert" segments at 6:15, 6:22. 6:44. 6:53.

Alex also did a segment called "Happening Today" at 4:38., 5:38, 6:36.

I’m sorry but WCBS has nothing going for them in the morning right now.. Despite what others on this thread say traffic is pretty important in the morning.. what’s the Happening Today segment? Like a rundown of top stories or something?

6 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

I’m sorry but WCBS has nothing going for them in the morning right now.. Despite what others on this thread say traffic is pretty important in the morning.. what’s the Happening Today segment? Like a rundown of top stories or something?

Happening Today is Exactly What It Says On The Tin, a report of certain event(s) taking place on that day. You see it a lot on morning shows, local and national.

Some stations may do a Happening Tonight or Happening Tomorrow, as well.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kshow said:

It looks as though they are trying to make Alex a 3rd co-anchor. It's obvious they don't want to make traffic reporter her only job at the station.

I'm pretty sure when her contact was renews she mentioned that she would be doing more than traffic.

That's why she subs for Mary and is anchoring on CBSN NY.

Kristine Johnson updated why she has been off air.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:13 PM, IceManNYR said:

Elise was subbing for John this morning.

Jeff Berardelli is subbing for Vanessa.

Scott Rapoport is subbed Friday night and is on tonight doing sports.

Both Steve Overmyer and Alice Gainer got married (not to each other) this past weekend.  Lots of photos on instagram of both events, attended by many WCBS on-air personalities.  Hence, the substitutes.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a question.. I’m really not up early enough most days  to see the early news and when I am I’m out of the house by 5:30.. is Alex a 3rd anchor basically now? How much screen time does she get compared to when she was exclusively traffic? And how major is her role on the show now?