WPIX - PIX11 News

Smitha A

Jennifer Bisram posted a farewell to PIX11 on IG and said that she's taking the summer off but will be back elsewhere.

Related to Candace McCowan leaving WABC and their needing a replacement? Of course, there have apparently been a bunch of News12 folks who quit recently and would be candidates to replace both.

Edited by MisterBill

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 9:01 PM, dabx said:

The trouble with 11 is that all of their newscast have the same “light and fluffy, morning type newscast. In the evening, one anchor starts the and the other one finished it  - and the worst evening news commercial is when they say how much like each other - laity an Jim didn’t do that. Stop the damn smiling and report important news with serious and authoritarian way of speaking

Plus why do they insist on having Kory and Tamsen --who aren't that strong of a pairing--anchor all of their newscasts. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It appears that John Muller is replacing Craig Treadway as weekend morning co-anchor with Kirstin Cole.  I tuned in this morning and Craig Treadway was anchoring the 4am newscast with Vanessa Freeman. 

Lots of changes at PIX, and Muller seems to have been demoted several times since he returned to the station as lead anchor. First, he was dropped from the 5 and 10pm newscasts in favor of Kori Chambers.  Then he was dropped at 6pm and moved to the early morning slot, and now weekend mornings. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, bc485 said:

Lots of changes at PIX, and Muller seems to have been demoted several times since he returned to the station as lead anchor. First, he was dropped from the 5 and 10pm newscasts in favor of Kori Chambers.  Then he was dropped at 6pm and moved to the early morning slot, and now weekend mornings. 

He's like Rodney Dangerfield -- no respect. Also, hadn't he disappeared for a while between being dumped from evening to resurfacing in the AM? Or was that the 6pm period?

Edited by MisterBill
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, nynewslover said:

I’m pretty sure he went to ABC for a time in between

According to Wikipedia, he was at ABC from 2011-2014, then back at WPIX. His Linkedin isn't complete, just shows WPIX. The WPIX website says "Previously, John co-anchored PIX11 News at 6 and “Midday with Muller,” the station’s first-ever digital-only broadcast." so maybe the digital broadcast was where he was while MIA.

Edited by MisterBill

Maybe not a demotion, but maybe a weekend anchor for NN

24 minutes ago, MisterBill said:

According to Wikipedia, he was at ABC from 2011-2014, then back at WPIX. His Linkedin isn't complete, just shows WPIX. The WPIX website says "Previously, John co-anchored PIX11 News at 6 and “Midday with Muller,” the station’s first-ever digital-only broadcast." so maybe the digital broadcast was where he was while MIA.

He was on ABC overnight before the evening gig on PIX

3 hours ago, bc485 said:

It appears that John Muller is replacing Craig Treadway as weekend morning co-anchor with Kirstin Cole.  I tuned in this morning and Craig Treadway was anchoring the 4am newscast with Vanessa Freeman. 

I’ve given up trying to understand the logic behind many of PIX’s staffing arrangements. The only constant at that station is change, and Muller’s certainly used to that.

• Like 1

For a while I thought they dropped Kirstin as anchor in favor of Ayana Harry (she anchored for almost the whole summer) with Craig Treadway, but they brought Kirstin back last weekend. It could also be that Star was indicating that he was joining the weekends for the first time but not on a permanent basis. So we shall see; either way Kirstin and Craig vs. Kirstin and John will not make much of a difference to me, both are solid pairs with lots of experience

Also wondering if the new studio will debut soon- my bets would be on the end of the month/start of October?

36 minutes ago, NYNewsCoverage said:

For a while I thought they dropped Kirstin as anchor in favor of Ayana Harry (she anchored for almost the whole summer) with Craig Treadway, but they brought Kirstin back last weekend.

I think that she was subbing on weekdays for a while. She also had some tennis matches and trips to the Cape on the weekend according to her IG page.

Muller was good next to Sukanya and Lynn White. He was and would be a good fit for the mornings, and the 10 am lifestyle slot. IDK what the consensus here is about Dan Mannarino. He seems to have a good energy.

My same feelings about Craig Treadway. He gets bounced around without being given a proper slot despite his tenure at the station. I liked him with Tiffany McElroy back in the day.

Add to that, PIX needs a better evening lineup than Kory and Tamsen  on every living newscast. 

Edited by iron_lion

Just because someone is on the weekends, it doesn't always mean it's a demotion. KTLA's Lynette Romero has co-anchored the KTLA 5 Weekend Morning News for quite some time now. Most will remember, Lynette was brought in from Denver to co-anchor weeknights with the legendary Hal Fishman. That pairing always seemed odd and the chemistry was weird. For many years after she was moved off of weekday nights, Lynette served as a GA reporter (which she does a great job). She found her stride again as a strong anchor on the weekends where she can show her personality. She's also a great fill-in on the weekdays when the A/B anchors are out.

Also, lets not forget Kathy Vara at KNBC. She was brought in during the mid 1990s to anchor next to Kent Shockneck on Today in LA. They were a strong team for many years. They domimated ratings at the time as well. Kathy left for KABC for a short time and has since returned to KNBC as weekend co-anchor. Again, Kathy does a fantastic job and knows the market. She's been a great go-to person when news breaks on the weekend (OC church shooting earlier this year). Should Colleen Williams retire or Carolyn Johnson choose to move on to something else, Kathy would definitely be the #1 choice to fill either seat if I were the ND.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

Just because someone is on the weekends, it doesn't always mean it's a demotion. KTLA's Lynette Romero has co-anchored the KTLA 5 Weekend Morning News for quite some time now. Most will remember, Lynette was brought in from Denver to co-anchor weeknights with the legendary Hal Fishman. That pairing always seemed odd and the chemistry was weird. For many years after she was moved off of weekday nights, Lynette served as a GA reporter (which she does a great job). She found her stride again as a strong anchor on the weekends where she can show her personality. She's also a great fill-in on the weekdays when the A/B anchors are out.

Also, lets not forget Kathy Vara at KNBC. She was brought in during the mid 1990s to anchor next to Kent Shockneck on Today in LA. They were a strong team for many years. They domimated ratings at the time as well. Kathy left for KABC for a short time and has since returned to KNBC as weekend co-anchor. Again, Kathy does a fantastic job and knows the market. She's been a great go-to person when news breaks on the weekend (OC church shooting earlier this year). Should Colleen Williams retire or Carolyn Johnson choose to move on to something else, Kathy would definitely be the #1 choice to fill either seat if I were the ND.

You can spin it anyway you want, it’s a demotion, unless they asked to be placed there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Muller was good next to Sukanya and Lynn White. He was and would be a good fit for the mornings, and the 10 am lifestyle slot. IDK what the consensus here is about Dan Mannarino. He seems to have a good energy.

My same feelings about Craig Treadway. He gets bounced around without being given a proper slot despite his tenure at the station. I liked him with Tiffany McElroy back in the day.

Add to that, PIX needs a better evening lineup than Kory and Tamsen  on every living newscast. 

I find mornings on PIX to be more solid than evenings at least in anchor diversity. (now technically 3 anchor teams if you count NY living). 

I've given up understanding having Kori & Tamsen anchor 4 separate newscasts, and Tamsen anchoring 5 lol. I also feel that Arrianee LeBeau is also not a great fit outside the 4pm despite how often she'll fill in (she actually makes Tamsen look like a stronger anchor, so perhaps that was the point). I'd like to see someone like Ayana Harry or Katie Corrado fill in more often weeknights

• Like 1

There's such a thing as over exposure. If I have an anchor team that I reguard as my best, I wouldn't want them on every living newscast to the point where the audience gets tired of seeing them. I don't even find Kori and Tamsen to be that strong of an anchor team to be the lead duo.

Going down this road again but Kaity Tong should still be on weekday evenings & nights, especially given that Mr. G is still there. The 10 PM slot has not recovered quality wise from her and Watkins' departures.

PIX 11 needs a more diverse anchor line up in the evenings, and a less cheap looking aesthetic. They have some things going for them like an authentic New York local feel, (something WCBS lacks), but there's still major room for improvement.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

The 6 and 10pm should take a harder approach with no jovial news anchors. Bring back the likes of Bill Jorgensen, Jim Watkins, Pat Harper) and used the seasoned reporters only that they have (Murphy, Harry, Ford, Rothschild) and have a news set that does not look like every other news show - have an evening news set that says ‘we mean business no fooling around’

• Like 1

John should've never left 6 and 10pm. The station has gone downhill since October 2010 when Kaity and Jim were demoted in favor of a solo anchor being Jodi Applegate herself. Since then, the station has been suffering through a lot of changes that were not necessary. When John rejoined in 2014, rating started to increase beating WNBC and WNYW. 

• Like 3

I really do believe that Nexstar will eventually build back WPIX. WPIX really got screwed by there former owners and management. Is it going to happen overnight, no, but at least give Nexstar a chance and stop bringing up the bad decisions made by non-Nexstar management years ago.

On 9/6/2022 at 1:23 PM, dabx said:

Maybe not a demotion, but maybe a weekend anchor for NN

He was on ABC overnight before the evening gig on PIX

He probably should’ve stayed with ABC, who knew they would d him like that. What’s worse is that when he rejoined they beat FOX 5 and NBC4 they even brought a truck to brag about it.

• Like 1

I've aired my grievance before about Brenda Blackmon and Kaity, and I'll say something similar about Muller. It's a disappointment that his tenure in the evenings didn't last (while Tamsen Fadal's still there) and that he was pushed off to weekends (and she wasn't). They should've kept John on weekdays and demoted her. I previously found Tamsen an okay anchor, but now I must ask... What do they see in her? Why is she still where she is? And what is so important about her that the execs insist she's their main face of their news op -- when better is right in front of them? Does she have an ironclad contract or something?

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Tamsen would be fine in smaller doses (not literally every evening broadcast)...everytime I see Kaity on the weekends (although I'm grateful she's still on the schedule at all) I think of how she was back on weekdays in 2016 only to be dropped within 6 months or so. Even if they just gave the "evening news" (6:30pm) program to her or the 6pm it would draw in many viewers and give competition to the Dana Tyler/Chuck Scarborough/Bill Ritter (and formerly Lori Stokes) fans.

PIX has definitely gotten worse with the constant morning changes too (why switch Craig to weekends only to switch him back to weekdays and completely demote John; the Betty Ngueyn story etc etc); I frankly given up understanding their logic for it. Dan has been the only real constant since Suki left. It's nice they're getting a new studio but I really hope they get to improving their broadcasts and stop changing talent (particularly in the AMs) constantly; I feel like the more you move talent around like that the more likely they are to just leave all together.

• Like 4