WCBS - CBS2 News

Smitha A

This is a big loss to WCBS. Lou Young has been a staple of New York news for over 30 years now from WABC to WNBC to WCBS. I really wish he'd come back to WABC, but I don't see that as likely.

Umm, he did say he's retiring... Wish him the best, and lots of rest!

"Some call it retirement but it is just a pause." His words.

Regardless, the party was today.

Most people that graduated HS with Lou retired over 10 years ago after working 30 years at regular middle class jobs with pensions

This morning Alex Denis and Steve Overmeyer anchored. I understand it was a holiday but are they that shorthanded on regular reporters that they have to use a sports anchor and traffic anchor t fill in?

Steve doesn't anchor that much, but Alex has filled in quite a few times on the morning newscast.

• Like 1

Yeah that I do know. I wonder if it's in her contract? Why have her anchor when they have to cover her spot anyway?

When I've seen her fill in on holidays, there really is no traffic reporter on those days for them.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved this last set. It's circular design and usable features worked so much to its advantage,

and made it one of the best in my book. Even in a market where all of them were fantastic. ...

(well, except WNYW, of course.)

I know this new one'll look a bit like KCBS or WBZ, but that makes me even more excited.

• Like 1

What the hell when is WBBM going to get a new set. Every other Chicago station has gotten a new set except them. WBBM has no stand up areas no interview set. They sit at that horseshit news desk for everything. I mean damn if they got a new desk id be satisfied. They need to get a desk similar to WJBKs so they can move it when needed. As for WNYW FOX isn't lazy, they have updated every other set except WNYW and KDFW

Anybody think this WCBS will go 16:9 with the new set and spread it to other O&Os? The ball usually starts rolling with them.

In all honestly, they should've dropped the 4:3 safe zone spacing with the recent graphics update.

In all honestly, they should've dropped the 4:3 safe zone spacing with the recent graphics update.

I posted this in the shoutbox, but I'll write it in permanence here. I flew JetBlue the other weekend for the first time in ages (not much use for JetBlue out west), and I ended up on planes that hadn't been touched in about a decade. The seatback TVs were still 4:3 cut, and when I watched WCBS' news, it was amazing to see how much was cut off. Sure, the bug and most of the lower thirds are in the safe zone, but even things that I thought were designed to be 4:3 safe like the OTS are ridiculously cut off. Not to mention too that so much of the shot blocking and the doubleboxes don't even try to be 4:3 safe.

It's such a poor viewing experience that I would think for those still stuck in the stone age with a 4:3 TV or in the back of an old JetBlue A320, a 16:9 letterbox signal would be so much better. At least, that's what most other station groups have started doing years ago.

It's such a poor viewing experience that I would think for those still stuck in the stone age with a 4:3 TV or in the back of an old JetBlue A320, a 16:9 letterbox signal would be so much better. At least, that's what most other station groups have started doing years ago.

Many old people can only see in 4:3 and some still in B/W.

I can remember when JetBlue was called "PropBlue".

The 4pm special at Sizzler is Liver and Onions...and the all you can eat salad bar.

• Like 6

Many old people can only see in 4:3 and some still in B/W.

I can remember when JetBlue was called "PropBlue".

The 4pm special at Sizzler is Liver and Onions...and the all you can eat salad bar.

I'm old enough to remember when JetBlue a/k/a PropBlue switched from black and white to color...