WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

This seems to indicate they won't be broadcasting Yankees games anymore and haven't since 2021:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Yankees_broadcasters

So much for the whole "two teams, one station" branding.

Also explained on WPIX wiki page: "In 2015, the Yankees returned to WPIX after a 17-year absence, having picked up YES Network's package of over-the-air Yankees broadcasts, replacing WWOR-TV. These games co-existed with WPIX's existing Mets broadcasts (produced by SportsNet New York).[88] In 2022, these games left WPIX for Amazon Prime Video.[89]"

Edited by NYNewsCoverage

Also, Star Harvey announced that news today: she's replacing Stacy Ann on weekend evenings, while still doing weekend mornings. I'm guessing this means Stacy Ann takes Chris's old slot from 4-6am weekdays?

PS : also that new breaking news graphic looks pretty nice!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=656877486440523&set=a.459614339500173 

1 hour ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

Also, Star Harvey announced that news today: she's replacing Stacy Ann on weekend evenings, while still doing weekend mornings. I'm guessing this means Stacy Ann takes Chris's old slot from 4-6am weekdays?

PS : also that new breaking news graphic looks pretty nice!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=656877486440523&set=a.459614339500173 

Cool to see Stacy Ann back in the mornings as she had Inez's job on GDNY.

Edited by MediaZone4K

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is the best studio in New York, at least the parts we've seen. 

Graphics look nice, though the lower-thirds and even the bug ruin it for me. Not a fan of the very thin text bar on top... Text feels squished in there. The way the lower-thirds and the text on the full screens feels clunky to me.

But overall I think this is a very big improvement for PIX.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, IceManNYR said:

The only odd thing I'm noticing from the new studio is, the graphics look distorted when they do the weather forecast from the video wall.

1451955030_2023-03-19(1).thumb.png.eae10c05dfcd3de31a98df1eab7fb601.png 

Too much light shining directly onto the screen (video wall). Same can be said of the one directly behind the anchor desk.

Edited by jase

Easily the best set in the NYC market. I’m impressed how they were able to take KTLA’s design and New Yorkify it. The graphics look great as well.

How long has John Muller been anchoring weekend mornings? He’s held nearly every single timeslot at the station by now but great to see him around nonetheless.

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Easily the best set in the NYC market. I’m impressed how they were able to take KTLA’s design and New Yorkify it. The graphics look great as well.

How long has John Muller been anchoring weekend mornings? He’s held nearly every single timeslot at the station by now but great to see him around nonetheless.

Had to look back- but it looks like John started weekend AMs in September 2022. And thats true- during his entire PIX run John has anchored the main AM (with Suki, Lynne), 5pm, 6pm, 10pm, early AM , and now weekend AM slot. I must say him and Kirstin work really well together. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

On another note, I believe Ojinika Obiekwe is out as entertainment reporter (her bio is no longer on the website). I believe Dan and Hazel have been handling entertainment reports. Marysol or Ben would probably be the best replacement?

The set and graphics look great. The L3s however are terrible. 

Alot of unknown faces at WPIX from that video.

Oji was great, she had personality.

Edited by MediaZone4K

4 hours ago, DMA said:

Is Chris Cimino permanently off New York Living with his move to the PM weather?

I will say I think Alex and Marysol seem to have great chemistry on air. 

Yes, Chris is permanently on nights for now. Also new is that Justin Walters has joined the AM team as morning sports anchor (similar to Duke Castiglione); making room for the nexstar CEOs son Perry Sook to be main field sports reporter 

Checking the Saturday morning newscast, it appears they are doing soft filtering on some of the camera shots.

Having it on the wide camera shots is odd as the faces look way too soft.Video-2.thumb.jpeg.b7a5a4bb2e8bac4c5f7201f0cbb8ad03.jpegVideo-5.thumb.jpeg.e0eea348af115325d4bad43dd8ff6e4d.jpeg

Video-1.thumb.jpeg.98b91d40585dbef1c42c8cd1bb639300.jpeg

You can see the difference in this camera shot which does not appear to have the soft filtering.

Video.thumb.jpeg.b672e9da4865a408c18a524deb9107dc.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There's no confirmation, so please note pure speculation at this point. But there's reason to believe Tamsen is out as 10pm anchor (replaced by Shirley Chan). Thats mainly since Shirley has been anchoring last couple of nights and no longer says 'in for Tamsen' at 10pm but still does at 4/5/6 from what I saw last few days. Either way hopefully this is true- Shirley and Kori are great and bring the program the closest to the Jim and Kaity days, at least in my opinion. Also Shirley oozes professionalism in a way Tamsen never did. Either way if this is true- major step forward for PIX.

On 4/14/2023 at 12:30 AM, NYNewsCoverage said:

There's no confirmation, so please note pure speculation at this point. But there's reason to believe Tamsen is out as 10pm anchor (replaced by Shirley Chan). Thats mainly since Shirley has been anchoring last couple of nights and no longer says 'in for Tamsen' at 10pm but still does at 4/5/6 from what I saw last few days. Either way hopefully this is true- Shirley and Kori are great and bring the program the closest to the Jim and Kaity days, at least in my opinion. Also Shirley oozes professionalism in a way Tamsen never did. Either way if this is true- major step forward for PIX.

No more speculation. I just saw a spot during the Mets game with the new 10 PM team: Shirley, Kori, Irv and Moose.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

22 minutes ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

No more speculation. I just saw a spot [...] with the new 10 PM team: Shirley, Kori, Irv, and Moose.

Good. Finally! And after so long too. Shirley is a (near-)perfect, talented and well-deserved replacement, and I find her rapport with Kori professional yet refreshing and enjoyable. I wish her a tenure in the evenings as long as (if not longer than) Tamsen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newsjunker95 said:

How to fix the PM team:

4:00pm: Arianne and Shirley

5:00pm: Tamsen and Kori

6:00pm: Kala and John (Should have happened many years ago at this point)

10:00pm: Shirley and John.

And who's paying for them to have 6 weeknight anchors? Certainly not Nexstar or any sane station owner in 2023.

• Like 1