WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

And who's paying for them to have 6 weeknight anchors? Certainly not Nexstar or any sane station owner in 2023.

Nextar wouldn't want to pay that many bodies.

AM

4:30-7 Vanessa & (Marysol?)

7-10 Dan & Tamsen? (if not then Hazel)

10-11 Marysol & Alex

PM

4 & 6p Kala & Craig Treadway

5 & 10p John & Shirley

I wonder if Tamsen would be better in the AM with Dan?

Edited by MediaZone4K

Tamsen posted today on Instagram her father is not doing well and a lot of things happened all at once. so she flew to be with him. that could explain some of the absence, but with the new promo apparently around,

I’m not sure if that means she’s not coming back but

I don’t wanna ask. I don’t think it’s the right time.

• Sad 2

On 4/17/2023 at 2:55 AM, MediaZone4K said:

Nextar wouldn't want to pay that many bodies.

AM

4:30-7 Vanessa & (Marysol?)

7-10 Dan & Tamsen? (if not then Hazel)

10-11 Marysol & Alex

PM

4 & 6p Kala & Craig Treadway

5 & 10p John & Shirley

I wonder if Tamsen would be better in the AM with Dan?

John and Kala would be the right fit

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 4:11 PM, Big Rollo Smokes said:

No more speculation. I just saw a spot during the Mets game with the new 10 PM team: Shirley, Kori, Irv and Moose.

Even if Tamsen is going on leave, for any extended amount of time, like others have said, they still wouldn't outright replace her in promos.

Agreed that John and Kala are probably currently the most underutilized talent at PIX. I find Kala a better anchor than Arrianee; and agreed that John has been moved around to every single slot and he's managed to comply. He must have a lot of patience; that is not quite how you should treat your groundbreaking veteran AM news anchor. And the same with Kaity on weekends. If anything put Kala as weekend anchor and have Kaity where she belongs-at 6pm weeknights! 

Either way back to real life, the current lineup seems to be

4-5pm :Tamsen and Arrianee (currently Kori since Vanessas on leave)

5/6/6:30: Tamsen and Kori

10pm: Kori and Shirley

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Agreed that John and Kala are probably currently the most underutilized talent at PIX. I find Kala a better anchor than Arrianee; and agreed that John has been moved around to every single slot and he's managed to comply. He must have a lot of patience; that is not quite how you should treat your groundbreaking veteran AM news anchor. And the same with Kaity on weekends. If anything put Kala as weekend anchor and have Kaity where she belongs-at 6pm weeknights! 

Was Shirley on at 10 last night?

1 hour ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Kala on the weekends doesn't hurt knowing that she was originally hired as weekend anchor when she joined in early 2016. 

WPIX fixed their mornings and fixed their set. Now their central issue is consistency. Part of cultivating an audience is viewers getting used to seeing regular faces on a particular show/timeslot. The constant shifting: Betty/Hazel, Chris Cimino, John/Kala, Kirsten Cole and more, is all over the place. Find a talent lineup that works and fight the compulsive urge to re arrange every few months.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jman7885 said:

Is Shirley still anchoring the 10pm. Have not seen anything on social media or otherwise on this…

Yes, Shirley at 10pm is permanent now. I did tune in to see the early evening, and Tamsen is still with Kori for the other dayparts. But aside from promos there is no press release or social media posting on the change. Either way i'd argue there is no responsibility of a news anchor to have a strong social media presence (despite that Tamsen does). Neither Shirley or Kori seem to and that is perfectly okay, as long as they can read the news effectively.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 11:56 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Yes, Shirley at 10pm is permanent now. I did tune in to see the early evening, and Tamsen is still with Kori for the other dayparts. But aside from promos there is no press release or social media posting on the change. Either way i'd argue there is no responsibility of a news anchor to have a strong social media presence (despite that Tamsen does). Neither Shirley or Kori seem to and that is perfectly okay, as long as they can read the news effectively.

Edited by 24994J

I feel like WPIX and WNYW are in a much better place these days with Shirley and Natasha, compared to Tamsen and Dari. We still don't know the full story with Dari ,but I guess they just didn't renew her contract. 

I feel like its also not too often you see a street reporter get promoted to top anchor (or maybe it is), but in Shirley's case it was very well deserved.

I'm glad they didn't entirely get rid of Tamsen, she was just miscast as 10pm anchor, and she'll do fine for the early evening shows. Tamsen moving to nights was one of the last moves of the Bill Carey era, come to think of it. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 5:30 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

Wouldn’t it make sense to put Shirley on one of the earlier shows, so that Tamsen’s not anchoring 3 straight hours. 

• 2 weeks later...

A mouthful of a name but interesting to see. Figueroa was a good guy when he was on the Mets and worked for SNY for a time but left due to some personal struggles. Glad to see he's landed back on his feet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...