WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

A lot of you will disagree with me on this but, I think Scripps should have right of first refusal at WPIX seeing how they once owned it.   Or better yet, shake down mission broadcasting & force mission into being it's own company (it will never happen), prohibit Nexstar from doing ANYTHING for Mission stations nationwide (Websites, ad sales, ect). I'm happy that the FCC is finally taking some action against Nexstar & Mission.

• Thought-Provoking 1

5 hours ago, DENDude said:

A lot of you will disagree with me on this but, I think Scripps should have right of first refusal at WPIX seeing how they once owned it.   Or better yet, shake down mission broadcasting & force mission into being it's own company (it will never happen), prohibit Nexstar from doing ANYTHING for Mission stations nationwide (Websites, ad sales, ect). I'm happy that the FCC is finally taking some action against Nexstar & Mission.

I would imagine that if that is the case, it would be in the purchase contract from Scripps.  Scripps control of WPIX was always intended to be temporary until Nexstar found a way to purchase the station, directly or through its Mission beard.  That is how the original contract was, that Nexstar could buy the station from Scripps.  Not sure why Scripps agreed to being a short term caretaker but they did.  Whether they maintained a right of first refusal should the station become available again is in the contract details which most of us probably are not privy too.  The first question, after Nexstar exhausts any/all available appeals, is are they willing to part with the number of stations required to purchase WPIX directly?  I would think many of the stations in smaller markets are direct/indirect duopolies (or more) and is Nexstar willing to give them up? and who could buy them?  Sinclair and most likely Gray are probably in the same boat edging close to the cap (including the long obsolete UHF discount) considering WPIX is a DMA 1 station broadcasting on the VHF band.  

• Like 1