WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

I'm almost guessing that this is only going to be on Friday nights? If so, it's clear where they got this model from...WGN's Sunday night "Instant Replay". It's been on forever, and it's always been a standalone show that airs at 9:40, following THE CONCLUSION of the 9 o'clock news.

A New promotion: A tablet a day in May?

Where on earth are they getting the money for this? I don't blame them on this one, because I have seen WNYW and WNBC pull the same stint with iPads (but not every day though). Not sure if it worked with respect to ratings.

Wpix is hiring? Anchor (in a single anchor format) uh oh not again :bang: job posted 4/11/14

Overview:

Anchor/Reporter - WPIX-TV

We are looking for one of the faces of PIX11 News. In our single Anchor format, you will be the host of two dynamic and innovative shows that both entertain and inform. As the Host of these programs, you will be expected to stay informed and be a part of the process. You must be a sharp, informative and entertaining Writer, as well as a well-informed news "junkie". You must also be comfortable both reading news scripts, as well as ad-libbing and doing breaking news live with merely bullet points and a Producer in your ear. You will work closely with both the Executive Producer and Producer to cultivate your own voice.

This is not a traditional show where the Anchor sits behind a desk and just reads. You will be moving around the studio and walking while on camera as the show dictates. At times, you will be asked to go into the field to do special interviews and segments.

Responsibilities:

• Read stories on regular, scheduled newscasts and other programs produced by the station.
  • Writes and/or proofreads stories on assigned broadcasts.
  • Covers and reports news stories when not performing Anchor duties.
  • Contributes ideas for possible stories.
  • Monitors news feeds when necessary.
  • Answers viewer phone calls and mail.
  • Performs public speaking engagements and makes other appearances deemed important to the station image by management.
  • Develops community contacts.

Qualifications:

BA in Broadcasting, Journalism, or Communications preferred.

Minimum of 3 (three) years' experience in News desired.

Experience working as a Reporter for a broadcast news organization desired.

Must be an effective communicator, effective writer and have good organizational skills.

Must be able to perform duties and make decisions under extreme pressure.

The ability to accept constructive direction and criticism designed to enhance individual's performance is desired.

Ability to interact positively and productively with others required.

Will be required to frequently leave building to cover news stories.

Works hours: 8-hour workdays, 5 days per week and may be required to work additional hours or days.

A New promotion: A tablet a day in May?

Where on earth are they getting the money for this? I don't blame them on this one, because I have seen WNYW and WNBC pull the same stint with iPads (but not every day though). Not sure if it worked with respect to ratings.

It's sponsored, by Radio Shack no less, so if Radio Shack didn't give them the tablets outright, they were probably discounted or offset by RadioShack's sponsorship contract. 30 low end Galaxy Tab 4's would only run you $6k retail, so...

Wpix is hiring? Anchor (in a single anchor format) uh oh not again :bang: job posted 4/11/14

Overview:

Anchor/Reporter - WPIX-TV

We are looking for one of the faces of PIX11 News. In our single Anchor format, you will be the host of two dynamic and innovative shows that both entertain and inform. As the Host of these programs, you will be expected to stay informed and be a part of the process. You must be a sharp, informative and entertaining Writer, as well as a well-informed news "junkie". You must also be comfortable both reading news scripts, as well as ad-libbing and doing breaking news live with merely bullet points and a Producer in your ear. You will work closely with both the Executive Producer and Producer to cultivate your own voice.

This is not a traditional show where the Anchor sits behind a desk and just reads. You will be moving around the studio and walking while on camera as the show dictates. At times, you will be asked to go into the field to do special interviews and segments.

Responsibilities:

• Read stories on regular, scheduled newscasts and other programs produced by the station.
  • Writes and/or proofreads stories on assigned broadcasts.
  • Covers and reports news stories when not performing Anchor duties.
  • Contributes ideas for possible stories.
  • Monitors news feeds when necessary.
  • Answers viewer phone calls and mail.
  • Performs public speaking engagements and makes other appearances deemed important to the station image by management.
  • Develops community contacts.

Qualifications:

BA in Broadcasting, Journalism, or Communications preferred.

Minimum of 3 (three) years' experience in News desired.

Experience working as a Reporter for a broadcast news organization desired.

Must be an effective communicator, effective writer and have good organizational skills.

Must be able to perform duties and make decisions under extreme pressure.

The ability to accept constructive direction and criticism designed to enhance individual's performance is desired.

Ability to interact positively and productively with others required.

Will be required to frequently leave building to cover news stories.

Works hours: 8-hour workdays, 5 days per week and may be required to work additional hours or days.

Maybe they're starting a new type of show we don't know about? I'd be shocked if they're going back to this format. Very shocked. No one is that stupid. And I don't think they're giving up on Tamsen and Scott.

I already wrote this up on page 7 of this forum, about the anchor slot being open. Here's what I said:

I just figured I'd check PIX 11 Jobs, and there's an open spot for an anchor/reporter and the date posted was April 11th of this year. It says in our "single anchor format". Was the description written a while ago? I'm just not sure what they're implying by that. I guess they're either looking for an anchor to replace Dan (if he ever leaves) or a new anchor to do the 11am and weekend morning newscasts (if that ever happens).

Maybe they're starting a new type of show we don't know about? I'd be shocked if they're going back to this format. Very shocked. No one is that stupid. And I don't think they're giving up on Tamsen and Scott.

And If they give up on Tamsen and Scott now, that's a sign of a weak station. Even though they're not that good, viewers aren't going to want to get to know a new anchor again. It's better to have Tamsen, a familiar morning anchor or 'glamour girl' as some refer to her paired with Scott, a familiar sports reporter and WWE commentator. Unless of course they plan on returning Kaity to weekdays, which the chances of that happening are extremely slim IMO.

Or another thought just sprung into my mind. Maybe they want to add a 6PM newscast with a new solo anchor walking around? Or at another time slot? Hmmm...

So it's the 2nd day of the PIX11 Sports Desk, and it's really the same thing as last week (with different stories of course, just same format). It's obviously live though, because when they were covering the yankees, Scott said "ok guys do we have the tape" or something like that. They did have it, but it probably would of been edited out if it wasn't live. Also, I noticed they played the "NG style theme" (sorry I keep calling it this, I just don't know what else to call the new cut that they use of the custom package during the duration of the highlights during the first block. I also notice they did the open 2 times just like they did last week. During the second block however, they didn't have the music playing throughout. Also, Joe Mauceri is doing sports reporting again on location. And some of the stories that they did were just repeats of sports-oriented stories they did during the 5pm newscast. Finally, they should probably rename the show since they don't use a desk. Overall, no real difference from last week, and a pretty disappointing show IMO, as I expected.

It's obviously live though, because when they were covering the yankees, Scott said "ok guys do we have the tape" or something like that. They did have it, but it probably would of been edited out if it wasn't live.

Oh, it is, alright. There was a moment where Scott asked producers if they have a tape of a bit on deck. They do, but that clearly indicated that this show is live.

That's the kind of stuff they'd slip into it just to pretend like it is live, even though no one at home would notice (or care) otherwise.

That could have been done live to tape and left in because it really didn't affect timing. If the tape didn't air at all, they would have re-done it, but if it worked and the segment hit it's timing, why fix what ain't broken?

Everyone keeps hating on WPIX, and while it is not the best news program in New York City, I think it has shifted the focus back to local news stories and local interest stories, rather than Fox 5, which has had a recent tendency to cover a large amount of national interest stories, and, quite frankly, not that much news at all. (That being said, the weather on Fox 5 News at 10 is actually presented twice, as opposed to Pix, where there are like five teases before you can see the seven day forecast...) I think WPIX is definitely showing signs of improvement in programming, but now the newscast structure needs some work.

It seems that the people at WPIX have been listening to me and has finally stopped pre-recording their 'coming up' bumpers during the evening newscasts, which is great and thank you :) . However, the behind the scenes people need to wake up and put the correct graphic on that corresponds to the story. For example, they were telling us about the new CW line up, but they show a surveillance video, and they just showed the anchors for the rest of the bumper while they spoke. I don't mind them pre-recording the first preview they do before the stories, however. All they need to do is get some new management and control room people to fix the newscast structure and content and the new studio and they're good to go IMO. Yes, some of the on-air talent isn't the best, but I'm thinking it could work with the right management. And yes, I do keep changing my opinion every time I see the newscast.

As far as the graphics, I like that you (WPIX) sped up the transition in the open that says "PIX 11 News" in the beginning before the anchors are shown. This way there isn't any awkward pause (not that it's a bad thing, because the music package is great). Also, another tip: maybe during breaking news situations, make the "BREAKING NEWS" banner on the lower third red, instead of orange, this way it has more of an urgent feel to it, and catches the viewers attention. But I think orange is fine for all other circumstances.

Also, I've been liking the custom music cuts they've been using lately. And, also to any WPIX people who are reading this, I'd love a really long close with the theme that is playing in the background of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQOc5-emjhM

Or of course a really long close with this theme would be great too:

Yes, it's only a music package, but THIS is WPIX. Not the product you were putting out in October 2010-April 2014. To end with an optimistic comment, this is definitely the best news theme there is right now in New York. Period.

(I know most people on this forum are probably just members like myself, but I know there are some professionals or station insiders that do read this forum, so that's why this post is kind of addressed to them, in the case a WPIX behind the scenes person comes across this.)

Oh, let us just get one last reminder of what WPIX was back in October 2010. So they were even telling viewers that the new 10pm newscast was horrible. How the heck was this promoting the station? I don't know how an actual station, in the biggest market, can get this stupid (I'm not referring to now, I'm referring to the old days). I know this is from years ago, but for some reason I just came across it and wanted to share this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woECnZNPxbQ

:bang:

Oh, let us just get one last reminder of what WPIX was back in October 2010. So they were even telling viewers that the new 10pm newscast was horrible. How the heck was this promoting the station? I don't know how an actual station, in the biggest market, can get this stupid (I'm not referring to now, I'm referring to the old days). I know this is from years ago, but for some reason I just came across it and wanted to share this:

thanks for one last memory. Boy, were they so upfront about it.

How is that a promo? Is that supposed to be a promo for Fox 5 or something? Ridiculous.

How is that a promo? Is that supposed to be a promo for Fox 5 or something? Ridiculous.

Believe it or not, that is what PIX 11 aired on TV in the #1 market in the country to somehow "promote" their new 10pm newscast in October 2010. Thank god they are not THIS bad anymore.