WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

CBS 2 seems to have finally moved its bug all the way to the right to fill the 16:9 screen, instead of being in the 4:3 safe zone. This is especially apparent in the attached screenshot from CBS 2 News at 5:00 tonight, where the white bar with “CBSNewYork” cuts off well before the logo begins. When the logo was in the 4:3 safe zone, the white bar ended exactly where the logo begins. 

I wonder why they did it this way?  The package has always been tailored to the 4:3 safe zone, although with many elements out of the safe zone (mostly banners in the L3 to the left of the text).  Why not just go for full blown 16:9, or just leave it all 4:3 safe?

5C5C04ED-49C6-4C6D-AEAD-9FF9570C5019.jpeg

Edited by bc485
  • Like 1

Good catch! As usual in recent years, CBS 2 seems to be doing things in their piecemeal style, which results in a sloppy on-air appearance.  Why move the bug but not reconfigure the lower-third banners?  I'd imagine that's coming next but what's with the on-air testing?

I just went back and checked the noon broadcast.  It seems CBS 2 had no idea what they were doing with the bug.  They used the "new bug" at the beginning, then reverted back to the original position at 12:01, then moved it back to the new spot at 12:05.  But then it was back in the original spot after the first commercial break and seems to have remained there for the rest of the newscast.

Oh, and the left side of the lower-thirds haven't been 4:3 safe since this package debuted a few years ago because that's where they stick things like "Breaking News" and story-specific text. But the bug on the right had been 4:3 safe until today. 

I'm interested to see how long until they make the adjustments to the lower-thirds and if they can use the full screen for the seven-day forecast (that five-plus-two look should have died years ago but was a holdover of John Bolaris' "+2" thing... Yes, it's that old). 

(And my fingers are crossed for a complete redesign...  This package is sloppy all over.)

Update: WLNY has moved the bug over to the right as well tonight.

Screenshot_(339).png

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bc485 said:

CBS 2 seems to have finally moved its bug all the way to the right to fill the 16:9 screen, instead of being in the 4:3 safe zone. This is especially apparent in the attached screenshot from CBS 2 News at 5:00 tonight, where the white bar with “CBSNewYork” cuts off well before the logo begins. When the logo was in the 4:3 safe zone, the white bar ended exactly where the logo begins. 

I wonder why they did it this way?  The package has always been tailored to the 4:3 safe zone, although with many elements out of the safe zone (mostly banners in the L3 to the left of the text).  Why not just go for full blown 16:9, or just leave it all 4:3 safe?

5C5C04ED-49C6-4C6D-AEAD-9FF9570C5019.jpeg

KDKA just started doing this within the past couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

I think the industry's collective obsession with having some sort of interchangeable branding on the screen at all times (Scripps, Hearst, CBS, etc.) means these 16:9/4:3 hybrid packages will stick around for the time being. There's no real reason to make the text go all the way to the edge of the screen, and moving it into the old 4:3 area opens up space to jam some branding graphic next to it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

CBS2 has made some slight changes to the morning newscast this week.

For some of the traffic and weather segments at the top of the hour and half hour,

the camera starts at the side of the desk then moves around the desk and ends with a closeup on John.

Around 5:25 AM they are doing a "CBSNEWYORK.COM Most Viewed" segment from the couch.

Around 6:25 AM they have everyone sitting at the couch for traffic and weather and "2 Talkers" segments.

Here's also a bit more of the anchors standing next to video wall to intro reports.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:26 PM, Geoffrey said:

(And my fingers are crossed for a complete redesign...  This package is sloppy all over.)

I'm guessing a redesign is coming soon.  Since about 2007, CBS O&Os have updated their graphics and music every 3 years.  Last update was in April 2016...nearly three years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Alex was subbing for Chris who was guest co-host of "The Talk" today.
Instead of having a sub do the traffic reports,

they skipped the traffic reports and rebranded the segments "Weather On The 2s"

Video 067.jpeg

They just didn't do traffic today??

7 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

Alex was subbing for Chris who was guest co-host of "The Talk" today.
Instead of having a sub do the traffic reports,

they skipped the traffic reports and rebranded the segments "Weather On The 2s"

Video 067.jpeg

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

They just didn't do traffic today??

That’s ridiculous in a market such as NYC. Surely they have another reporter that could do traffic or had her cut a few segments of anchoring to prepare the reports (or is NYC a large enough where there are traffic producers).

First of all.. I understand Alex anchoring and giving her the chance but  they have plenty of options for coverage if they couldn’t cover her.. I’m sure they knew well in advance that Chris would be hosting the Talk today.. and they could’ve worked a schedule.. I remember even PIX11 a while back if Jill Nicolini was covering the early shift she’d either read the traffic from the desk or the weather anchor (whoever it was that day) would jump in.. traffic is one of the most.. if not THE biggest reason ppl tune in during the morning. 

OK. Let’s come in off the ledge, un-twist our panties and un-clutch our pearls... and ask an important and unpopular question.

How relevant is a television traffic report in 2019? Really.

Every commuter worth their salt relies on traffic apps, and there are loads of them. Even Google Maps shows traffic now. TV traffic has always been dubious, because the information ages quickly, and each report is only relevant to a select geographic area. If you live in Union County, then Long Island and Westchester traffic reports mean nothing to you. Traffic apps, which every commuter depends on, are universal, real-time and more reliable. Once in the car, every radio station has traffic reports, which are probably more reliable as well. Commuters who watch TV know that.

Transit information might seem to be more relevant, but there are just as many apps for that. Also, the MTA’s own site, and all have real time information that are more comprehensive than TV traffic.

While nobody has mentioned it, I’ll bet traffic and transit information were in the crawl, because it’s automated. And any major traffic event, such as the upper level of the GWB closed, an accident on the Helix, or A & D service suspended below 59th Street would likely be covered in the news blocks or by helicopter. 

From a business perspective, long term loss of traffic wouldn’t be a good idea, only because it would convey an idea of something missing or not caring. It’s window- dressing. But in terms of actual real time usefulness, technology has passed it by. Considering how many other things in television have changed, the way TV covers traffic hasn’t changed substantially in decades. I’ll bet most people who missed it (if any), only missed it because it’s a time reminder. Traffic is on, so it’s time to take my shower.

Last, but certainly not least, is the fact that WCBS morning problems go far deeper than one day of traffic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I agree here - if you're reliant on traffic reports in the morning, WCBS-AM, 1010 WINS, or even KTU would be better sources than TV News. If anything, I think there should be more of an emphasis on transit coverage, given how skewed the market is towards public transportation. 

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, MetroCity said:

OK. Let’s come in off the ledge, un-twist our panties and un-clutch our pearls... and ask an important and unpopular question.

How relevant is a television traffic report in 2019? Really.

I agree with the statements you make. I just think it’s surprising that in DMA #1 there was no one doing traffic or perhaps trained on the system.  

I’m starting to wonder if they’re planning some sort of anchor moves and they’re testing pairs .. Monday night at 5 Mary Calvi was in fir Kristine and Alice Gainer was in the field.. I just find it weird.. also that when Dick Brennan did the 9 he would often fill in on the morning show and now he’s not at all..