WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

capture_20221015_190038.thumb.jpg.cf7b6cce13956463472563e8d0fdf692.jpg

WPIX is gone from FiOS. "Our contract with Nexstar ended on October 14, 2022 and your Fios TV package contains Nexstar channels.  We currently do not have the rights to show their programming. We are trying our best to reach a reasonable deal with Nexstar and hope Nexstar will restore its channels to our lineup soon."
https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/content-agreement-information/content-information?CMP=OLA_CON_OTH_22222_NA_20220916_NA_NM20220085_00001

11 hours ago, MisterBill said:

Yes, they had issued a warning earlier in the week that their contract was running out and that Nexstar wanted too much money on the renewal. Noticed it when we went to watch the 5pm news today!

This has been covered in the retransmission consent squabbles board.  In some areas CBS, Fox and the CW are blacked out.  

31 minutes ago, IceManNYR said:

Those with FIOS can still watch the PIX11 newscasts on PIX11 website and app.

They still don't have an app for TV streaming devices since the change in ownership.

Interesting, when Tribune was in a retransmission fight with Optimum years ago, they actually blocked access from Optimum IP addresses.  You can watch CW shows on Hulu.

• Like 2

I noticed lately at 10pm when one anchor is off they no longer have fill-in anchors..they seem to only use fill-ins on the 5/6/6:30pm (I noticed for instance they had Shirley at 6:30pm tonight and then Kori solo at 10). Is it possible they changed contracts or don't want to overwork the early evening staff? Still tough for 1 anchor to do a full hour but I suppose Kaity Tong has been mastering it weekends for 10+ years now! Kori does a decent job under the circumstances too but it makes the broadcast seem underprepared and low priority. I've noticed they've done this some mornings at 4am with only one anchor but I would think that's a bit more acceptable assuming it is not a priority newscast like the 10pm should be. If anything they should just drop the 6:30 and make the 10pm the priority broadcast it deserves to be.

For instance I contrasted it with FOX5 who had Steve and Teresa (who we all know is not permanent). Much easier broadcast to watch with 2 anchors although agreed that Teresa is the better anchor there.

• Like 1

Just now, MisterBill said:

Nexstar and FiOS have come to an agreement and WPIX is back on the air.

I find it interesting that Nexstar/Mission want to have their cake and eat it too.  PIX 11 was blacked out on FiOS due to a retransmission consent disagreement between Nexstar and Verizon.  Meanwhile PIX 11 is blacked out on DrecTV due to Mission having a conflict with DirecTV.  DirecTV has accused Mission of just being Nexstar.  They deny this, yet with PIX 11 blacked out on FiOS, which was only a Nexstar conflict blows Mission's excuse out the window.  It is time to end the sham of the sidecar approach to skirt FDA regulations.  Mission can't choose who controls it based on circumstance.  It makes them less than credible.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:21 AM, MisterBill said:

Jennifer Bisram posted on IG that she's coming back to TV next Monday, but did not say at what station.

Turns out she's anchoring 10pm news on News12 Long Island. Seems like it might be temporary. Not sure what happened to the previous person, maybe one of the many laid off?

• 5 weeks later...

Are they still building the new studio? 

I was fortunate enough to visit LA a few weeks ago and I was able to witness KTLA's local coverage. They just debuted a great looking studio and they seem to have a better designed look to their graphics. KTLA's use of the graphics package makes WPIX's look second rate and not worthy of the number one market. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, IceManNYR said:

PIX11 is no longer live streaming newscasts. The newscasts now stream on a delay.

At 10pm the 5pm newscast is being rebroadcast.

Yep, just about every Nexstar station now runs their stream on a 2 hour delay. As of this very late night post, KTLA still appears to be live, but it probably won’t last long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, froyo49 said:

Yep, just about every Nexstar station now runs their stream on a 2 hour delay. As of this very late night post, KTLA still appears to be live, but it probably won’t last long.

And with that, here's another nail in Nexstar's coffin.

In the streaming era of today, this is a terrible move. Don't know what they were thinking. You'd get the 11pm news live before the 10pm reboradcast at 12am.

Also I wonder if there's any update on the new studio...my guess is they'd want it done before February sweeps?

Edited by NYNewsCoverage
  • Like 3

On 11/28/2022 at 8:52 PM, NYNews said:

Are they still building the new studio? 

I was fortunate enough to visit LA a few weeks ago and I was able to witness KTLA's local coverage. They just debuted a great looking studio and they seem to have a better designed look to their graphics. KTLA's use of the graphics package makes WPIX's look second rate and not worthy of the number one market. 

WPIX (and WABC) have the aesthetics of a lesser market. At least in WABC's case it's always been that way hasn't ever affected its popularity. West coats stations like KTLA, KABC and sonmewhat KNBC continue to beat NY set wise. 

15 hours ago, froyo49 said:

"...just about every Nexstar station now runs their stream on a 2 hour delay."

Just to provide perspective, Nexstar is not the only company to do this. Not sure if it's online but, based on my studies (streaming on TV), most NBC O&O local news channels on Peacock and Roku, and Hearst's Very Local channels run delayed newscasts as well. 

So Nexstar is not the first, but I hate the fact that this is a trend. The good news for NBC local streaming channels is that I've seen them go live for breaking news, and I believe that the NBC Boston news channel is live as well when simulcasting NECN. 

So hopefully Nexstar can still offer breaking news live. But still, not justifying this dumb move at all. 

Edited by NewEgg00
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NewEgg00 said:

Just to provide perspective, Nexstar is not the only company to do this. Not sure if it's online but, based on my studies (streaming on TV), most NBC O&O local news channels on Peacock and Roku, and Hearst's Very Local channels run delayed newscasts as well. 

So Nexstar is not the first, but I hate the fact that this is a trend. The good news for NBC local streaming channels is that I've seen them go live for breaking news, and I believe that the NBC Boston news channel is live as well when simulcasting NECN. 

So hopefully Nexstar can still offer breaking news live. But still, not justifying this dumb move at all. 

Although the NBC O&Os on Peacock are an hour delayed, they do offer live streaming for all newscasts from their website and apps.  Nexstar does not do that anymore.  In NY where Nexstar (oops Mission, wink, wink) competes with only O&O flagship stations all of which offer live streaming it is less an issue other than pure stupidity in a world where the cord was cut.  In other markets where Nexstar controls multiple stations, it can actually be a safety issue when major events or weather issues arise and too many viewers do not have cable access.  As brought up in other discussions of this very issue elsewhere on this site, it is irresponsible for Perry Sook to decide this approach.  It makes Nexstar  the not "must go to" station for live news.

• Like 3

I'm assuming the justification for this is to force people to watch local newscasts live on TV?

If they counted the streaming numbers, wouldn't that not make a difference? Plus, being online opens up your viewing audience to anyone anywhere in the country, such as residents who out of their market but looking to see what's going on back home. 

The facts are these: tv stations want more retransmission fees and cable is losing subscribers. Cable needs some help in ririberjustifying paying higher rate and stop the subscriber bleeding. In any case cable will be screwed in the couple of years with the advancements of ATSC3.0 - OTA broadcaster will be easier to receive and Tv will be able offer internet service, cell phone and other data products, even on demand, localized advertisements .so the cable sees the future and it is not good. Cable will go away like landline telephones

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...