WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

18 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Another day where Alex is subbing for Mary and they’re not bothering to do traffic reports.

I find it ironic because this week you have Emily West subbing for Lauren on WNBC and Alex Lee is subbing for Heather on WABC. 

This seems so ridiculous.  The segment is only important because of the talent, not because of the information being presented?  

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier but I would be in favor of eliminating regular traffic reports on newscasts.  First of all, it doesn't affect a lot of the audience.  (I have no idea what the percentage might be.  Wish I had more data.)  Second, my guess is that, by the time you get to the area of the incident, it'll be different.  A slowdown caused by a normal accident might have been solved.  A new incident may have popped up.  Traffic on radio seems to make way more sense.  (Not to mention Google Maps and Waze.)  Of course, if there's a major incident, that could be reported more as a news story, perhaps with the chopper.

But traffic reports shouldn't be dependent on whether the traffic anchor is available.  It should be based on the need of the segments. 

9 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

This seems so ridiculous.  The segment is only important because of the talent, not because of the information being presented?  

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier but I would be in favor of eliminating regular traffic reports on newscasts.  First of all, it doesn't affect a lot of the audience.  (I have no idea what the percentage might be.  Wish I had more data.)  Second, my guess is that, by the time you get to the area of the incident, it'll be different.  A slowdown caused by a normal accident might have been solved.  A new incident may have popped up.  Traffic on radio seems to make way more sense.  (Not to mention Google Maps and Waze.)  Of course, if there's a major incident, that could be reported more as a news story, perhaps with the chopper.

But traffic reports shouldn't be dependent on whether the traffic anchor is available.  It should be based on the need of the segments. 

As someone who drives 35 miles each way to and from work each day, I use the traffic reports on TV and radio to alert me of any issues there may be out there. While it's true that in many cases the incident is gone by the time you get there, at least you are prepared that there may be a delay. I still think traffic reports are essential for the early morning commute.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

WABC does a good job when it covers traffic and traffic breaking news. This morning there was a traffic breaking news with 75 min delays on the GWB including a 3 car fender on the West Side Highway coming off the bridge and they were first on scene.

On the radio side: WCBS Newsradio 880 is definitely the best when it comes to traffic coverage.

I feel WCBS is lacking the talent of traffic reporters since WABC and WNBC seems to be doing pretty well when it comes to that part of the department. Do all 3 stations share the same chopper heliport in Linden NJ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

At 5:12 AM, the CBS2 news scroll switched to the graphics used by CBSN New York for the rest of the newscast.
There were also no full traffic reports as Alex subbed for Chris.
921214072_Video018.thumb.jpeg.e28b8d0494502ab0ec3c14c13e7bbde7.jpeg

Preferably , I like those CBSN New York graphics better. It has a nice feel to the AM program.

12Noon cast: Alex > Mary > Elise.

I kinda said this the other day. But WCBS-TV needs to focus on getting new traffic talent to have a sub for Alex when she anchors for Chris Wragge.  At least make an attempt to snatch one traffic anchor from another CBS O&O, (KYW or Upstate Albany perhaps). However, easier said than done only b/c one would have to understand New York City, NJ- (Trenton- Del Water Gap) and lower Connecticut traffic- (Stamford, Bridgeport, New Haven) 

Jeff Berardelli filled in for Lonnie Quinn last night and again tonight. He also filled in on a weekend evening about a month ago, and has been appearing on CBS This Morning: Saturday. 

Jeff’s return is a blast from the past, as he was the regular weekend morning meteorologist from 2003 through 2007.

The CBSNNY ticker is better.  I hate endless scrolls.  This is more of a "flipper" in most parts.  But it's too slow animating between sections.  A seven-day forecast for multiple towns seems a bit much.  I think it'd be better if it was a today/tonight/tomorrow type of thing with a few words describing the weather, not just icons and high temps.

Also, the ticker doesn't match the lower thirds. The time and temperate doesn't line up with the CBS 2 bug.

But the CBSNNY graphics have been creeping up on TV.  They use the same look in full screens, maps, and the "credit" graphic on the upper left.

By the way, they still use the scrolling ticker during CBS This Morning.

Edited by Geoffrey

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

The CBSNNY ticker is better.  I hate endless scrolls.  This is more of a "flipper" in most parts.  But it's too slow animating between sections.  A seven-day forecast for multiple towns seems a bit much.  I think it'd be better if it was a today/tonight/tomorrow type of thing with a few words describing the weather, not just icons and high temps.

Also, the ticker doesn't match the lower thirds. The time and temperate doesn't line up with the CBS 2 bug.

But the CBSNNY graphics have been creeping up on TV.  They use the same look in full screens, maps, and the "credit" graphic on the upper left.

By the way, they still use the scrolling ticker during CBS This Morning.

I'm happy that CBS2 is now incorporating the CBSNNY Ticker. However, less clutter is needed.

Modify the weather portion to only: Central Park, JFK/LGA/EWR, Rutgers Piscataway-New Brunswick and Connecticut (Weather reading offices only)

Other than what you mentioned- I agree.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:07 PM, bc485 said:

Jeff Berardelli filled in for Lonnie Quinn last night and again tonight. He also filled in on a weekend evening about a month ago, and has been appearing on CBS This Morning: Saturday. 

Jeff’s return is a blast from the past, as he was the regular weekend morning meteorologist from 2003 through 2007.

I’ve seen him on WPIX recently.

So I have a question maybe someone can answer.. For example WABC has Alex Lee fill in whenever Heather is off.. Alex Lee is also heard on 94.7 (NYs Country) and a few others.. Christina Stoffo (who used to anyway) fill in for Ines on FOX 5 is heard on KTU, Z100, Lite FM etc.. obviously the same traffic provider for each station, respectively.. WCBS has radio stations with the same parent company as WCBS-TV.. no?? So why not use Patty Steele from 101.1 or someone from 880.. even if they just sit at the desk or stand at a monitor wall.. Hell, even use a field reporter. But anyway if someone could answer the radio question that would be great.. I’m kinda interested 

10 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

So I have a question maybe someone can answer.. For example WABC has Alex Lee fill in whenever Heather is off.. Alex Lee is also heard on 94.7 (NYs Country) and a few others.. Christina Stoffo (who used to anyway) fill in for Ines on FOX 5 is heard on KTU, Z100, Lite FM etc.. obviously the same traffic provider for each station, respectively.. WCBS has radio stations with the same parent company as WCBS-TV.. no?? So why not use Patty Steele from 101.1 or someone from 880.. even if they just sit at the desk or stand at a monitor wall.. Hell, even use a field reporter. But anyway if someone could answer the radio question that would be great.. I’m kinda interested 

For WCBS.. It's called $$$$$ savings in the traffic department. It's easier to have an inhouse anchor do the traffic rather than a dedicated traffic reporter. Although Alex Denis is shown in the main promos doing traffic.  Tri-State area traffic isn't really hard to understand. However, when you have all the stations reporting almost the same traffic everyday than I could see why WCBSTV doesn't have a dedicated traffic person.

PS: New WCBSTV promo now features Elise. Along with Chris, Mary, Alex.

1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

Dick Brennan did the recorded sports report this morning. Did he do the sports report last night?1554581661_Video017.thumb.jpeg.1a3c4cbae1266249a5f2108b5022f3bb.jpeg

I always thought Otis Livingston does the recorded sports segments, that's unless he's on vacation and Dick Brennan is subbing, However, very nice screen shot.

20 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

I always thought Otis Livingston does the recorded sports segments, that's unless he's on vacation and Dick Brennan is subbing, However, very nice screen shot.

Steve Overmyer did the sports segment this morning.

• Like 1

Find it odd the morning after severe storms, that caused major flooding in some areas, WCBS had no full traffic reports this morning.

Alex was not there today and they only did a few quick "Commuter Alert" segments.

Edited by IceManNYR