WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

Is this the best set in NY?

Based on this screen shot, nope.  It is way too busy, my eyes go to different background elements that seem to conflict with each other.  Hopefully the way it shows up on camera minimizes some of that.  

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 8:25 AM, Geoffrey said:

Is this the best set in NY?

Nope. I'd give it maybe 4th place so far. WCBS is still the best. Subtle, clean and sleek. Lighting isn't to harsh, so the anchors look smooth not washed out. The video walls don't look washed out by the HD either. The main desk video wall has a nice window pane set up similar to their mid 90s set. Their couch area has some decent physical detailing.

If I had to rank the market sets: WCBS > WNYW > WNJU > new WPIX (based off shots) > WNBC> WABC. 

image.jpeg.f26d7ed57119443e87b08c04705beb9f.jpeg

image.jpeg.10903e4dac7f16d49a423dffea8d173e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5c3a3e8fed6a31ee71c2818c4f25b792.jpeg

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

I think WPIX’s new set is great for the space they have to work with. Is it by far the best in NYC? No, but it doesn’t need to be. It needs to be the best for WPIX’s use and for the space they have to work with which honestly seems like it’s not much.

So far it looks based off the limited images we have to be utilizing the space way better than the previous set did, and is arguably the best use of studio space since the 2000s set. It’s sad it took them well over a decade to get a decent space to do the news, but it looks like they finally will have it.

The previous set did not age well and was a poor attempt at getting them back into a studio space after the failed newsroom era. That three-wall small-market set was never right for NYC, but was probably very cheap given Tribune’s money woes towards the end. It still amazes me that DailyMailTV used that set and made very little modification to it to use it. Quite frankly, I’m glad it’s gone.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Chopper4 said:

I agree.   WCBS has the best set.  And lighting.  I find it is the most polished set.  

And the worst set is WNBC.   That lucite table is horrendous.  It's not a desk, it's a table.  

WNJU was good till the updated it past it barebones. It almost like what WMAQ with their old set. Don’t leave WXTV out.

2 hours ago, BluesNews said:

I think WPIX’s new set is great for the space they have to work with. Is it by far the best in NYC? No, but it doesn’t need to be. It needs to be the best for WPIX’s use and for the space they have to work with which honestly seems like it’s not much.

So far it looks based off the limited images we have to be utilizing the space way better than the previous set did, and is arguably the best use of studio space since the 2000s set. It’s sad it took them well over a decade to get a decent space to do the news, but it looks like they finally will have it.

The previous set did not age well and was a poor attempt at getting them back into a studio space after the failed newsroom era. That three-wall small-market set was never right for NYC, but was probably very cheap given Tribune’s money woes towards the end. It still amazes me that DailyMailTV used that set and made very little modification to it to use it. Quite frankly, I’m glad it’s gone.

In terms of space, I definitely agree it seems to be using the space to the best ability (the fact there's a weather center now is an improvement); and I'm curious to see what the interview area will look like. The 2000s set was definitely dated but still was their best set by far. The 2015 set was an improvement in terms of a serious looking set compared to the 2011 set (which was high-tech but looked like an entertainment program) but still wasted space and looked cheap as mentioned. 

Agreed WCBS has the best set in the NY market by far and there's no reason to believe this will surpass that. I'd say this could beat out WNYW but will have to see the final product.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 11:05 AM, Chopper4 said:

I agree.   WCBS has the best set.  And lighting.  I find it is the most polished set.  

And the worst set is WNBC.   That lucite table is horrendous.  It's not a desk, it's a table.  

It sucks how WNBC has fallen aestetically because studios 6B and 3C were gorgeous. 3K, especially since they changed desks and moved to standing, is awful. But ABC 7 --the #1 local news station in the country -- looks pretty bad. Their set and HD quality looks cheap. At least WNBC has decent graphics. 

Overall for the number one market, NY is really lacking in terms of set design. 

On 2/7/2023 at 11:19 AM, BluesNews said:

Agreed that this is WPIX's best studio design since the WB 11 main set and morning kitchen set era. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

On 2/7/2023 at 7:11 PM, iron_lion said:

But ABC 7 --the #1 local news station in the country -- looks pretty bad. Their set and HD quality looks cheap. At least WNBC has decent graphics

Well you’re gonna have to wait a little longer maybe 5 more years. Trinity Church is not done yet I’ll be a historic move cause no New York station the number #1 especially a flagship has moved HQs buildings in fact all of ABC News will move there too. 

10 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Well you’re gonna have to wait a little longer maybe 5 more years. Trinity Church is not done yet I’ll be a historic move cause no New York station the number #1 especially a flagship has moved HQs buildings in fact all of ABC News will move there too. 

This will be especially different becuase most tv channels in NYC are located within/near Midtown, Manhattan. WNYW being the outlier as it's well into the Upper East Side. 

Edited by iron_lion

On 2/15/2023 at 9:50 PM, NYNewsCoverage said:

First look at what I'm guessing will be the new graphics/theme via a promo:

This was pointed out on the Discord, the music is almost identical to the NewsNation package made by SAM (4:59 in the video below), possible expansion for local stations? 

• Thought-Provoking 2

On 2/16/2023 at 4:18 AM, groupwfan said:

linearDRIFT at it again. And that sounds like a Arnold/NONSTOP Collab for their new theme...

Once and for all:

Rey Rodriguez of Linear Drift is the Art Director for Nexstar. In fact, his LinkedIn shows his "employment" at Linear Drift ending in 2015 when he started at Nexstar. Technically speaking, none of the Nexstar packs are "Linear Drift" graphics.

image.thumb.png.ef6cfec8d9dad9a44e437ff1c1de0f17.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thought-Provoking 1

59 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

For those wondering about the whereabouts of former AM anchor Betty Nguyen, she is now joining WFOR in Miami as morning anchor: https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/betty-nguyen-to-join-wfor-in-miami-as-morning-co-anchor/246985/

Glad she will have a new job; it was sad to me that PIX just suddenly let her go.

Do we have an explanation as to why Pix axed her?

18 hours ago, bgiesing said:

This was pointed out on the Discord, the music is almost identical to the NewsNation package made by SAM (4:59 in the video below), possible expansion for local stations? 

It’d be a heck of a lot cheaper for Nexstar to use the SAM NewsNation theme on all of their stations than handling dozens of themes, some of which are no different from the others (SAM’s custom theme for WJZY being the lone exception).

If Nexstar wants to make NewsNation anything more than a quick cash grab (thanks to retrans fees and nothing more) they’ll push the NN branding on all of their owned and/or operated stations. NewsNation PIX 11, NewsNation WGN 9, NewsNation KTLA 5, NewsNation WJW 8, etc.

Edited by Myron Falwell

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

It’d be a heck of a lot cheaper for Nexstar to use the SAM NewsNation theme on all of their stations than handling dozens of themes, some of which are no different from the others (SAM’s custom theme for WJZY being the lone exception).

If Nexstar wants to make NewsNation anything more than a quick cash grab (thanks to retrans fees and nothing more) they’ll push the NN branding on all of their owned and/or operated stations. NewsNation PIX 11, NewsNation WGN 9, NewsNation KTLA 5, NewsNation WJW 8, etc.

They should reverse the naming so it doesn't sound excessively long like CBS' O&Os

"PIX 11 NewsNation at 6" flows better. 

"PIX 11 NewsNation's Kaity Tong is in Midtown with the latest."

Edited by iron_lion
  • Thought-Provoking 1

On 2/18/2023 at 12:35 AM, NYNewsCoverage said:

For those wondering about the whereabouts of former AM anchor Betty Nguyen, she is now joining WFOR in Miami as morning anchor: https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/betty-nguyen-to-join-wfor-in-miami-as-morning-co-anchor/246985/

Glad she will have a new job; it was sad to me that PIX just suddenly let her go.

Well she's back at CBS News, at least in some compacity. Hopefully it is a launchpad to get back into the national spotlight, and maybe use her later on in their "local to national" plan, as they did Jamie Yuccas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

She may have left on her own.

This only my opinion based on what I saw when she.

On PIX - she seemed uncomfortable with the small talk banter with the others - not that she had a problem with the others she work with - Betty is a accomplished journalist and this type of fluff talk was going to hurt her credibility that she earned - nobody at fault, just a bad fit for all involved 

• Like 1